“Not long and very interesting.”

Chateau Ramezay Historic Site and Museum of Montreal
Book In Advance
More Info
$125.46*
and up
Old Montreal Private Walking Tour
Ranked #50 of 429 things to do in Montreal
More attraction details
Owner description: Montreal’s portal to its past, the Chateau Ramezay was the first building in Quebec to be classified an historic monument. Chosen as one of the 1001 Historic Sites You Must See Before You Die, the Château invites you to relive more than 500 years of history, from the pre-contact Amerindian era to the 20th century.A not-to-be-missed heritage landmark in Old Montreal, the Château Ramezay holds fascinating collections, displayed in numerous exhibits, intermingled with multimedia portrayals of historical figures recounting, in six languages, highlights of their lives at the Château. Items in the museum shop reflect this legacy.Visit the Governor's Garden and experience delights typical of an urban garden in New France. In summer, a courtyard café overlooks the garden.
Reviewed July 19, 2012 via mobile

It gave you a real feel for what it was like to live in old Montreal.

All reviews
in 29 reviews
"costumes"
in 17 reviews

Reviewed July 4, 2012

I spent over 2 hours in this small museum listening to the interactive displays as well as viewing the artifacts. You can set the head phones to English or French, and a few other languages if I remember correctly. I knew next to nothing about the early French history of Montreal or Quebec in general, but I learned a lot here. There were parents w/their children of about 6-10 who seemed to enjoy looking at the children's clothes, toys, etc. Really interesting if you are a history buff. The gardens, which are free, are very pretty and serene.

Reviewed June 26, 2012

We walked by this beautiful restored building in Old Montreal several times because it is close to a very popular plaza. I didn't take much notice of it because I hadn't read anything in particular about it. We had some time on our hands so we popped in and were pleasantly surprised by the quality and quantity of the exhibits. Granted the exhibits are a little dry but if you take the time, there is much to be learned about the complex history of Montreal as reflected in the history of this house. Definitely worth a visit.

Reviewed June 24, 2012

We only visited the garden here, but it was worth the time for a quick side trip when visiting the old city. Flowers, vegetables, and other plants laid out in a formal setting; relaxing to stroll among the flower beds.

See more reviews
Reviewed June 17, 2012

I wandered into the garden first (almost by accident) - gorgeous layout, but very little information provided...and I didn't realize the garden was attached to the museum until I wandered up the path and came face-to-face with a costumed interpreter! The house is beautiful as well, although I wish there was more inside. The exhibits are bare-bones with some nice art work but very little else. There was a school group of some sort in there the same time as I was and the kiddos were obviously excited - great to see them excited about history (and their tour guide!) but I decided not to fight with 25 little voices and left before I saw the entire house. Still, it was nice and I might go back if I have time to see the basement.