“Tasteful, warm and welcoming....”
Review of La Conciergerie

La Conciergerie
Ranked #26 of 144 Montreal B&B and Inns
Niskayuna, New York
“Tasteful, warm and welcoming....”
Reviewed May 19, 2014

It was the last hour before we hopped into the car to drive north to Montreal that this quaint B&B popped up on my map. A quick call resulted in a solid reservation for that very evening, and we were on our way. We haven't stayed in too many inns, but I must say, this experience was delightful. Very conveniently located off a major highway, some free parking, but also plenty of meters which are easy to use with a credit card. There are parking garages close by also. For public transportation, the inn is one block from Berri station. Michael greeted us at the door and showed us to our room, and the ins and outs of the property.

We were in the newer side of the inn, with a private bath. Our room was small, but perfectly adequate, with a deep window sill and table and chair which provided a nice little view of the outside world. The bed was so comfortable. The hot water was hot. The inn was extremely quiet, just faint creak of guests above us and the occasional street noise. Most important for me, it was clean, sparkling clean. I really appreciate clean.

We were on the first floor, with easy access to the street through the lower garden entrance. The hall also had a back door with access to the pleasant communal inner gardens, and led to the sunny breakfast room. Coffee in that sun filled room each morning was incredibly nice. The other guests we shared breakfast with were obviously enjoying it as much as we were.

We walked all over Montreal. Three blocks in either direction took us to Chinatown, or the Latin Quarter, Old Montreal, and the Village. The Port and parks were bustling with people enjoying the beautiful spring day. Bixi bikes are around the corner, and are so much fun to use in Montreal. We love how centrally located La Conciergerie is.

The inn was very open and accessible, and we enjoyed a peek at the beautiful rooms on the historical side of the property. They are stunning. We are looking forward to staying at La Conciergerie again.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
New York, NY
Reviewed December 30, 2013

EVERY TIME we go to Montreal we stay here. It's so lovely, warm, great staff.
We can't get enough of the entire staff there. Kudos to Luc. A warm greeting to Julio.
Yes, this was our 7th time there. We will def be back soon! Winter or summer.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank cpassant
Enfield, Connecticut
Reviewed October 23, 2013

It had been a few years since my last stay at the beautiful La Conciergerie B&B in Montreal... but once again it did not change from the great service and friendliness of hosts Michael and Luc! The breakfast is more than enough to start your day and the charming house on St. Hubert is just as warm and welcoming as ever! It is well within easy walking distance to the Village and many metro stations as well as the Old Port of the city... thanks again to our long time owners and hosts! Well done after all these years!!
Jim, Enfield, CT.

Room Tip: 2nd Floor rooms are nice and quiet
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed October 6, 2013

I travel for a living and I also blog about hotels, car rentals, and popular bars and restaurants. never in all my time doing this have I been so disrespected. I called in to inquire about booking a room for 3 nights, the rate was $152/night. I wanted to book the room and asked what information they needed. the owner, (whom i was talking with) said i have to fill out a form online. I said "well we are on the phone, and I'm at a coffee shop so I don't have a computer." I tried to continue with the attempt at booking only to be screamed at and told that La Conciergerie does not want or need my business and then hung up on, simply because I wanted to book my room on the phone. Rude business owners like this should find another career path. With the owner talking to potential residents at his B&B the way he did I can only imagine how polite his staff are. imagine asking for fresh towels. As a gay man I wanted to review this gay B&B as I'm visiting Montreal to review popular gay events associated with the Black and Blue parties, but being yelled at and hung up on is not a great first point of contact. This owner needs a serious reality check and maybe a seminar on the customer service and being polite. I give La Conciergerie 4 thumbs down.

Room Tip: hope the spoiled rotten, pretentious owner doesn't answer the phone to take your booking.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Brandon C
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed August 26, 2013

We just got back from a week in Montreal and stayed at the glorious la Conciergerie. The location is perfect--two blocks to Old Town, two blocks to the metro, near the Village, awesome. Breakfast is served from 8 to 12 every day and features fresh croissants, seasonal fruit, cereal, speckled quail eggs, yellow plums...delicious! We had the suite, room 304, which had a secluded balcony high up among the tree limbs of an ancient tree. Service was outstanding and Michael is a genial and unobtrusive host. High;y recommended!

Room Tip: Suite 304 is spacious and has a wonderful, sun-dappled balcony overlooking Rue St Hubert.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Dallas David
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed July 11, 2013

Our second time here and it did not disappoint! Very cozy place in a great location. Breakfasts fresh and just enough to get us going in the AM. Staff attentive (hola Julio!) and rooms clean and comfortable. What more can one ask for?! We'll be back the next time we are in Montreal.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed July 10, 2013

We were looking for a centrally located hotel/guest house. Location is close to perfecton. The price was very acceptable.
The host, Micheal, was waiting for us at the door. Nice touch. And really appreciated.
The room was large enough though there was not enough space in the cupboard. I had to put my open suitcase underneath the bed for extra space.
It's all pretty much ok, but nothing exceptional.

Things I did NOT like:
- Even though the towels feel clean and are clean, they don't SMELL clean. Which is odd.
- The Bed in this B&B is good; the Breakfast however is below par. No ham, no cheese, only very hard boiled eggs, no other options. Even the fruit selection is very limited. I just expect more. B&B's are known for good breakfasts...

On a lighter note: I am afraid of heights... The staircase to and from the roof top terrace is a challenge due to the open steps...

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple