1,966 results
All reviews taverne gaspar old port exposed beams slow elevator vieux port rooftop bar the main hotel lawrence river charming hotel fifth floor crepes paul street included breakfast attached restaurant great shower the entire staff large windows
Selected filters
Reviewed June 9, 2019

We are frequent visitors to Montreal (and you will be too once you visit) and have tried staying at numerous hotels in different parts of the city, but we ALWAYS return to the Auberge du Vieux-Port because it is, quite simply, the very best location, with the most incredible staff, and full of charm. Our recent stay (to celebrate our wedding anniversary) was proof of that.

First, the front door of the hotel will place you just steps from the most exciting and picturesque part of the Old Port, whether it's the Cirque du Soleil set up in the summer or the ice skating in the winter. The back door of the hotel sets you down on an amazing shopping street filled with art galleries, coffee shops, and restaurants. It is perfectly located. I admit that the first time I stayed there I worried that it wouldn't be restful since it's located in the middle of everything, but once you're back in your charming room with THE MOST COMFORTABLE BEDS and exposed brick and high ceilings, you feel like you're in a spa and the noise and energy of the Old Port seems left far behind you.

Room tip: Try to get one of their beautiful rooms facing the river. They go first but they are worth the minor splurge.

The staff here will do anything and everything to assist you. The manager, Michael, takes a personal interest in every guest, whether it's their 1st visit or their 100th and seems to know what you want before you do. The concierge (I'm sorry--we forget her name) managed to get us heavily discounted front row tickets to the circus for the very next day, which seemed like some kind of miracle honestly. They know and love their city and can help you find whatever you're looking for--sort of like the service from hotels that you could get decades ago but is very rare these days (help with getting hard to get reservations etc and recommendations that aren't just to a handful of affiliated tourist traps.)

We love the hotel and we promise you will too.

Room tip: River rooms are extraordinary!
Date of stay: May 2019
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 6, 2019

I booked a long weekend stay here, but due to other commitments was unable to stay for more than one night. The hotel is gorgeous, refined and truly a four-star experience. The staff is helpful and friendly, the room was comfortable and (in my case) had a view of the riverfront. Having coffee and tea available in the lobby was a nice touch. The neighborhood is filled with restaurants, cafes and shops-- all a short walk from the hotel. Other than the occasional night time freight train, the hotel was quiet.

This hotel will be my go-to for subsequent stays in Montreal.

Date of stay: April 2019
AubergeduVieuxPort97, Front Office Manager at Auberge du Vieux-Port, responded to this reviewResponded June 7, 2019

Bonjour JamesMichael2018,

To hear that we have won your heart and that you had an excellent stay at the Auberge truly makes the entire Staff and I so very happy.
Thank you so much for sharing it on here, we look forward to welcome you again, hopefully very soon.

Reviewed June 3, 2019 via mobile

The room they originally offered me on the second floor for US$500 was tiny and the river view was a tree. Then they moved us to the fifth floor and the elevator stopped working for the entire day. During the first night, there was so much noise from the roof bar above us, we ended up sleeping maybe three hours. During the second night, a train — there is a train track in front of the hotel!!! — woke us up at 2:00 am and took 30 minutes to pass through. Then at 5:00 am another train passed by. I tried to take a nap in the afternoon but they started construction on the roof. It’s charming but terribly overpriced, and definitely not the right place if you wish to have a restful experience!

Date of stay: June 2019
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
AubergeduVieuxPort97, Front Office Manager at Auberge du Vieux-Port, responded to this reviewResponded June 5, 2019

Bonjour Trippertales,

We appreciate you sharing your comment about your recent stay as it’s how we perfect the Guests experiences and would like to reassure you that the prices of the Auberge are in the majorities of the area.
After we spoke about your dissatisfaction, I was confident that we have found the solution, with the free upgrade and the highest floor of the hotel, for you to have exactly what you expected.
It saddens me to hear that after, the noise and the elevator situation happened and I sincerely apologize about that.
About the elevator, I have to admit that this is something that hasn’t happened in a very long time and I completely understand your frustration that it happened during your stay.
As for the noise, There’s so much that can be done when you want to leave the stone and bricks exposed to keep that Old Montreal charm in the rooms.
I stay hopeful to welcome you again in the future and if you decide to do so, I insist on you contacting me directly so we can change that 1 star rating to a 5 star rating and make sure you leave with an amazing memory of the Auberge.

Reviewed June 1, 2019 via mobile

The hotel is beautiful. Very charming and clean. Great location. However, on checking in one of the bellmen insisted on taking me up to my room despite that I had a small overnight bag that I carried myself and I told him I’d be fine on my own. He walked in the room with me and pointed out a few features of the room over about 5 seconds then stood there with his hand out waiting for a tip. When I said I actually didn’t have any change on me he rolled his eyes and became visibly annoyed and finally left. Very awkward. I’m a generous tipper but this was a bit much. I went up to the rooftop terrace, which is beautiful with great food, drinks and service. I met a friend there who immediately asked me how my check in had gone since he had exactly the same awkward experience.

Date of stay: June 2019
Trip type: Traveled on business

Bonjour muadib403,

What you wrote is something that we do not accept from the employees and I will need your help to find out who did this.
I ask you so kindly to contact me and let me know when you arrived or what room you had so I can make sure that this employee gets managed properly. We never gave that kind of service and don't want to let someone change that for wahtever reason they have.
I'm hoping you will be able to help me and contact me as soon as possible and from the bottom of my heart, apologize

Reviewed May 25, 2019

We visit Montreal on a yearly basis and had previously stayed in bigger establishments like the Sofitel (which we could not fault), but this time we wanted something with a bit more charm and a bit more personal.
We were not disappointed. Perfect service, lovely rooms, great location.
We will definitely be back!

Date of stay: December 2018