“Fantastic!!”

Good for: Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: Le Plateau Mont-Royal
Reviewed April 1, 2011

This was by far my best Japanese gastronomical experience in Montreal and I've been to Jun I and many others. The service was extremely friendly and refined. The restaurant is small and the decor very intimate so you might want to reserve. Each dish was both visually breathtaking and delicious. The Sakizuke ( a series of small appetizers) were amazing. A particularly nice touch was our glass of sake, filled to overflow into a small wooden box. This place is a real gem. Will definitely return.

2  Thank tedfon

Reviewed March 21, 2011

I have been to 3 star Michelin restaurants in Paris and Tokyo and I have to say that hands down this little restaurant takes the cake. I was visiting Montreal with my boyfriend in January and based on a recommendation from a friend we decided to try Toroli - and what a culinary experience it was!! I think we had about 8 dishes in total (all beautifully prepared and simply wonderful) but there were a few that stood out which I wish to share with you. First - one of the appetizers was a piece of tuna (barely seared) with black truffles, a bit of greenery, and an ever so slight hint of spicy sauce. That little spoonful is probably the tastiest thing I have ever tried. The flavours and textures went so well together - it was truly a work or art. The second dish I wish to elaborate on is the duck magret with fois gras. I live in Geneva (which is in close proximity to the fois gras region of France) and I have to say that the fois gras is up there with some of the best I have had. It was heated to a perfect temperature and combined with the magret (which was also cooked for the exactly right amount of time) - it was like a symphony in my mouth.

I could go on about every dish - but I will suffice it to say that you should really just go and try this restaurant yourself. The summer months are approaching and Montreal is a a great little city - so I recommend that you plan a trip just to visit this restaurant. For lovers, colleagues, business partners - you name it - this restaurant is simply the best!!

8  Thank LTfood
edhazer, Manager at Toroli, responded to this reviewResponded May 10, 2011

We thank you for this extraordinary compliment.
We don't believe we live up to this very kind comment (yet) but are very pleased you enjoyed your meal.

Reviewed March 21, 2011

Don't let the cow-like paint pattern outside mislead you. Entering Toroli is walking into gastronomy at its finest.
The atmosphere inside is wonderful, with the Chef and a server taking care of customers in a friendly manner yet keeping enough distance, in the tiny locale, to make Toroli ideal for a romantic date, a formal business dinner or, of course, a gathering of friends that are passionate about food like in our case.
We chose the more elaborate out of the two menus available when we visited. It consisted in three small appetizers, soup, salad, two main courses, dessert and tea. The pace at which the different courses came, dictated by the preparation time, was perfect for such an arrangement. The succession was also very well thought through and the accompanying sake, an excellent match suggested by the Chef and server out of the several sakes they carry.
The highlights of the dinner were the beef carpaccio and the tuna with truffle appetizers, and the foie gras Toroli. The latter was an harmoniously presented duck Rossini (duck with foie gras and truffles) whose flavors were in perfect balance (not easy while combining rare duck with foie gras).
Honestly, I could write a VERY long review of Toroli (I was so positively impressed that I took pictures of each dish, the menu and the sake I drunk) but I will stop with the next paragraph.
I put Toroli among my favorite restaurants in the world and rank my culinary experience there up high with those I had at Le Bristol in Paris, Le Petit Nice in Marseille, Le Cerf in Cossonay and Fonda Gaig in Barcelona. Being all of the above starred by the Michelin Guide and bearing in mind that I consider inferior all other restaurants I have been with only 1 Michelin star, I could only conclude that Toroli would deserve 1 or 2 stars in my book.

3  Thank TheERV
Reviewed December 12, 2010

This is what trip advisor is about. I am a native Montrealer and would never have found this place (nor walked in with the outside painted in cow motif by a previous owner). For about 50 bucks per person amazing presentation (when did you last awe at a miso soup?) and taste (fresh, varied herbs). For nouvelle cuisine type presentations, the portions are more than generous.

3  Thank radioactivedave
Reviewed September 13, 2010

We were delighted to walk into this small, gracious restaurant. The server was quiet, interested and obviously proud of what had been created there. We did not have reservations yet they accommodated us gracefully, explaining in English the menu and specials that were available. The tables were covered with cloth table cloths and interesting art pieces were placed around the small room. The food was artfully prepared and presented. We had the special selection which was a salmon ball/bouillabaisse chowder for me and a seaweed salad for my husband. The appetizer was a marinated dish of three kinds of fish, salmon, butter fish and white tuna. The main entree was duck and apple for my husband (sorry I don't have the artful name for this) and drunken fish for me. Everything was truly excellent. You could choose sake or dessert. I chose sake and our hostess brought out not one but two types for me to try since as she said I was from Michigan and maybe hadn't tried to many types. The first was from a small distillery and was hand crafted. The second was from a larger distillery and had won a major award. They were both delightful. My husband had a parfait made from whip cream, cake and wild tarragon sauce. Some thing we really liked was our hostess's special attention to our experience including recommending that we move to a quieter table. The table that where we were sitting was too close to a boisterous group that made it difficult for us to talk. We had not noticed this, until she did, but were grateful once we moved. The new table sat by an open window that looked out on the evening street and passersby. An unforgettable evening that we hope you will try.

4  Thank 2beebee