“Stained glass glory”

Museum of Saint Joseph's Oratory of Mount Royal
Ranked #4 of 421 things to do in Montreal
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Saint Joseph's Oratory of Mount-Royal, founded by Saint Brother André in 1904, is a catholic sanctuary and the largest shrine dedicated to Saint Joseph in the world. We welcome everyone to partake in panoramic views, music concerts and special religious celebrations; come discover natural, cultural and spiritual treasures in the heart of the city. You will marvel at the votive chapel containing 10,000 candles, the Oratory Museum featuring nativity scenes from around the world, the Original Chapel, the spectacular Garden of the Way of Cross, the Crypt Church and the largest domed Basilica in North America.
Reviewed October 30, 2012

Garden was closed "for winter" in October on a 70 degree day, disappointing. But still worth the climb to see the cathedral and interior stained glass. If you're adventuresome climb up Mont Royal and then continue on over the hill, past the Lac, beyond Notre-Dame cemetery, to the Oratorie... then take the Metro back to town and a well deserved drink & dinner!

1  Thank dwroesekejr
Write a ReviewReviews (4,133)

Reviewed October 28, 2012

Beautiful basilca with historical significance. Mass is said daily. Worth the walk up the stairs/hill to see.

1  Thank DealFinder50
Reviewed October 27, 2012

WOW...what a place...this is on of those places that you realized there is something special about the place, the history, the architectural, the message. Love the place. We went at night and during the day. Lots of walking and stairs. Visit the garden, located on the left side of the Oratory.
On every level, you will find something special and awesome. Take your time.

3  Thank The_Qban
Reviewed October 26, 2012

The trek up the stairs gets you into the feel of the Oratory, but wait until you get inside and see the organ! Incredible!

1  Thank Wadytwos
Reviewed October 26, 2012

The circumstance of my first ever visit to the Oratory was a bit weird. I was picked up at home by a friend of mine in his Subaru Impreza WRC rally car and we went straight to F1 circuit for a ride. As we were doing mere 30 kmh being overtaken by faster cyclists and talking about F1 race taking place there, after pulling over to pits, we walked a bit. Tony, my host, asked me what I wanted to do next. I was not sure. Then he said - let's go to the Oratory. I said ok. At that time I had a zero knowledge of that place.

Tony roared in his Subaru uphill and found a spot in the parking lot somewhere, it was dark. The view from the Oratory front was stunning - the whole Montreal at our feet with millions of lights flickering - a sea of light.

He explained to me in short inspiring story of Brother Andre and the Oratory. When I entered the main church, I stopped in my tracks. What a magnificent structure! There were a lot of people visiting and praying. I found my spot and knelt down. After I finished my prayers, including Rosary, we went around to see more...We went down to the chapel with hundreds of candles at the numerous altars, I lit a few myself for different intentions dear to my heart...

Although I continued coming to the Oratory on several other occasions, this first one with my friend Tony, will always remain as the one of the most cherished moments in my life.

Thank you, Tony!