WINNER WONDERLAND

Review of Auberge Bonaparte

Auberge Bonaparte
Ranked #5 of 163 Hotels in Montreal
Melbourne, Australia
“Why stay anywhere else in Montreal?”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2013 via mobile

Perfectly located in the old town - in a gorgeously renovated historic building, walking distance to the Old Port and just next to the STUNNING Notre-Dame Basilica, why stay anywhere else?
An easy walk from the Grand Central train station ( although the old footpaths aren't very suitcase friendly), this hotel showcases the very best of this wonderful city. Great service, ( we were given a complimentary upgrade to a gorgeous room with views of Notre- Dame), friendly, helpful staff.
I was a little worried about not being able to speak French - not an issue!! Hotel staff were all fluent in English.
Great restaurant on site ( we had a lovely 3 course dinner one night ), and the complimentary breakfasts include full hot and cold options - fruit salad, yoghurt, croissants, toast, omelettes, eggs, bacon, tea and coffee - we didn't need to eat lunch for the duration of our stay!
This hotel has all the creature comforts in a perfect location in the heart of Old Montreal -plus all the history and character too!!
Seriously, why stay anywhere else??

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Gotigers80

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (191)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 9, 2013

As always when traveling to a new city, we looked to trip advisor for advise. Once again our expectations were realized based on fellow travelers reviews. The Bonaparte captures the feeling of old Montreal that we were looking for. From the moment we checked in all the staff were welcoming and helpful in both of Canada's official languages. Merci for accepting my attempts to parlez en Francis. The rooms although small (shades of Paris), the were clean and comfortable.we were upgraded to a suite because of a mild paint smell in our room. Merci. The breakfasts were as advertised, delicious and satisfying, just the start a day of sightseeing requires. We dined in the dining room one of the evenings and enjoyed very good French cuisine. We would recommend the experience for not only the food, the cave de vin is outstanding as well.If our travels once again bring us to Montreal we would not hesitate to stay at the Bonaparte .

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Gsdtrue
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2013

I cannot recommend this hotel highly enough. The rooms are beautiful, serene, and spotless. And they have no carpets, perfect for allergy sufferers. Many of the rooms have a view of the Notre Dame Basilica orchard, a place of peace and tranquility. The staff are friendly, helpful, and happy to accommodate special needs. The breakfasts are elegant and delicious. Historic Old Montreal is just outside the door. The subway is close by. What more could one ask for? I've stayed here countless times.

Room Tip: The rooms on the courtyard side are as quiet as can be and have a view of the Notre Dame basilica or...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
6 Thank Helen M
Cobourg, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 27, 2013

We like to take a mid-winter break but not head to the sun. For the past couple of years we have gone to Quebec, and last year and again this we came to the Auberge Bonaparte in February. As with last year, our room was upgraded to one at the back which is much quieter. Comfortable room, good bathroom with complimentary beauty products. It is a great advantage not to have to go outside for dinner on a snowy evening, but instead just take the elevator down to the excellent hotel restaurant. As last year, the staff were always welcoming and obliging. Being Brits by origin we like our afternoon cuppa, and there was no problem in bringing complimentary pots of tea to our room. The hotel is a couple of blocks from the Place d'Armes metro station. All of old Montreal is just steps away, the shopping and Place des Arts for shows not far on the metro or by cab. The English language Centaur Theatre is right next door and it has excellent plays. The served breakfast included in the price of the room is very good - great selection, and I can definitely recommend the thin crepes. One minor negative which is not really the fault of the hotel. In Montreal they are lucky enough to have their sidewalks cleared by the city - it does not fall to the businesses as elsewhere, and certainly in my own community. However in a large city where snow seems to fall fairly constantly the snow clearers cannot be everywhere at once. A hotel looks much more welcoming if you don't have to slip and slide your way to the front door along a clogged sidewalk. I would have thought it would have been worth their while to make sure that their bit of sidewalk was kept cleared and salted.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the street can be noisy.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank gailr97
Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013

I stayed at Auberge Bonaparte last night and I couldnt wait to write a review about this place.
The hotel staff is excellent and friendly. Anne-Marie and Michael know what they are talking about; you can tell that they love what they do and it shows through their professionalism and knowledge of city. Upon my arrival, I discovered that the hotel offered more than I expected: delicious complimentary full breakfast every morning (not just continental, as I originally thought), free bottles of water in my room, complimentary access to 2 gyms within walking distance, a guest computer and printer in the lobby, as well as free WI-FI in the room. No coffee/tea makers in the room but as an alternative, they offer complimetary coffee/tea available 24 hours a day to enjoy at the new bar or up in my room.

When I got to my room, I was pleasantly surprised by the renovated decor and what looked like new bedding; which fit perfectly with the hardwood floors and curtains. The bathroom was more than enough space, equipped with a jacuzzi/shower, fresh towels, soap & products (even a bag of bath minerals!) and shelving space for my toiletries
I booked the room with a private balcony, which overlooks the Notre Dame Basilica; it was most beautiful at night and very quiet. I can just imagine how nice it would be during the summer, just sitting on the balcony and taking in the view of Old Montreal.
With all that said, I was sad to leave this charming hotel and the staff that made me feel right at home as soon as I arrived.
Trust me! If you are planning a visit to Montreal, this is the place to stay, without question!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
5 Thank ShoeStringThomas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here bc the reviews were really good but I thought this hotel was 'average'. I travel a lot (10 mths a year) there's not much special here.. The location and ataff service was great, but the hotel very average. The room was a bed,desk and chair. The bathroom had zero counter space and scratchy towels. A hotel rated so high should have plush towels and at least a robe. The breakfast was a nice accommodation to the stay but was not 'over the top' in any fashion.

• Stayed February 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Ashd0307
Toronto
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I stayed here this past weekend and found out about the hotel from Tripadvisor and decided to stay here after reading all the positive reviews. From the moment we arrived we felt welcomed and knew we had made the right choice. Michael Banks and Anne-Marie at reception were wonderful hosts and made us feel right at home when we walked through the door. Our room was facing the street and the view was incredible. The old city is simply amazing and the hotel is only a block north of the old city's main Street. The hotel is just a short walk to the subway (metro) and the main downtown shopping area is only a short subway ride away. The hotel can be a bit loud facing the street but only got really uncomfortably loud when snow ploughs were clearing the streets. If you want to ensure a quiet stay, the courtyard view is a good option - but, we really enjoyed the street view and would take our same room again!
The breakfast - which was included - was a full breakfast and was very good. We have stayed at other hotels with breakfast included but are usually buffet style. It was nice to be waited on and the service was just perfect.
Even the cleaning staff were good - polite and courteous and did a great job of cleaning our room.
Overall we would highly recommend this hotel and will be staying here again in the future.

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple