“Near Perfection”

Ranked #4 of 164 Hotels in Montreal
Toronto
“Near Perfection”
Reviewed January 4, 2013

Myself and a group of my friends booked the Bonaparte for New Year's eve, 2013, and could not be more pleased with our decision.

Booking - I phoned to book the room ahead of time from Ontario. The woman on the phone was extremely polite and helpful. She was aware of the location of nearby events and activities and even made me aware of a discount I was eligible for when booking my hotel. (CAA members get $10 off per night.) Booking was easy and convenient and I was promptly sent an email confirmation.

Check in - We arrived just before midnight due to a late drive from Ontario. Naturally we were in a mad, rushed panick when arriving (and slightly drunk too!) and the reception was very understanded, acted quickly to get our rooms set up and rushed through check-in so that our New Years was not ruined. It was very considerate and we weren't given any attitude whatsoever.

Rooms - We had a single King bed room and a double queen bed room. Both were absolutely gorgeous with 13 foot high ceilings, colonial pane glass windows, original gold plated door fittings... it was a truly historical feel all around. Also, the rooms were equiped with all the luxuries of today: flat screen TV, comfortable bed and double person jacuzzi tubs. I was in awe.

Service - Impecible. Somebody was always available at the front desk. They even went as far as to bring us cokes to our room when we were thirsty around 3am and didnt even charge it to our room! We loved the hotel so much, we stayed an extra day and got the rooms discounted at $50 per.

Perks - The hotel also hosts the Bonaparte restaurant which is among the top ten in all of Montreal. They offer a very generous complimentary breakfast every morning that is a la carte and allows you to choose a variety of delicious options from your traditional eggs/bacon/toast to omelletes made any way. This also includes yoghurt, fresh baked croissants, orange juice, ect.

Also, this hotel is a 2 minute walk from the Notre Dame Cathedral! A must see

Overall, I can not give this hotel anything less than a 5 star rating. The staff really made it worthwhile though. Multiple times I found myself engaged in conversations with the knowledgable staff about the history of old montreal, or the architecture of the buildings there. Everyone was professional and polite and willing to go the extra mile to make my stay enjoyable and for this reason I will certainly return to this hotel the next time I visit old Montreal!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank Kayla F

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (214)
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed January 1, 2013

My husband and I spent 4 days at this lovely hotel 17 -21 December. We had the suite and enjoyed every minute of our stay. The bar And restaurant downstairs were an added bonus, being that we visited in the middle of winter and it was snowing quite often,, the welcoming warm restaurant was far too tempting for us! A great location for sightseeing just around the corner from Notre Dame Basilica which ran a laser light history's show in the evenings, and the Montreal Sympony performed there also during our stay. The staff very very helpful, the food excellent. We enjoyed wonderful breakfasts which are included in the room rate, and tried most of the extensive menu during our visit. A charming traditional venue in a beautiful romantic city.

Room Tip: We had the suite and it was great
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Robyn F
Rhinebeck, NY
Reviewed December 30, 2012

Booked it as a Christmas present, a few hours drive north. Stayed three days. The city is covered in snow; traffic is crawling and it is freezing (12F)--but still lovely. The Bonaparte location is superb: around the corner to Notre Dame Cathedral; a short walk down the hill to Rue St. Paul and which winds through all of the Old City landmarks and shops. Our room is small, as expected, but charming, with a comfortable shower/bath and one wall of exposed brick. The large windows provided a welcome flood of afternoon winter sun when we returned from a long walk in the bitter cold. As many have noted, the room price includes breakfast--which has been delicious. The hotel restaurant is well rated and cozy. The staff has been as helpful as any we have experienced. Every time we came back from a walk, my wife would say: “We’ve got to come back here in the spring.” It’s that good.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank mx
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed December 9, 2012

We stayed here for two nights in Spring. They had unseasonal snow, which just made eating in the breakfast dining room extra special. The little bay windows are the perfect place to look out onto this gorgeous street while eating very good croissants. The room was spacious and the staff very friendly.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank shirlzb
ontario
Reviewed November 30, 2012

A super little gem in the old part of the city. This is a very good value full service hotel. The stay includes a breakfast which is served in their excellent restaurant. The rooms were modern and well appointed and the hotel has a very good restaurant and bar. The service was super and the staff went out of their way to make the stay pleasant. I would highly recommend this hotel if you are visiting Montreal and want to stay in the old city. Parking was available at a staffed lot just acroos the street.

Room Tip: Either take a room high up or at the back of the hotel. I believe the rooms at the rear of the hotel...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank ericon991
Playa del Carmen, Mexico
Reviewed November 30, 2012

I stayed here for three nights in November. I knew the location would be perfect for someone who has only a little time but wants to do as much as possible. The great service began even before I got there because I asked for bookings to nearby attractions. Sabrina at reception was especially helpful. Although a boutique establishment, the hotel provides the concierge services of a big five-star. Room and bath was very clean and well appointed. Bed was comfortable. The rooms all have wi fi, which is great, but you'll prefer to be out and about or hang out in the excellent restaurant. The restaurant connected to the hotel (Restaurant Bonaparte, which I also reviewed) offers guests a good complimentary breakfast, and is open for lunch, dinner, after theatre dessert or nightcap, whatever you fancy. Highly recommended.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank Saloni N
baltimore
Reviewed November 20, 2012

My wife and I stayed at Auberge Bonaparte from November 14-19. The location is in charming Vieux Montreal. The rooms, although a bit spare, are clean, bright and spacious. The included breakfast is plentiful, well-prepared and a delicious way to begin the day. The staff is most accommodating and the restaurant is at the upper echelon of the city's already great dining scene.
Would not hesitate to stay there when we return.

Room Tip: Views to the courtyard behind Notre Dame Basilica may be preferred and quieter.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple