“Rarely had such a horrible experience.”
Review of Toroli

Toroli
Ranked #349 of 5,778 Restaurants in Montreal
Cuisines: French, Japanese, Fusion
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: Le Plateau Mont-Royal
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
“Rarely had such a horrible experience.”
Reviewed October 3, 2013 via mobile

I have rarely had such a negative dinning experience in montreal.right after the complications I had with making the reservation by phone I felt something was off. Restaurant is small, white, bland. The staff wasnt very welcoming but it was expected after my phone call. Overall dinnin experience was just Ok, although the price is very steep 30+$ for main plates with nothing new or mindblowing flavors to offer. The real problem came when my gfs piece of meat came well done when asked rare and I found a hair in my main plate. This was told to the waiter and nothing was offered in return, not even to exchange the plates!! The table next to us arrived at 7:18pm for their 7pm reservation and they were told they could not eat at the establishment and were to leave even though the 5 tables in the restaurant were not even full! Ridiculous. Overall, there are sooo many great restaurants in Montreal, places like this have no reason for its existence. Please save yourself 200$ for 2 and go to an establishment that will be happy to see you and proud of their food.

4 Thank Marco P

Chicago, Illinois
“A great experience”
Reviewed September 25, 2013 via mobile

We made a reservation here based on all the great reviews here and on other sites. It's in a neat little hip area very close to the Mount Royal metro stop. The only negative was actually trying to find it. The first time we walked down the side street it's on we walked right past it as there is no signage other than the menu in the window. In addition the building is painted black an white like the side of a cow. Not something you would expect for a French/Japanese Fusion place. Hopefully they'll change this as U think street traffic walk right by not knowing what type of place it is.

Once you walk in its a quaint little place that reminds me of restaurants in the little nooks and crannies of Tokyo. It has room for maybe 16 guests. The server and the chef are very friendly and added to our experience.

I won't dive in to each item we ate but every course was excellent. If we ever go back to Montreal this will be the first place we make a reservation.

6 Thank David P
Montreal, Canada
“Fantastic meal”
Reviewed September 8, 2013

Dont expect your typical sushi joint here. I will only say that the finesse and quality of the meal was superbe. My wife and I had different dishes as had diff tasting menus. The top dishes were the foie gras ( incredible ) and the cod for me while my wife enjoyed her seafood soup. Tiny resto that deserves the foodie crowd as this is very different from the ordinary.

6 Thank gohabsgo67
California Hot Springs, California
“Great Chef”
Reviewed September 2, 2013

The food was excellent, well presented and innovative, and tasty. Portions were a good size, enough and not too much. The restaurant is small and doesn't look like much, and we could actually see the chef slaving over each dish to finalize the presentation. He was definitely very much into the cooking and dish preparation.

• Visited June 2013
6 Thank maggie j
Helsinki, Finland
“Great experience”
Reviewed July 21, 2013

This is a a very small restaurant with great food and quite nice wine list.
I think the other reviews pretty much explain the place - one ambitious cook in a small kitchen preparing delicious food. It seems the cook only really serves 1-2 tables at the time and as we were the first ones the food came really quickly (not much time between the dishes to settle down).

The 5 course menu was a bit too heavy and we both left circa half of our main courses on the plate. This was a real shame as my main course (paradis de la mer) was one of the best dishes I've had. I would recommend sharing some of the portions if you are used to the "European sized" dishes. The service was professional and friendly even though they could know more about the wine list.

• Visited June 2013