“Truly Wonderful..Dog friendly as well”

The Ritz-Carlton, Montreal
Ranked #1 of 165 Hotels in Montreal
Reviewed January 2, 2014

My family was visiting the Adirondack region of NY State and after seeing we were so close to Montreal called and booked a room for my family of four. Only after booking did I remember we were traveling with our two golden retrievers so I called back to inquire re dog policy. Very pleased to hear we were a go. On arrival at the this beautifully restored old world style hotel we were escorted to a large room with two beds. The hotel had set up two dog beds and bowls for the goldens as well. The hotel restaurant was Maison Boulud which was spectacular. We ate there one of the two evenings (wish I had gone both) and enjoyed spectacular breakfasts there as well. The location was excellent with easy walks to museums, galleries, prime shopping and a healthy stroll to the much more touristy old city. I can't imagine going back to Montreal without staying at the Ritz and dining at Maidon Boulud. Old world elegance and superb customer service all around.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (1,132)

Reviewed January 1, 2014

I have been visiting my son frequently while he's attending McGill. Last stay was at the Sofitel before trying the Ritz-Carlton and found the newly renovated Ritz far superior. Loved the automatic toilets and well appointed shower. The pool area was lovely as was the business center. Very pleasant for reading. Had dinner at Maison Boulud which is incredibly expensive but delicious. Choose wisely from the menu. Dining out in Montreal is quite expensive at the better restaurants. Staff were pleasant and helpful in traversing the city.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Michael M
Reviewed January 1, 2014

Great location, downtown. Marvelous room, spacious, comfortable bed, many gadgets, love the warm warm floor and toilet seat . Front desk very helpful and friendly. Very pricey but got a great deal on a non Ritz website which made it a good deal at about $360 for a king deluxe room. Restaurant not worth the cost. We enjoyed Restaurant Helena more than Maison Boloud.

Room Tip: Request a room with a separate bath, it's worth it.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 30, 2013

At a fund raising event , I had recently bid on a night in the deluxe suite at the Ritz in Montreal with breakfast. As it was my husband's birthday I thought it was a fun and unique way to spend romantic time together in our own gorgeous city. We were absolutely delighted by the experience from start to finish. They recently renovated the entire hotel adding owner occupied suites and a new salt water lap pool which is divine but they have managed to keep the old world history of the 100 year old institution which I was thrilled about. Upon checking in I was upgraded to a superior room which was a nice bonus. After a walk and some shopping, I returned to the room to find a note addressed to my husband beside a beautiful ( and delicious) chocolate cake . I must have mentioned it to them in when reserving the room the week prior. What a sweet and thoughtful gesture and so appreciated. Upon finding out the pool was closed that afternoon for cleaning , we were immediately offered a later check out time to compensate. The rooms are so quiet and well appointed and the bathrooms incredibly well designed with heated toilet seats, it may sound over the top but let me assure you it is quite wonderful , especially with Montreal's cold winters. The heated tile floors are also lovely. The staff are gracious and accommodating and the atrium off the garden where you can have breakfast is fabulous. We floated out the door 24 hours later restored. Now every time i pass The Ritz I smile. Thank you for a special stay and for giving back to our community by supporting important organizations like Camp Amy Molson.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 23, 2013

We spent 4 days in November and enjoyed the experience in spite of the cold and rainy weather. This hotel, which recently re-opened after undergoing extensive renovations became one of the best places to stay in Montreal. Our Signature room was spotless and well supplied, perhaps a tad over-supplied on the technology side. This became a bit of a nuisance as shades and other electronically controlled features are not always user-friendly. The other issue is the amount of all day light generated by the multiple electronic features and devices. We had to cover the light beams every night. I should note, however, that management immediately responded to my comments and committed to take this into consideration in our next stay.
The food, atmosphere and service at the restaurant are exceptional. All of this comes at a price, but worth every penny paid. Look forward to going back.

Room Tip: I would recommend the Signature room.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank eneri-ila44
Reviewed December 12, 2013

I stayed here over the weekend of 11/30. This was my third stay at a Ritz in the last 2 years, and I reasonably often stay at peer hotels, so I'm admittedly benchmarking this against a high bar.

(1) Service was extremely disappointing. On our first day at the hotel, the Maple Leafs were staying at the hotel and they were hosting a large event in the evening. So in a sense, the total service breakdown that day was understandable; but to the extent that this is a hotel that's going to host events and large groups that greatly impact the experience of an individual customer, that's their problem. Because the doormen were dealing with the line of people waiting for autographs, no one helped us unload our luggage from our car and no one held the door open for my wife - lugging the two bags they hadn't unloaded - until she sought someone out and insisted on assistance. On my way in, I was rudely ("sir, may I help you?" "no, I'm fine" <steps in front of me> "sir, I THINK I MAY NEED TO BE OF ASSISTANCE TO YOU: (raised voice)) accosted by an employee of the hotel. I get that they may have been worried about folks sneaking in to see the hockey team, but, again, not my problem, and I paid for a nice hotel so that I could have the most relaxing experience possible - a far cry from being treated like this was the lobby of the MGM Grand on fight night in Vegas. Keep in mind, I'm an clean-cut guy in my 30's, so its not like this was a reasonable mistake. Other service glitches abounded during our stay; doormen failed to open doors or help us hail taxis; the hold put on my wife's credit card for incidentals was $1500(!) (more than the cost of our stay) and was not removed untill a week after our checkout date. The room had no wine glasses, and we had to call twice before room service brought them up, more than 30 minutes after our original request. Drinking Burgundy out of a highball glass has it's charms, but its not Ritz-y.

(2) The common spaces of the hotel stink. The lobby is, by the standards of an old line luxury hotel, drab and unexciting. The hallways are long, dark and drab. Not every hotel can be (for example) the Jefferson in Richmond, VA, but come on, this is a recently restored Ritz! There is a magnificent space off the lobby in which they serve drinks and tea , but on my first day, they'd rented it out for a bar mitzvah. So fat chance having afternoon tea or a glass of wine there, and then at night the thudding music and giggling 13 year olds overflowed into the tiny lobby. A charming atmosphere to come back to after a night out. I'm from New York - this is hardly the first Bar Mitzvah I've run into - but with a proper sized lobby and sequestered event spaces, it wouldn't feel like a glorified banquet hall. I don't think, given how intimate the lobby is, that it is appropriate for them to use that room as an event space.

(3) On the plus side, our room was beautiful, immaculately clean. The size was fair for a junior suite. I've never seen so many nifty technological gadgets in a room, and I've stayed in luxury hotels in China. The bed was wonderfully comfortable; the hotel restaurant (Maison Boulud) is one of the better restaurants in the city and punches way above "generic hotel restaurant" standards. The location is far better than staying in Old Montreal, where most of the competition seems to be.

But in the end, this was a disappointing stay. I live in a typical small postwar apartment in uptown New York City, and my benchmark for an urban hotel is always, "Is this a nicer experience than back home"? This failed that test. I very much wanted this hotel to be special - our trip was a miniature honeymoon because our big honeymoon had been delayed - and while Montreal itself was fabulous and I had a wonderful time on the trip, it was in spite of, and not because of, this hotel. I wouldn't recommend it.

Room Tip: Lower floors have very poor light - higher the better.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
12  Thank dzop
Reviewed December 9, 2013

A big congratulation to the Ritz-Carlton Montreal for running perhaps the best hotel I've ever stayed at and congratulations to Montreal for having such a hotel.

The service is 10 out of 10, room 10 out of 10, quality of food 10 out 10 and service 11 out of 10.

Having spent about 60 to 70 nights at various hotels in the past 11 months and all over world I can safely say that this property has gotten it right. The rooms are well equipped, modern, clean and well planned (they even have thought of having an "intimacy kit" in the room). The bathroom, is large, luxurious, well lit and the toilet…well you'll just have to experience what its like to have the Bently of a toilet in your room.

We had three meals at the restaurant and each meal was superb, well presented and worthy of a Michelin Star. The service of course was as close to perfection as one can get, efficient yet not intrusive.

And to top if all off, the hotel's general manager took the trouble to walk through the restaurant during breakfast to say hello to all the guests and ask them about their stay.

If for no other reason, you need to go to Montreal to stay at this hotel. Well done indeed.

Room Tip: Any room at this hotel is PERFECTION
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business