“Thanks to my daughter/Real treat”
Review of Avie Spa

Avie Spa
Ranked #66 of 94 Spas & Wellness in Montreal
More attraction details
Owner description: AVIE Spa - Old Montreal - Located in the Marriott Springhill Suites in a warm and welcoming hospitality in the heart of charming and historic Old Montreal. Avie Spa is a relaxing, pampering, and nourishing environment just for you. We feature some of the finest quality spa products and services including hammam, body treatments, hair cuts, massages, manicures, pedicures, hair removal and so much more!
Reviewed November 25, 2013

To celebrate my retirement, my daughter booked a double massage & hammam( steam bath) at Avie Spa. Very nicely greeted, we got to choose the essential oils for our massage, then guided to a private change room with lockers + restroom/shower. Everything is perfectly clean: towels/bathrobe/flip-flops, etc (I brought my own flip-flops). We were taken to the hammam, where we were shown how to control the amount of steam/heat and lighting !! They have some low lights that change color. Everything for a very RELAXING experience.
The 1hour massage was provided by a very professionnal therapist, who took the time to enquire about special requests or concerns. This was my first 'couple' massage as well as with my daughter, and was very enjoyable, relaxing. Thanks Caro !!
GREAT SPA, REASONABLE prices -- receipts are provided -- very SOOTHING.
NOTE: do NOT park at the hotel next door... $16 for 2 hours... find alternate parking in the area.

All reviews
"zen"
"robe"
"advanced"

Reviewed June 27, 2013

I have been to many spas in my lifetime, and go for regular massages, but never have I had as enjoyable experience as I did when on holiday recently in Montreal. Thanks to a deal on Livingsocial.com, and a whim, my husband and I decided to book a couple's massage to cap off our week in Montreal. We figured we would have been so busy and have walked so much that we would be in need of some relaxation - and a good massage would be a welcome treat.

The service here was fantastic, from everyone we dealt with, and my massage therapist was definitely the best I've ever had (Abdel). It was a lovely relaxing environment, and it felt like we were the only ones there. Nice selection of aromatherapy oils and I like how they present you with samples in test tubes to smell and decide which you would like the massage therapist to use. It was nice to have the sauna to ourselves, even nicer to have a cooler room to escape to when it got too hot, and a pitcher of water and glasses there for us.

Great facilities including a lovely private shower with nice products. The only thing missing was a hair dryer.

Worth every penny. If I lived in Montreal, I would definitely be making this a regular thing. And certainly the next time we are there on holiday we will be making this one of our 'to do's!

1  Thank AJM_13
Reviewed June 17, 2013

I was pleasantly surprise with my visit at this spa. The place is very neat and soothing and the receptionist was very friendly. I got myself an access to the hammam, an hour massage and an advanced facial. All services were fantastic. Not only was the treatments very good but the prices are reasonable for the services you receive. You even have complimentary clean towel and robe for your stay and don't have to pay any extra cost. Would definitely go back to this little jewel :)

2  Thank Nico M
Reviewed June 14, 2013

The spa is small, but clean and charming. The receptionist was kind and welcoming. Since I had come in for an aromatherapy massage, she gave me the standard form to fill out regarding injuries, illness, and so on, so that the massage therapist would have this information. I was invited to spend time in the hammam before the massage. It was small, which was fine because I was the only one in there. That part of the visit was very relaxing. The receptionist was also kind enough to collect my wet swimsuit from the changing room and to put it in a plastic bag for me.
The massage therapist seemed like a lovely woman, but spoke to me with very limited English. I could barely understand her. I doubt she spoke any French, either, so I am surprised that she had been employed to work at a spa that is in a hotel, as I am sure that a lot of the guests who go to this spa are tourists. I doubt that she even read the standard form that I had filled out, because she tried, again in broken English, to ask about any injuries. Not that she understood my reply, anyway.
Once the massage started, I asked her if she could soften the pressure, and she did not understand. She asked me "Heavy? Or no heavy?" So I had to reply "No heavy".
Her hands were very rough and her movements very jerky. Usually, a "relaxing" massage means long, enveloping movements that make you feel good and relax deeply. I felt physically stressed the whole time, and in fact, couldn't wait for it to be over. She would dig into the same spots again and again, and it hurt!
Even though I was deeply unsatisfied by the experience, I gave her a 15% tip. When I told the receptionist about my experience, she acted as though it was my fault and that some people actually liked that technique of massage! She then coldly said that she was sorry that I didn't like the experience (which really left me cold).

2  Thank Happy_Travel_Bug
CATALINA C, Owner at Avie Spa, responded to this reviewResponded February 26, 2014

Dear client:

It is really unfortunate that you didn't enjoy your massage at Avie Spa. According to our files you had one of the most qualified massage therapists at the spa with over 1000 hours in formation and several years of experience in different techniques.

It is indeed true that as an inmigrante the therapist you had has some trouble to communicate in English but she speaks French and Spanish fluently. The most important, she always makes an effort to communicate with the client as clearly as possible to be able to give her best massage according to your needs. As you mention, it would be ideal that all of our massage therapist could perfectly speak English and French but this is not the case for all of them and in Quebec you are allowed to hire someone as long as they speak French.

Here at Avie Spa we offer our clients the best. We make sure that every massage therapist reads carefully the clients form before giving a massage so it is disrespectful to suggest that in this case she didn't. I can assure you she did because as a professional and registered massage therapist her deontology code and her professional responsibility demands that she does before giving any therapy and specially before signing the form acknowledging its content. As a reassurance I went over the file and it has not only her signature but comments concerning the massage given.

In respect to the type of maneuvers done in a relaxation massage, it seem from what you describe that you were expecting more a lymphatic drainage were movements are soft and slow. Indeed, a relaxation massage can vary very much according to the therapist and the spa you go to. Here at Avie Spa our relaxation massage is not characterized by superficial movements. It is a combination of different techniques and we strive towards giving a therapeutic massage more than a superficial relaxation one, in order to relieve the clients stress points which at the end is way more beneficial for you and has long lasting effects of well being.

Once again we were really disappointed to read your review because we offered you the best (as you mention at the beginning of your post), but for sure everybody is different and have different likings so you are entitled to your opinion and we respect it and appreciate your feedback.

As for the receptionist telling you she was sorry, I strongly believe she was truly concerned as she then noted to me (the owner) that you left dissatisfied and she wanted to enquire why. So even though it might have sounded cold to you, she was genuinely troubled by your unsatisfactory experience.

We hope that in the future you reconsider coming back to our spa as we do regret having unhappy customers when the client is always our top priority.