Hotel Bonaparte
Travelocity
$350
Travelocity
1,068 results
All reviewsold townanne marienotre damehardwood floorscrepesadjoining restaurantbreakfast was includedincluded in the room ratecroissantsvieux montrealthe hotel's restaurantsmall hoteleach morningrestaurant staffcobblestone streetsour room was spaciousloved this hotel
FilterAll languages
Reviewed February 25, 2013

I stayed at Auberge Bonaparte last night and I couldnt wait to write a review about this place.
The hotel staff is excellent and friendly. Anne-Marie and Michael know what they are talking about; you can tell that they love what they do and it shows through their professionalism and knowledge of city. Upon my arrival, I discovered that the hotel offered more than I expected: delicious complimentary full breakfast every morning (not just continental, as I originally thought), free bottles of water in my room, complimentary access to 2 gyms within walking distance, a guest computer and printer in the lobby, as well as free WI-FI in the room. No coffee/tea makers in the room but as an alternative, they offer complimetary coffee/tea available 24 hours a day to enjoy at the new bar or up in my room.

When I got to my room, I was pleasantly surprised by the renovated decor and what looked like new bedding; which fit perfectly with the hardwood floors and curtains. The bathroom was more than enough space, equipped with a jacuzzi/shower, fresh towels, soap & products (even a bag of bath minerals!) and shelving space for my toiletries
I booked the room with a private balcony, which overlooks the Notre Dame Basilica; it was most beautiful at night and very quiet. I can just imagine how nice it would be during the summer, just sitting on the balcony and taking in the view of Old Montreal.
With all that said, I was sad to leave this charming hotel and the staff that made me feel right at home as soon as I arrived.
Trust me! If you are planning a visit to Montreal, this is the place to stay, without question!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
5  Thank ShoeStringThomas
Reviewed February 21, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here bc the reviews were really good but I thought this hotel was 'average'. I travel a lot (10 mths a year) there's not much special here.. The location and ataff service was great, but the hotel very average. The room was a bed,desk and chair. The bathroom had zero counter space and scratchy towels. A hotel rated so high should have plush towels and at least a robe. The breakfast was a nice accommodation to the stay but was not 'over the top' in any fashion.

• Stayed: February 2013
4  Thank Ashd0307
Reviewed February 11, 2013

My wife and I stayed here this past weekend and found out about the hotel from Tripadvisor and decided to stay here after reading all the positive reviews. From the moment we arrived we felt welcomed and knew we had made the right choice. Michael Banks and Anne-Marie at reception were wonderful hosts and made us feel right at home when we walked through the door. Our room was facing the street and the view was incredible. The old city is simply amazing and the hotel is only a block north of the old city's main Street. The hotel is just a short walk to the subway (metro) and the main downtown shopping area is only a short subway ride away. The hotel can be a bit loud facing the street but only got really uncomfortably loud when snow ploughs were clearing the streets. If you want to ensure a quiet stay, the courtyard view is a good option - but, we really enjoyed the street view and would take our same room again!
The breakfast - which was included - was a full breakfast and was very good. We have stayed at other hotels with breakfast included but are usually buffet style. It was nice to be waited on and the service was just perfect.
Even the cleaning staff were good - polite and courteous and did a great job of cleaning our room.
Overall we would highly recommend this hotel and will be staying here again in the future.

Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank JerTO
Reviewed February 11, 2013

Located in a beautiful historical sight, near many great Old Montreal attractions, the Auberge Bonaparte is great for a couples gettaway or if you are there on business as I was. My room was huge, with a King size bed, and had a huge bath (jacuzzi). Employees were very kind, coming from all around the world, and the breakfast (wich was included) was great, served in the hotel's lovely restaurant. Made me think of Paris. Parking was reasonnable (15$ a night). The only thing I would say is that it is a bit noisy because of the occupied streets of Montreal, and when I first got into the room, it was freezing. It took a while for the heat to reach the entire room.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank decibelk
Reviewed January 10, 2013

We had a fabulous experience at our first visit to this lovely hotel. I have to declare before I begin this review that I'm not a bed and breakfast, non-chain hotel type of traveler. I don't get caught up in the home-made muffin and charming scenery; just give me the benefit of the power of 'franchise' - loyalty points, consistent quality bedding, a blow drier and wireless internet access, and I am very happy indeed!

Now let me say that Auberge Bonaparte has successfully blended the quaint charm which well suits its central location in Old Montreal with the luxury and benefits of a 5 star chain hotel! I would doubt that we had an experience out of their ordinary; the staff seem so laid back about their ability to accommodate every traveler's need, that it seemed to me, the level of service offered by this establishment is standard to them, but outstanding to those who are fortunate enough to stay at Auberge Bonaparte.

We arrived to this hotel on the night of Montreal's record breaking snowfall. The roads were barely drivable and we were weary from our drive in from Toronto, which took well over 9 hours (usually a 5 hour drive) due to this unbelievably inclement weather system we traveled through. Old Montreal is not particularly easy to navigate at the best of times, and there is no GPS that will help you if the road that you are supposed to turn left on to get to the hotel is inaccessible due to snow, forcing our route into a puzzle maze of the old city's one way streets until we landed upon the right corner, quite by accident, but grateful nonetheless.

Snow had not been cleared as yet from much of the parking lot that hotel patrons can access (for an extra daily fee with in/out privileges added to your hotel dossier) just one short block north of the hotel, but our trusty snow tires assisted us to bring our car to a safe resting spot off the street for the night. The staff could not have been friendlier or more efficient in checking us in. The layout of our room (202) was perfect, with very modern updates to this old edifice. The ceilings were beautifully high, not cavernous, just airy and bright. Our two large windows opened to the charm and activity of the streets below, boxed in with the perfect depth to sit comfortably inside them for a perfect view! The room was clean, fully equipped with wifi internet access, and yes - a blow dryer too! The sounds of the famous Notre Dame cathedral chimed sweet music outside, but unless a window was open, once inside our suite, incredibly quiet. For us, it was a perfect landing to arrive to this hotel after an otherwise harrowing day of driving. Right. So, with all of the snow, and the late hour, where were we going to eat?

While fast food and other restaurants were within walking distance of the hotel, and I'm certain some crazy folks were even out delivering pizza, we just didn't want to 'endure' any more that day - we wanted to relax, have a glass of wine and enjoy a decent meal. Well, you can imagine our delight in the discovery of a magnificent restaurant - and I do mean magnificent - right downstairs, adjacent to the hotel lobby, bearing the same namesake, Bonaparte. We understand that normally, people travel from all parts to dine here and that a reservation is a good idea, however, we were fortunate that a table was available. I suppose some people had cancelled dinner plans due to the weather, but despite the weather, I can tell you that this restaurant was busy! There's a reason: it's fabulous!

Breakfast was included in the rate we paid for this hotel, and it is served with the same grace and style in this same restaurant where we enjoyed our dinner the night before. The simple, yet elegant offerings included fresh fruits, breads, eggs and pancakes and was a perfect start to each day we stayed. Coffee was superb and their brewed decaf option was equally wonderful. Tea is served in a proper china teapot, which always will increase my enjoyment at any restaurant!

The check-out system was as easy and as painless as check-in, with the same group of friendly
staff available to make sure it was seamless and without any aggravation passed along to the traveler. The staff conversed as easily in English as they comfortably do in French, and while we did our best to practise our country's second language, it was not necessary at all, anywhere in the hotel, and not with any of the hotel staff. The housekeeping staff were as efficient and as friendly as their colleagues at the front desk and restaurant.

Auberge Bonaparte and their adjacent restaurant are to be commended for such outstanding service and value to the tourist or visitor to Old Montreal and we look forward to staying there again during the sunny weather of summer!

Room Tip: The hotel is not large and each room may have a slightly different layout. Our room was large and perfect for a couple but the room across the hall from ours, I noticed, had an even larger layout more suitable for a family, but with less window light. If you like light and bright, street view would be a good choice.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple