“wonderful hotel”

Ranked #1 of 165 Hotels in Montreal
Stratham, NH
“wonderful hotel”
Reviewed August 6, 2014

My husband and I booked a 4 night stay at the Ritz through the American Express Fine Hotels program. The staff was outstanding, as were the facilities. The room was spotless and the king bed was extremely comfortable. Breakfast was included in our rate and was also very good as you could order off the menu or opt for the buffet. The rooftop indoor lap pool really only allows 2 people at a time to do laps comfortably. However, I only had to wait once for someone to leave the pool before I could swim. The area outside has several lounge chairs and umbrellas. Again, I only had to wait once for a lounge chair. As another reviewer mentioned, it did take a little practice to get used to the lighting system. The wifi worked very well. The metro allows easy access to the old town and the museum of fine arts is only a few buildings down from the hotel. There are also several good restaurants within walking distance. We would definitely stay here again on our next trip to Montreal.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (159)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed August 5, 2014

I treated myself and my daughter to a weekend at the Ritz-Carlton in Montreal. The Ritz has retained its original charm (front overhang, flags, black shutter accents, gleaming mullioned doors, and the palm court and courtyard garden each a treasured jewel) but with all the new high end amenities that are such a luxurious treat. The rooms were beautifully decorated in a serene and functional style. The craftsmanship and details were superb. The bath/dressing area was so gorgeous, with deep soaker tub, huge rain shower and even a Toto crazy deluxe bum cleaning toilet. Jonathan showed me all the details and made me feel at home. Christina was beautiful and helpful at the front desk, and around all weekend adding to the continuity of care and overall friendliness. Simon the Concierge found me excellent lunch and dinner spots. The pool and penthouse deck overlooking the city and the river were spectacular. The location is wonderful, right next door to McGill, the huge and gorgeous Museum, the Metro and the mountain. We took the 24 down Sherbrooke to visit Westmount Park and pick up coffee and fresh pastries at the Gascogne (? Spelling) on Sherbrooke near Victoria. So sweet and delicious. I want to make this a tradition! Dear Ritz, I hope to see you again next summer. Let's continue this love affair!

Room Tip: The rooms are all amazing.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Margaret F
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 5, 2014

Larger hotel chains have been able to attract visitors on Brand names alone for decades. In a rapidly changing world of boutique hotels and weekly "new kids on the block", you've got to go that little bit further, and impress that little bit more,to stay ahead of the curve.

The Ritz Carlton impresses on all levels.

They say first impressions count. No stress for the desk staff here. They were polite and friendly, asked the right questions and seemed to have a genuine interest in making sure you enjoy your stay. I sometimes feel that politeness is scripted in hotels and it can be a little false. This wasn't in evidence here.

Checking in was simple, and after a long flight from the UK were in our room in minutes. The room was exceptional. It was clean, modern, bright and comfortable.

The restaurant for breakfast was a pleasure to be in. The staff were again friendly and attentive. Food was fresh and the room was relaxed and informal.

Having never been to Montreal before, we had no idea of what to do or where to go. We consulted the concierge. Wow he was amazing. Nothing was too much tassel for him and after about 1/2 an hour we set off on our way.

The hotel also has a fabulous rooftop pool with beautiful views over boy side of the city.

It's rare to miss a hotel as much as a place. I missed this hotel seconds after I walked through the door.

Would I come back? YES

Would I recommend it? IN A HEARTBEAT

I don't know the other hotels in Montreal but I'd be prepared to stake a large amount that none of them close to this hotel.

If you're in Montreal and want a luxury hotel. Look no further. You'll only regret it.

Thanks again to all the staff and management for being superb and helping out Canada adventure get of to the best possible staff.

Can we come again soon?

Room Tip: We stayed in a corner room but frankly all rooms must be excellent.
1 Thank nikgarston
Upton, Massachusetts
Reviewed August 3, 2014

We stayed here for a long anniversary weekend. This hotel is beautiful. Above all our room was amazing. Our room was very large with a huge walk in closet that included shelving. Our bathroom was marble with a huge soaking tub with tv, double sinks, glass shower stall with rain shower heard and a glass enclosed toilet/bidet combo. The toilet/bidet combo I must say was a highlight. There was a wall mounted remote control for the toilet for customization and comfort. They surprised us on our anniversary with a platter of huge chocolate, pistachio and white chocolate covered strawberries along with Madeline's. The staff was amazingly very helpful.

We will definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Let them know if you have a special occasion.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Sarnia, Canada
Reviewed August 2, 2014

My husband and I stayed at the Ritz for three nights and it was just incredible. Checking-in was a breeze. As soon as they brought up our info on the computer, they congratulated us on our 1st anniversary which was nice. We were offered bottled water and a wet lemon scented towel to clean our hands fancy right? Lol. The tour guide gave us a tour all the way to our hotel room while the luggage man brought our luggage up. Our package included breakfast in bed. Quiet romantic. We didn't have to lift a finger other than eat our breakfast and press the maid button to have the table cleared.

We ended up having dinner in Little Italy twice at Restaurante Cornelli. Delicious and authentic Italian food and the night before we checked out we had a very romantic dinner at the hotel restaurant, maison Boulevard. Food was excellent, my! But a bit pricey. A glass of Moët was $29. Our 3 course meal was $340 including a tip. After our dinner at the Boulevard we went to Dom Perignon for a drink. Our server Sebastie was very friendly and helpful. He even offered to take a picture of my husband and I by the beautiful art decor in the lobby and of course we tipped him good for that. Their Dom Perignon champagne glass was $99. Good thing I had Moët already.
Sophie from house-keeping was amazing. Soft spoken and shy but very very good at what she does. Nicolas the doorman is worth mentioning as well. One night I came back from little Italy quiet wasted and he carried by bag and had bottled water sent up for me. How sweet is that. Luigi, from room service was gave great service. I just wish he was working the day we checked out because I had a big tip waiting for him. Definitely next time. I cannot wait to go back there. Would love to do a whole week and shop at Holt Renfrew and Tiffany's which are next to the hotel.

I'd recommend getting a room with breakfast included. A lot cheaper that way and oh their rooftop swimming pool is awesome.

I felt spoiled checking out that I only want to stay at the Ritz or other 5star hotels. Worth very penny!!!

Ps, the interior and decor was impeccable. Their bathroom had a his and hers section. The concierge was impartial when we asked about restaurant recommendations.

2 Thank Tiffany A
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 31, 2014

Having had the pleasure of staying at many of the world's finest hotels, I can say without reservation that the Ritz-Carlton Montreal ranks amongst them. While the facilities were impeccable, the decor most tasteful, and the food delicious, it was the wonderful people who made our family's stay of almost two weeks so special...thank you to each one of you!
Robert M. and family.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Edison, New Jersey
Reviewed July 27, 2014

Our first trip to Montreal (vacation) and our fifth stay at a Ritz. Upon arrival the valet is super friendly and helpful. Front desk check-in couldn't have gone better. We're immediately feeling like VIP's. The bellman takes us up to our room and goes over all the modern amenities ( the hotel was renovated in 2012) and tells us if we need anything at all to simply ask. He tells us about the Comedy Festival and the Saturday night fireworks down by Old Town. Very helpful and friendly. The lobby bar is modern (cool gas fireplace) and a superb Chopin martini. And the Downtown location is convenient to many of the sites we want to see including a two minute walk to the Museum of Fine Arts. Stay here!

1 Thank WSD526