“Impeccable service!”

Auberge du Vieux-Port
Ranked #9 of 166 Hotels in Montreal
Reviewed August 21, 2005

I'm really surprised at the negative comments this hotel has received.

We stayed here for 1 night as part of a 3-week honeymoon and despite spending in excess of £500 per night in some hotels, I have to say that the levels of service we received here were possibly the best of the whole holiday!

Given we only stayed for 1 night I did wonder whether they would offer anything complimentary for our honeymoon. I rang the hotel a few weeks before arriving and even the guy on the phone couldn't do enough to help us - this gave me a good feeling even before we got there.

We arrived in our room to find a bottle of champagne and some chocolates - and they were indeed complimentary.

All the staff were extremely helpful and gave lots of advice on were to go in the city.

I can't say enough about this hotel and would highly recommend a visit.

2  Thank daccas
Write a ReviewReviews (1,792)

Reviewed August 5, 2005

We booked this some months ago based on the fabulous reviews on tripadvisor at that time. We agree that the location is great, rooms spacious, nice big bathroom and shower, bed really comfortable, and breakfast and ( a glass) of wine and cheese thrown in a bonus. All as you would expect given the prices. At floor 4 we overlooked A/C units on adjacent rooftops, so I wouldn't suggest paying too much extra for "a view".

The real downside in our view was the lack of service that other guests (and the visitors' book on public display) seem to rave about.

We first noted this in the Terasse at lunch - overpriced and limited food on offer; service very slow; and the rice on the "prawn and rice" dish failed to materialise. When questioned we were told the menu was inaccurate, i.e. 50% of the dish no longer existed- no apologies, no offer of a refund. One of our rooms wasn't ready until 4 pm- again no apology offered, despite check in being 3 pm. We encountered the same indifference when we ordered a bottle of (overpriced) wine on the hotel's street terrasse - when we eventually got the waiter's attention, he asked if we were sitting there waiting for a taxi! Wine appeared eventually and served very grudgingly, no further sign of the waiter so we had to pour refills ourselves, until he brought the bill (not requested, who knows, we may have wanted to order another bottle?!), where he overcharged us on the already inflated price- no apology was offered when we pointed this out. And whilst there were always staff lurking with walkie talkies in the (dark and dingy) reception area, they never onced offered to open the door for us, so we still have no idea of their function! The other annoyance if you're on a top floor is the fact there is only one lift, that also serves to carry staff and food up to the top floor restaurant, so when it does eventually appear, it is often too full of staff for you to get in - and of course, they don't offer to take the stairs to allow guests to travel up and down.

So if you do stay here, we'd recommend doing your dining and drinking off-site and maybe also stay elsewhere, until the staff remember that they are there to serve the hotel guests, rather than decorate the place and chat to one another.

• Stayed: August 2005
7  Thank fussy
Reviewed August 3, 2005

My husband and I stayed at the Auberge du Vieux Port for 2 nights in late July and agree that this hotel provided us with one of the greatest rooms and experiences we've ever had in a hotel.

Excellent location. Extremely helpful, friendly, personable staff. Upon check in the woman at the front desk took out a map and indicated our present location and then took her time circling numerous sites of possible interest. Very generous breakfast including eggs, fruit salad, yogurt. Just as generous complimentary wine and cheese in the evening. Great rooftop bar/restaurant with fine views.

BEAUTIFUL, decadent room: bright, spacious, brick, king bed, hard wood floors -- urban, sophistocated, elegant, yet tout à fait comfortable. Windows that open to the street as music wafts through the air. Or close the windows and select your own music for the cd player provided. Relax in the jacuzzi tub with the Auberge's quality bath salts and powerful jets. Turn down service includes not only chocolates on the pillow but also the weather forecast for the next day.

Two recommendations both in walking distance of the hotel: the restaurant "Modavie" -- great wine and live music with dinner. Also check out "Jardin Nelson" for some quality jazz outdoors and an after dinner drink.

I should mention the two small negative experiences at the Auberge. Our room was not ready for us at check in time. We went to the rooftop bar and had drinks (not comped) and returned an hour later to the front desk. Still not ready and still nothing offered for our trouble. In 10 minutes the room was finally available. Also, one morning I ordered a hot chocolate with breakfast that was divine. I assumed it was a usual beverage choice such as coffee or tea that is included. No. I was told afterwards that I had to pay for it. Not a huge deal, but I thought a bit out of the ordinary.

Nevertheless, I would recommend this hotel 100%. My husband and I loved Montreal and would return to the Auberge in a heart beat.

10  Thank nypalate
Reviewed July 28, 2005

My husband, teenage son and I just returned from five nights at this wonderful Hotel. We had two connecting rooms on the third floor overlooking the Saint Lawrence River. When we arrived exhausted after a long drive, they were warm and welcoming and quickly helped us get settled in our rooms. When we ordered room service from the Restaurant, they brought an extra table and set up our elegant and delicious dinner for us.

Our King Size bed was the most comfortable bed we have ever slept in other than ours at home. The jacuzzi was deep and comfortable. The rooms were even more beautiful and spacious than they appeared on their website. It was so nice to have a CD Player in our rooms and to be able to choose CDs from the Hotel's own collection.

The full breakfast was excellent with many choices including omelettes, croissants and other pastries. In addition to Les Ramparts in the Hotel, there are several good restaurants within a few blocks of the Hotel including a little cafe (L'Intrigue) specializing in seafood, mussels and "frites" which is a 1/2 block from the Hotel (out the front door and to the right).

All staff members were friendly and helpful yet low key. We have stayed in Hotels around the world and it will be difficult to be satisfied with anything less after having experienced the Auberge du Vieux-Port!

6  Thank EllenAdena
A TripAdvisor Member
New York
Reviewed July 28, 2005

Charming hotel but can be very noisy on the weekends. The rooms facing away from the water had the late bar crowd. Could not sleep that evening. Sunday quieted down substantially. Staff was very friendly and helpful with planning activities for children.

Stayed: May 2005
3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 9, 2005

My family and I stayed at the Auberge for 4 nights beginning June 30th, it was our second time at the hotel since 2 years ago. The services and standards of the hotel have dropped tremendously. Quite disappointing. From the moment of our arrival, the hotels services were in disarray. First, they did not have any bellman to help us with our luggage, we were a family of 4 and were staying in one of their so-called lofts. There were no elevators yet were promised a loft on the first floor. To our surprise, we were 3 floors up! If we would have known, we would never have stayed here. The loft was missing towels and the air condition was not working. Management told us we would have to wait till the next day before it was fixed, it was fixed the day before our departure! For the first 2 days, no one came to clean the room so I made a complaint and the general manager came to make my bed! This should not happen in a good hotel.

The staff at the hotel were friendly yet seemed as if they did not want to be there. I asked for some activities for my girls and was told always the same thing....the jazz festival. It was nice but not everyday!!! Recommendations for restaurants were so-so. The staff always chose restaurants that belong to the same owners..as if trained to repeat the same thing. We decided to chose our own restaurants because Montreal is blessed with great restaurants. The staff lacked knowledgable recommendations.

We ate at Les Remparts one evening, food was excellent but service was terrible. The staff seemed as if they were all on their first day! Breakfast was very good and morning staff very friendly.

All in all, it was not a memorable stay in Montreal. Would I stay there again...NO. Would I recommend it to a friend...sure if I want my friend to waste his money. There are many good hotels in Montreal and this one seems to be lowering their standards.

10  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 30, 2005

The hotel and rooms are beautiful and it would be a lovely place to stay for a couple but is not to be recommended for travellers with an infant or child.

The steps leading up to the hotel are steep and assistance is required with a pushchair. The staff there have no experience of children and no facilities, I asked for a highchair and it only materialised once, so it was a bit of a struggle.

We asked for advice on where to go and activities with an infant but staff were clueless. We checked out a day early in the end.

Food was average and expensive and wine was astronomical.

• Stayed: June 2005