“Perfect combination of location and charm”

Auberge du Vieux-Port
Ranked #8 of 164 Hotels in Montreal
Framingham, Massachusetts
“Perfect combination of location and charm”
Reviewed September 17, 2013

This small hotel is perfectly situated for exploring Old Town Montreal and the rest of the city is easily accessible on foot or by Metro. The building is a former wharehouse and the rooms feature stone walls and steel beams. Though not huge, the rooms are comfortable and well-appointed and the bathrooms are state of the art, including jets in the shower.

The staff could not have been more friendly or helpful, from the bellman to the concierge. We were always greeted with a smile and the staff recommendations were consistently excellent.

We will defintely stay here again on our next trip to Montreal.

Room Tip: Use the stairs whenever possible as it can be a long wait for the one elevator.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (485)
San Diego, California
Reviewed September 14, 2013

We stayed two nights in a charming room on the fifth floor that afforded a wonderful view of the river and parkway. The location was perfect for exploring the old parts of Montreal. The breakfasts, in the hotels pub/restaurant, were so good that we decided to eat one of our dinners there too. We were not disappointed. The staff were extraordinary. We were greeted by Frederik who took care of our baggage then parked the car. Sylvie, the front desk person, helped us with numerous travel issues - small and large. We were still remarking on her kindness days after we had left Montreal. I would certainly go back there again.

1 Thank Hhoffman
Burlington, Canada
Reviewed September 12, 2013

I stayed here recently on a business trip that was found by our travel coordinator. Im glad she found it! I stayed in one of the larger king size lofts outside the main hotel. I was blown away by the room when I walked in (after cursing the walk), but once I saw the room, I didn't care that I had to walk initially to get there. Very spacious and 'old world' interior. The staff were very friendly and helpful. I have no idea what the room cost, but i will seriously give this place a look if I come back for personal vacation. Only complaint was the noise at night from outside. Windows were quite thin, but that's the trade-off for the look of the room I guess.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank oostevey
Berkeley
Reviewed September 11, 2013

We stayed two nights at this hotel. Our room was nice but oddly shaped (very narrow and long). Clean all around, and a "cool" building and location, but entry and common rooms are a bit worn and dark. Service was very uneven however, and one bad experience spoiled the stay for us. First, the good: Front Desk person Sylvie went out of her way to get us great dinner reservations and meet all our needs. Unfortunately, on check-out a very rude man "helped" us, and his demeanor and accusatory remarks left us with an extremely negative final impression.

There was a problem getting cars out of the valet parking garage and several guests, including our party, were anxiously awaiting theirs. I had to pick up my school-aged son from a camp in Vermont and needed to get on the road at a specific time. During the wait time, the front desk person called and "balled out" the valet parking attendant from the previous night, who appears to have been the source of the problem in the morning. This was done while I was sitting in front of him, about two feet away, and was totally inappropriate.

After he hung up, I made a remark that was the result of a misunderstanding (I was unsure if my car was being fetched and wanted to make sure it was on his "list") - and he snapped, accusing me of "fishing for something." I said I was just concerned about my ability to access my car and had no idea what he was talking about. He insinuated that I was lying, and repeated that I was "fishing for something," and then, with a mockingly theatrical flourish, said he would comp me the cost of the parking. This was $20/$25, a drop in the bucket of the cost of our stay; it had not crossed my mind, and certainly wouldn't get my car out of the parking lot! Since he made the offer, I did accept. Why not. The whole thing was stressful and unpleasant. He pounced on my acceptance, triumphantly satisfied that he had "proven" that I was just "hassling him" for the purpose of getting a discount. Crazy!

Luckily, our car finally showed up, so we were able to simply exit the situation. The whole episode was strange and unsettling - to be subjected to an accusatory tone and remarks, and a very nasty exchange, when all we were doing was trying to check out and get on the road in a timely manner.

First and last impressions can cast a long shadow, and despite being satisfied (but not wowed) by the accommodations, and very pleased with the service offered by some of the front desk staff, this episode was inexcusable. Perhaps another hotel can do a better job training its staff to handle the many varied situations that come up in the regular course of a hotel's daily business, including a guest anxious to retrieve her car in less than 45 minutes (we called for our car before descending to the front desk, and came down 20 minutes later. The car arrived another 25 minutes after that. Hotel literature promises the car in 10 to 15 minutes, which is exactly why we had called for it in advance).

Room Tip: We paid extra for a room looking out over the "port" but there is nothing to see. There a...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
10 Thank Berkeley_CA_USA
AubergeDuVieuxPort, General Manager at Auberge du Vieux-Port, responded to this review, September 24, 2013
Dear Guest,

It is unfortunate to hear that you have experienced a negative (yet isolated and atypical) incident with one of the employees. Compared to most ratings we’ve had in the past, you can see this is something that seldom happens.
. This is not a situation that happens often (if ever) and giving you a credit on the parking fee was the least we could do to compensate for your unusually long waiting period.

We do hope you come back to Montreal and stay with us again to let us remove the negative impression you left with.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed September 11, 2013

We were originally planning to stay at the Marriott in Montreal for a three night stay, but friends recommended Auberge du Vieux-Port. We are certainly glad they did! This is a delightful property on the waterfront in the old historic district, so everything is within walking distance, such as the Basilica of Notre Dame, and some of the best dining in the city. The rooms are very comfortable, be sure to get one with the original exposed brick and stone construction of what appears to have originally been a turn of the century waterfront warehouse. The rooms are updated with completely modern fixtures and amenities, the service is fantastic, all the staff were truly amazing. Whenever we go back to Montreal, there will be no other place that we will stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a second or third floor room with a waterfront view and with the original stone or brick exp...
Fredericton
Reviewed September 11, 2013

I'm very late writing this review. My girlfriends and I stayed here last year during a "girls" trip to Montreal. The hotel is absolutely charming. The rooms are beautiful with exposed brick. It located in the heart of Old Montreal and walking distance to many sights, shopping and restaurants.
The service staff were very friendly and helpful. Dining at the attached restaurant was very good. We really loved our stay and will absolutely be staying here again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Lynn, Massachusetts
Reviewed September 9, 2013

Arrived on day prior to Labor Day & told we did not get the room we asked for due to an oversight. However, we would be upgraded the next day to a king room & received 2 complimentary drinks at the rooftop bar. Rooms are large with comfortable bed & nice linen. All have exposed brick & nice tiled bathroom w/tub & shower. Rooms overlooked the river & window was open to let in the breeze. However, it also let in several enormous spiders & had to get someone from the hotel to get them on the high ceilings. They sprayed Raid (I would have rather they swatted at them). Room smelled of Raid & dead spider was found on the floor. However, a live one was in the bathroom. Was told it was the time of year for spiders in Montreal & that the lights from the front of the hotel attracted them. They should have screens on the windows & not open them so not invaded by these large monsters. Upgraded room was larger & just as nice. Elevator is extremely slow. All hotel personnel were very nice, pleasant, & helpful. They were able to get us tickets to the Botanical Gardens in advance & at a savings which was quite nice. The General Manager, Olivier, was very good to take care of us with the room upgrade, comp drinks & getting tickets to the gardens. We mostly interacted with Mathew, our valet, who was wonderful getting car for us & telling us about the city. Parking is additional but you can come & go all day for the flat rate of $28/day. Breakfast was included & it was served with self service for coffee, juice, fruit, great plain & chocolate croissants. Toaster for bread & bagels. Eggs were dry & food was just a little hot. I'm a foodie so I'm picky about this. However, there were enough items to have something different daily. Rooftop bar has a spectacular view of the port & St. Paul Street. Nice, small hotel in a great location with pretty rooms. If you decide to stay at this hotel, you'll have a nice stay but be warned about keeping windows open & letting the spiders get in.

Room Tip: High floor overlooking the port & keep the windows closed so spiders don't get inside.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Michael C, Guest Relations Manager at Auberge du Vieux-Port, responded to this review, September 12, 2013
Dear Guest,
We thank you for taking the time to share the experience you had at the Auberge du Vieux Port.
We sincerely apologize for the situation you had and I am sure that whoever is reading this (and have a stone or brick wall in their home) would agree that it is very difficult to completely eliminate spiders especially when you have those kinds of walls.
Rest assured that your comment about the screen on the windows is taken under consideration and because of the oddly shaped historic windows, it will take some time to have them tailor-made.
It was Oliver’s pleasure to answer all your questions and help you plan the stay you had.
We look forward to welcoming you again in the near future.