“Pretty neat place, good for families”

Biodome de Montreal
Ranked #18 of 412 things to do in Montreal
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Along with the Botanical Garden, the Insectarium and the Rio Tinto Alcan Planetarium, teh Biodôme is part of the Montréal Space for Life, Canada's largest natural museum science complex and Montreal's top must see attraction. Travel baggage-free at the Biodôme! Embark on an immersive, sensory journey through the ecosystems of the Americas. Listen to the sounds of the tropical rainforest, go in search of lynx in the Laurentian maple forest, dive into the heart of the Gulf of St. Lawrence and give a wink and a nod to the penguins in the sub-polar regions. Listen as our nature interpreters let you in on the secrets this fascinating biodiversity holds. An oasis in the heart of the city, the Montreal Biodome recreates some of the most beautiful ecosystems of the Americas which allows plans and animals to live as in their natural habitats.A unique experience of nature and fun !
New Hartford, Connecticut
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Pretty neat place, good for families”
Reviewed March 23, 2013

The concept is very cool and they are serious about trying to preserve the authenticity of the ecosystems. They even have the birds reproduce (very challenging in caprtivity) to replenish the population. You can see natural nests, animals behaving pretty close to how they would in the wild, and lots of interesting flora.

The cons are:
1. It gets very crowded. We waited in a very long line and some areas had a flow of traffic that made it difficult to see what was going on; and
2. Some ecosystems do not feature much wildlife. I know, it's very difficult to maintain animals in man-made ecosystems, especially while trying to be true to conditions, but it would be more fun with more animals.

I recommend this for families, especially with smaller children. I don't so much reommend it for people who have been to a lot of similar museums.

Visited July 2012

21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 40 helpful votes
“Fun For All Ages”
Reviewed March 19, 2013

The Biodome is a great stop in Montreal. So much to learn and experience, and fun for "kids"' of any age! I had been before in school, but my boyfriend had never been. It was a great break in travel back to the NB from Ontario. Give yourself a few hours to really enjoy searching for all of the animals in the rainforest exhibit, and have fun appreciating all of the life in the Biodome.

There seemed to be a lot of construction going on (mostly on the grounds, and parking areas) which caused some serious confusion getting parked, and in/out of the Biodome, but once we were in, it was a great time. We did not have a positive experience with parking, but hopefully this will be resolved shotly. Food was also a challenge. There was one tiny cafe (mind you we did visit during the Ontario March Break) with little selection, and was very overpriced. I suggest you eat prior to going! Note - you are not able to eat while in the exhibits - human food and garbage is not animal friendly! :)

Toronto, Canada
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 72 helpful votes
“Lots of Fun (for the whole family)”
Reviewed March 17, 2013

Fantastic spot. Each of us throroughly enjoyed the tour (including our 14 year old son .. he loved it). I cannot put down in words everything that I would like to say ... it is "all good". One warning - parking is brutal as they would not allow us access to the Olympic stadium parking. We had a nice walk to the car - not a big deal; but, something to be prepared if the weather is bad.

Newmarket, Canada
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Good way to spend an hour or so”
Reviewed March 16, 2013

Don't rush through the biodome - take your time to watch and see the hiding animals. The first area is quite crowded and you have a feeling of being 'pushed' along - don't let this happen. You'll need about an hour or so to go through.

Toronto, Canada
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Interesting But Not World Class”
Reviewed March 16, 2013

Hi Fellow Travellers,

Maybe I've become a snob but I found the Biodome just 'ok'. Don't get me wrong, it was a neat experience but not worth the $12 for parking and then $18 entrance fee.

The concept of the Biodome is what attracted me in the first place - seeing animals in their 'natural' habitats. I was hoping to see several species of animals roaming around only to be disappointed to see only a handful of animals (majority being birds that I can see at the Walmart parking lot). Don't get me wrong, I think for Canada, the Biodome is really good, but I've been to zoos/aquariums in other places of the world (Chicago, Osaka) that blow this place out of the water. Length was another issue I had with the Biodome. I was hoping this would take up an entire afternoon but it only took an hour and a half to walk the entire exhibit (walking at a really slow pace). Other, similar attractions took me hours to walk through and that was rushing through it.

Sorry to say folks, but unless you have kids begging to check out the Biodome, I would pass on this one.

Happy travels!