“Fantastic and romantic hotel...”

Auberge du Vieux-Port
Ranked #8 of 163 Hotels in Montreal
London
“Fantastic and romantic hotel...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2012

What a superb hotel. My wife and I spent three fabulous nights there. Room was superb, Spacious, delicious bed,brick walls, lovely shower. Was my birthday so some lovely maple chocolates left and a nice card. Nice lounge/restaurant where you get a welcome drink(great local beer) and where breakfasts are served. Breakfast is great, Delicious fresh omelettes, pancakes etc. Staff couldn't be more helpful. Worst thing we could say was the lift was slow!

Highly recommended for a special treat as not cheap but worth it.

Almost forgot to say great location, as rear entrance right on to main street in old town and front entrance right on river. Would recommend Bota Bota Spa a few minutes walk too, for even more romantic setting in twilight....

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
AubergeDuVieuxPort, General Manager at Auberge du Vieux-Port, responded to this review, October 9, 2012
Dear LondonFet

We are very happy to hear that we were able to line up to your expectations. We were also very flattered by your wonderful comment regarding our staff and breakfast.

Feel free to contact me if you need any assistance with your future reservations.

Eric Therrien

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (460)
North Idaho
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2012

We spent the night here before going on a cruise. We had a great welcome at check in, and were pleased with the free glass of wine. The receptionist recommended a great restaurant - and printed up a map for us. The room had beautiful brick walls and the most comfortable beds ever. Breakfast was good, and for a few dollars I was able to upgrade to eggs benedict. They called a cab for us when we were ready to check out. My friend thought she had left her earrings in the bathroom (it turned out she hadn't), and we called from the ship to see if they were there, and they called us back after they had checked the room. I would definitely recommend this as a pre cruise hotel.

Room Tip: We had a room facing the alley which was good, but I think that one facing the river would have been...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Victoria, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2012

I have stayed at the Auberge du Vieux-Port five times in the past 8 years. It had been my "go to" hotel and one that I recommended highly to friends visiting Montreal. NIce ambience, great location, nice breakfasts, good staff.

However on my last trip out (April 2012) I was given a poor room, even though I had requested, booked and paid for a nicer room in the old part of the hotel. After asking I was given a nicer room in the older part of hotel, although I could clearly hear my neighbours and their crying baby in the next room on and off throughout the night. And for the next three days I had to squeeze past huge wheeled laundry carts to get into my room. After checking out early I phoned the hotel to ask about some clothes I had left hanging in the room. The manager could not have been less interested, and mumbled some excuses about housekeeping. I came back to the hotel and retrieved my clothes with the aid a charming concierage. The on duty manager did not even have the grace to apologize or look ashamed.

The included breakfast was nice (and the glass of wine), the concierage was most charming but I did not feel like a valued, appreciated guest. The room was not as nice as the rooms I had previously stayed in and the special package was not really a good deal. I felt like the poor cousin showing up uninvited and unwanted and getting a rollout bed in the hall. I will not be going back and will not be recommending the Auberge any longer.

Room Tip: Upstairs, looking over the river are quieter and don't overlook the noisy street bars. Ask for...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank westcoastMum123
Dear WestcoastMum123
Firstly, on behalf of the entire hotel, I sincerely apologize for any inconveniences you experienced. Know that we constantly strive to provide guests with nothing short of a perfect stay. Although I could provide you with reasons as to why the miscommunication occurred, none would excuse the fact that this was our mistake, for which we take full responsibility. I would very much like you to contact us directly so we can discuss the issue one-on-one. We’ll value any additional comments and suggestions you may have. I am glad to hear you enjoyed the breakfast and wine and am happy to know that you found our service gracious, despite the problems you addressed.

Eric Therrien
Las Vegas, Nevada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 4, 2012

Disappointing stay, room spacious but lacked the brick/stone walls advertised. Wifi didn't work in the room. Extremely slow elevator, encountered difficulties with room safe and bathroom spa tub. Could not control air circulation in the room. Never got requested wake-up call as the night porter appeared to be asleep. The daytime concierge was very helpful, evening gentleman not very helpful. The hotel's location is very good but street noises were excessive and intrusive.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Ross P
Niantic, Connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2012

My husband and I just returned from celebrating our 25th wedding anniversary in Montreal. We stayed at the intimate and romantic Auberge du Vieux Port and had just that: an intimate and romantic weekend. This inn has charm and warmth (brick, stone, exposed beams, an excellent restaurant/tavern, and an attentive and very pleasant staff), but is also brimming with up-to-date amenities (free wi-fi, flat screen TVs and the best beds and showers ever). Located on the waterfront in Old Montreal, it is near shops, galleries, restaurants and museums. I can't think of a better place to stay. Will most definitely come here again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank pamedson
Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2012

I stayed at this hotel on my very first business trip, ever - What a treat. The room was beautiful and the view amazing on to the old port. It was very cold and grey, but warm and cozy inside with the exposed brick wall and giant rain forest shower. The customer service and staff attention to detail was fine tuned... I even took advantage of the in-room cd player and cd collection available to borrow from the front desk. Beyond expectation.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2012

We loved our stay here. It is a PERFECT location in old Montreal right on the river and also along the busiest street for shops/restaurants/etc.

It was rather expensive between the taxes (Canada has extremely high taxes) and valet parking (nearly 400 per night), but they gave us one of their honeymoon suite rooms (we booked a king premier room), and it was overlooking the river side. The rate also included a continental buffet breakfast but there was nothing continental about it. It had all the normal items you would see in a continental breakfast, but in addition (and it was included), you pick between eggs/bacon/ham/breakfast potatoes, or an omelette, or pancakes. So, it was a huge breakfast large enough to cover lunch as well.

Every staff member we encountered was top notch and friendly, whether it was the front desk, the restaurant servers, or the bellman. The bellman were amazing (Frederic and I wish I could remember the other ones name as his recall of guests, what room they were in, and what car they were driving was unbelievable). Frederic checked us in and was engaging with conversation and also showed us everything in our room. The Bell staff at this hotel really make an impression as stated in other reviews.

The bed was extremely comfortable and the bathroom was beautiful with a two person huge jetted tub, plus separate large shower. I believe our room was #302. The windows open up onto the street.

The only negatives I have were if you are a light sleeper on weekend nights there is a band that plays at the tavern next door until midnight or later. It wasn't a problem for us. The elevator is also probably the slowest I have ever seen, but it's a building from the 1800's and the hotel certainly makes up for that.

Also, the check out was to be honest a little bit of a cluster.... The hotel has a small reception area. We checked out at 10:30, and other patrons were checking out and also checking in as well. They had two attendants working the desk (all that space would permit). Consequently, there was luggage everywhere, hardly any room to walk or maneuver your bags, etc. My biggest complaint was that the two people working there spent at least fifteen minutes or more with each guest showing them maps, highlighting streets where to go, which restaurant to eat lunch at, where to get ice cream, where to eat dinner, where to find cheese, what destinations to see, etc, etc, etc. All the while, I'm thinking why don't they make the side room into a concierge desk to handle all of this so it isn't a huge claustrophobic mess at the front desk and that people can get checked out in a timely manner to make their flight on time, get to a tour, etc. The front desk should be adept at getting people checked in and out in an efficient way, especially considering the cramped space they have to work with when too many people are cluttered around with their luggage.

That being said, we loved our stay here and will always remember how this charming hotel added to our experience in Montreal.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple