“Very happy with our stay”

Auberge du Vieux-Port
Ranked #9 of 165 Hotels in Montreal
Eagleville, Pennsylvania
“Very happy with our stay”
Reviewed September 4, 2013

We were very happy with our 3 night stay here. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The apartment we stayed in was spacious. The kitchen was spacious and worked out well for storing our foods and snacks, although we didn't actually do any cooking. There were 4 adults staying in the room, so it worked out perfectly. I was told the furniture in the apartment was just recently replaced and generally the furniture was nice and worked out well, although the lamp was somewhat annoying and could pose a safety hazard.

The loft bed was a little uncomfortable, but not too bad. The downstairs bed was comfortable. The loft was spacious, but the downstairs bedroom was typical of a European room (smaller.) The loft was on the third floor, so it was a pain walking up and down the stairs each day, but I really can't complain about this, as I think it is acceptable and very typical not to have an elevator in old hotels like this.

The safe in the room was not secure. The cable was extremely fuzzy. The shower door leaked a bit, but all of these things were minor in the grand scheme of things, as we very much enjoyed our stay in the room.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (485)
Keene, New Hampshire
Reviewed September 3, 2013

My husband and I had a delightful long weekend in Montreal this August 2013 and the comfort, location, and charm of this hotel was a big part of it. The staff are fully bilingual and assisted us easily in English. The room was stylish and comfortable. Especially helpful was the advice on places to eat and sights not t miss. The location allows you to park your car (valet) and forget it. Breakfast was fine, nothing too special, but adequate. Highly recommended.

1 Thank wilcarl25
Northbrook, Illinois, United States
Reviewed September 2, 2013

My wife, daughter and I just completed our stay at Auberge Du Vieux Port in Montreal. Unfortunately, I turned out to be a very poor choice. When booking the reservation we were never told that the "apartment" was up 4 full flights of stairs. The unit was very poorly maintained (blinds didn't work, shoddy furnishings, barely working shower head, etc.). Expensive and hardly worth the money. Not recommended.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
6 Thank awohlman
colorado
Reviewed August 29, 2013

We visited Montreal for the Roger's Cup and after reviewing hotels here on Trip Advisor selected this hotel. It is on the river, in the Old City.
The room was comfy, but our room overlooked St. Paul , which was very noisy every night, making it difficult to open a window, and therefore the room was a bit stuffy. Perhaps a more expensive room overlooking the river side would be better....hard to say.

Staff was very helpful, breakfast was good enough, but I doubt I would stay here again given the noisy situation.

Room Tip: go for the front of the building
Los Angeles
Reviewed August 28, 2013

This is a charming 40-room hotel in a stone building across the river in old town. The location was fantastic, and the hotel and my room were exactly what I expected. The pictures the hotel website provides provides an accurate description of what you can expect.
I had reserved a queen room with river views; the room decor was very charming and the bathroom was updated and nice. The only down side was that being on the second floor, the river views were obstructed by the trees. I would recommend requesting rooms on 3rd or 4th floor if you want river views. The breakfast was good. The staff is very nice and helpful. I want to mention that I arrived a day late because my flight was canceled, but the hotel did not charge me for that night... I was very happy.

Room Tip: As I understand this hotel has some rooms with modern decor, and their rooms with king beds are much...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Los Angeles
Reviewed August 28, 2013

This hotel was pretty good. I enjoyed the room particularly, with it's view over the port and windows that opened. The location was nice. The bed was comfortable. The shower with both a rain and regular shower heads was nice. The bathrobes had seen better days, having multiple rips and worn spots. Someone, presumably the housekeeper, left a cigarette in our room (unsmoked) and forgot to leave towels. We tossed the cigarette, and the hotel quickly provided the missing towels. I thought the included breakfast, while fine, was uninspired, however the croissants were excellent. Sitting outside for breakfast was lovely. The coffee was a little weak for my taste. The desk staff were very helpful and pleasant. It was easy to talk with them without having to wait too long. The bar on the roof had exceptionally slow service the evening we were there.

1 Thank LA12345
ealing
Reviewed August 25, 2013

We stayed two nights in a fifth floor deluxe king river view room. River view very good and street outside quiet. However, room a tad small for bed/furnishings and we kept bumping into corners of the wooden bed with resulting bruised ankles. Why I'm giving 4 rather than 5 stars.

Front desk staff extremely helpful with directions and best means of getting to various sights. Porter was most helpful with luggage, taxis and bathroom door when it stuck. Service in Gaspar's excellent and dinner one evening very tasty. Breakfast was ordinary but was included in the value for money room rate. Roof terrace excellent venue for late night drink. Would recommend but perhaps I should have booked King Premier Room to fill my expectation.