“Weekend Getaway” 5 of 5 bubbles

Toroli
Ranked #261 of 5,657 Restaurants in Montreal
Cuisines: French, Japanese, Asian, Fusion
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Accepts Visa, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Le Plateau Mont-Royal
Toronto, Canada
“Weekend Getaway”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2012

My husband and I went to Toroli last night (Fri Aug24). I found this place from TripA and just wanted to give it a try. We didn't make a reservation but lucky enough to get the table at 8. My husband ordered Tasting menu 5 courses with Filet mignon. His was med rare and meat was so tender. He said it was the best meal he ever had. We also got salad, miso soup and appetizer of the day. They were excellent!!! taste was far better than typical Japanese food. You can't compare them with the Toroli. To my main course I got the seafood roll and it was so delicious, a little bit of heat. I would recommend to anyone who loves to eat good food. This place is the best and must try. We will come back again for next visit to Montreal!!!

4 Thank Poppiko

Monaco-Ville, Monaco
“Fantastic - Don't Judge a Book by it's Cover”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2012

I travel a lot and eat out more than most. I would therefore say I'm pretty well qualified to say the food is fantastic. Really really something special.

I will warn you and say you will read reviews here and look at their site and get the the restaurant and it will NOT be what you expect. It looks a bit like a cafe in a sidestreet. Don't be put off. That added to the atmosphere in my view. The place is owned by a really nice Japanese couple who moved to Montreal to learn French cuisine. They are doing an amazing job.

Go - you won't regret it.

3 Thank takemetohrb
Brighton, United Kingdom
“Fantastic”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2012

Unbelievable food. This restaurant is a must. Dont be fooled from the outside, it was a quiet night and nobody in the restaurant so we were hesitant to go in even though we booked. Well it was the best restaurant I have been to in years. The chef and server were amazing. Well done , it should be number 1 on trip advisor.

4 Thank theshutterman
Montreal, Canada
“One of Montreal’s best restaurants!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2012

This was our second visit to Toroli, which we find to be perfect for a romantic dinner for two or a special outing with a few foodie friends, since swanky décor is less important to us than savouring original creations that make taste buds practically dance for joy! The textbook definition of a hidden gem, Toroli is tucked away down a narrow one-way street, just a 2-minute walk from the Mont-Royal metro station. Don’t be alarmed by the incongruous mural of a cow out front, a holdover from the previous tenants; inside, you will find a homey ambiance and attentive, knowledgeable service.

An earlier reviewer stated that the main course alone cost $43, but in fact this is the per-person price of the least expensive five-course tasting menu (there are two other options at $46 and $48). A six-course tasting menu is also available for $65. For those who prefer to order à la carte, individual main-course dishes currently range from $25 to $42—admittedly not cheap, but very reasonable considering the excellence of each dish.

Since Toroli has only six tables, to be safe you should reserve by phone (the restaurant’s website does not offer online booking), though only one other table was occupied during our latest visit so walk-ins would have been seated immediately.

Previous reviewers have applied a long list of superlatives to Toroli. They are not exaggerating! The Japanese–French fusion dishes here are a revelation, and can compete with the very finest anywhere.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank WMarkR
Toronto, Canada
“Yum-O”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2012

First of all, it was an interesting place, very tiny but the food and flavour was not! I live in Toronto and we have pretty excellent Asian Cuisine and I would admit that held up and delivered. Everything was flavourful excellent technique - My boyfriend ordered the filet mignon and was perfectly done to a medium rare standard and my Palais De La Mer Roll was the best roll ever. Nothing will compare. For a fusion, dead on!! I will return on my next visit to Montreal. Apps were super awesome as well.

• 4 of 5 bubbles