“Fantastic food. Fantastic value. Charming and intimate.”
Review of Toroli

Toroli
Ranked #362 of 5,820 Restaurants in Montreal
Cuisines: French, Japanese, Fusion
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Neighborhood: Le Plateau Mont-Royal
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Fantastic food. Fantastic value. Charming and intimate.”
Reviewed November 24, 2011

This restaurant was one of our favorite experiences in Montreal. The food was gorgeous and absolutely delicious. The person who prepared our dinner was truly a serious talent.

The space was casually elegant and had only about 4 tables so it felt intimate. The service was great - the right balance of attentiveness and leaving us alone to enjoy our meal and sake for quite some time.

A lovely experience. Highly recommended.

• Visited July 2011
4 Thank SnowyPlover

Los Angeles, California
“Best Japanese Restaurant in Montreal !”
Reviewed November 21, 2011

This is the place to go if you like real Japanese food ! Forget about the sushis place cooked by" chinese chef". Here, you will experience the high japanese gastronomy. The restaurant does not look beautiful, everything is clean and simple, but in your plate, it is Christmas everyday ! Don't miss it ! Great food for an average price. But don't forget to reserve. The restaurant has 18 places, and no more !

• Visited November 2011
7 Thank ViktorTatran
Cornwall, UK
“Divine”
Reviewed November 16, 2011

Having read the reviews it had a lot to live up to. As has been said already the building and surroundings deceive you into thinking that you might be in the wrong place. Inside is cosy but clean and very welcoming. Quite how the chef manages to produce such amazing food is difficult to understand since he prepares it all within the confines of a very small space, but as you can see from the illustrations on this site, the presentation is fabulous and what is more important it is absolutely delicious. The meat dishes we had were rare - so if you don't like it that way it might be worthy of a request beforehand, but they were without exception gorgeous. Service was also exemplary throughout. We were so impressed that we have already booked to return next week!

• Visited November 2011
4 Thank Squadronblue
North Gower
“Fantastic Japanese Fusion off the beaten path.”
Reviewed October 21, 2011

After checking out Tripadvisor and reading all the reviews, we visited Toroli's on a rainy Thursday night and were absolutely blown away by the excellent food and attentive service.
We walked past the place and had to check the address again. It's tucked in a small building off of busy St-Denis. The place is small, but very inviting. It was a slow night (due to the thunderstorm) so we basically had the place to ourselves. The waiter was very friendly and very attentive. We started with the Kinoko “PariPari”. The flavours and textures were very complex and complimented each other. The portion was enough for 2, and at $10- it was very reasonably priced. We didn't have any wine, so I can't speak to the wine list, but we did have gazified water, and it was the most reasonably priced I have seen in a while ($4/L). We then shared 2 meals: White tuna dressed in yuzu and Duck in miso. Both were great- the sauces enhanced the flavour of the tuna and duck, without being overpowering. The caramalized apples with the duck were stellar- a great accompaniment and the sweetness blended well with the sauce. The wheat grain Tabouli with the tuna was cooked perfectly. Portion sizes and the prices were right on.

We ended with some japanese tea (compliments of Toroli's).

We are definitely telling all our friends/family about this place- highly recommended.

• Visited October 2011
3 Thank NorthGowerMurphy
“Foodie approved ; )”
Reviewed October 11, 2011

I have been to most of the top restaurants in Montreal (Club Chasse et Peche, Toque, Laurie Raphael etc.) and I really enjoyed this restaurant. We started with a sake that was presented in a sake glass placed inside of a pine box. The sake was then poured to overflowing. At the end you have the last sip from the box and you can smell the aroma of the wood. My husband and I each ordered one of the table d'hote. We were surprised by the generous portions in everything. I got the one with the foie gras. It has been a while -- my husband and I each had a beautiful, generous and creative salad, decorated with small edible flowers. Then I had miso marinated cod and my husband ordered some fish tempura roll, which was a chef specialty that was good but a little dry. I enjoyed my foie gras dish and my husband had the toro steak, both were very good. I don't see toro steak offered often on Japanese menus so this was interesting.

The service is very gracious and friendly. You can see the chef at work in the kitchen from your table. The room is very small and the decor is simple, intimate. In the summer time you will be a little hot, there is no AC. I don't think that the menu is changed frequently although there are some chef specials. On balance, we left happy and satisfied and I am pleased to recommend Toroli.

• Visited August 2011