“This hotel was not as advertised or expected.”

Auberge du Vieux-Port
Ranked #8 of 163 Hotels in Montreal
Las Vegas, Nevada
“This hotel was not as advertised or expected.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 4, 2012

Disappointing stay, room spacious but lacked the brick/stone walls advertised. Wifi didn't work in the room. Extremely slow elevator, encountered difficulties with room safe and bathroom spa tub. Could not control air circulation in the room. Never got requested wake-up call as the night porter appeared to be asleep. The daytime concierge was very helpful, evening gentleman not very helpful. The hotel's location is very good but street noises were excessive and intrusive.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Ross P

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (460)
Niantic, Connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2012

My husband and I just returned from celebrating our 25th wedding anniversary in Montreal. We stayed at the intimate and romantic Auberge du Vieux Port and had just that: an intimate and romantic weekend. This inn has charm and warmth (brick, stone, exposed beams, an excellent restaurant/tavern, and an attentive and very pleasant staff), but is also brimming with up-to-date amenities (free wi-fi, flat screen TVs and the best beds and showers ever). Located on the waterfront in Old Montreal, it is near shops, galleries, restaurants and museums. I can't think of a better place to stay. Will most definitely come here again.

1 Thank pamedson
Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2012

I stayed at this hotel on my very first business trip, ever - What a treat. The room was beautiful and the view amazing on to the old port. It was very cold and grey, but warm and cozy inside with the exposed brick wall and giant rain forest shower. The customer service and staff attention to detail was fine tuned... I even took advantage of the in-room cd player and cd collection available to borrow from the front desk. Beyond expectation.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2012

We loved our stay here. It is a PERFECT location in old Montreal right on the river and also along the busiest street for shops/restaurants/etc.

It was rather expensive between the taxes (Canada has extremely high taxes) and valet parking (nearly 400 per night), but they gave us one of their honeymoon suite rooms (we booked a king premier room), and it was overlooking the river side. The rate also included a continental buffet breakfast but there was nothing continental about it. It had all the normal items you would see in a continental breakfast, but in addition (and it was included), you pick between eggs/bacon/ham/breakfast potatoes, or an omelette, or pancakes. So, it was a huge breakfast large enough to cover lunch as well.

Every staff member we encountered was top notch and friendly, whether it was the front desk, the restaurant servers, or the bellman. The bellman were amazing (Frederic and I wish I could remember the other ones name as his recall of guests, what room they were in, and what car they were driving was unbelievable). Frederic checked us in and was engaging with conversation and also showed us everything in our room. The Bell staff at this hotel really make an impression as stated in other reviews.

The bed was extremely comfortable and the bathroom was beautiful with a two person huge jetted tub, plus separate large shower. I believe our room was #302. The windows open up onto the street.

The only negatives I have were if you are a light sleeper on weekend nights there is a band that plays at the tavern next door until midnight or later. It wasn't a problem for us. The elevator is also probably the slowest I have ever seen, but it's a building from the 1800's and the hotel certainly makes up for that.

Also, the check out was to be honest a little bit of a cluster.... The hotel has a small reception area. We checked out at 10:30, and other patrons were checking out and also checking in as well. They had two attendants working the desk (all that space would permit). Consequently, there was luggage everywhere, hardly any room to walk or maneuver your bags, etc. My biggest complaint was that the two people working there spent at least fifteen minutes or more with each guest showing them maps, highlighting streets where to go, which restaurant to eat lunch at, where to get ice cream, where to eat dinner, where to find cheese, what destinations to see, etc, etc, etc. All the while, I'm thinking why don't they make the side room into a concierge desk to handle all of this so it isn't a huge claustrophobic mess at the front desk and that people can get checked out in a timely manner to make their flight on time, get to a tour, etc. The front desk should be adept at getting people checked in and out in an efficient way, especially considering the cramped space they have to work with when too many people are cluttered around with their luggage.

That being said, we loved our stay here and will always remember how this charming hotel added to our experience in Montreal.

Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2012

This hotel is inside a former warehouse and while very modern, still bears the marks of the past. Rooms were spacious and the bathroom was huge, and although the shower itself was quite small, it did offer rainforest-style shower head, water jets, etc. Also, we had a jacuzzi in the bathroom, so that made up for the tight shower space. The beds were comfortable and well made with a feather comforter and gigantic pillows. The breakfast offers a decent range of choices. The staff were all extremely professional yet fun to talk to and extremely helpful, and our dinner at the hotel's restaurant was a great value. Two small issues. We had the unfortunate issue of being in a room that was directly across from a building under construction that started at 7:15 in the morning. Not the hotel's fault at all, in fact they tried very hard to remedy the situation. Unfortunately the hotel was full and we couldn't move. The construction noise in the morning coupled with the noise of people leaving the bar in the wee hours really cut down on the amount of rest I was able to get. My husband was able to sleep through it all, but if you're sensitive to noise, consider spending the extra money on a room facing the port, not the street. Also, the elevator is terribly slow. Luckily, there are stairs in case you are antsy.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the street, not the port, are kind of loud since there is a bar just across the street...
1 Thank Rachel T
Dunedin, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2012

We narrowed down our stay in Montreal to 3 hotels and are so glad we chose Auberge Du Vieux Port! From check in to check out the service was impeccable and everyone was so helpful. We stayed in room 502 which was a king river view superior as we wanted a bit more room and a higher floor without trees obstructing our view.

Parking was at a premium, even for just stopping to unload your luggage. My in-laws had drove their car from Ohio and picked us up at the airport to drive into old Montreal and we recommend a cab! Check in was great and (i forget his name) the gentleman at the front desk was the friendliest hotel manager (?) I have encountered without seeming disingenuous lol.He explained everything in detail including the vouchers for drinks and free breakfast in the morning. We were given our keys and after a long day of fluing and driving were ready to relax for a bit before heading off to Garde Manger for our dinner reservation.

The room was very spacious and well appointed. It was on the 5th floor but not right off the elevator but down a hall and around a corner. I think this would be key on the 5th floor as this is where the entrance to the stairwell to the rooftop bar is and since there are tile doors and the doors slam I wouldn't want to be close to the elevator.There was a work desk as well as a sitting table by the windows overlooking the quays and water frontage road. The bed was the most comfortable we could remember in a long long time. I consider this a pretty big compliment from a couple who has been privileged to stay at some fine hotels in our lives thus far. Beds and linens are subjective of course but the feather mattress topper and down comforter in combination with the super soft sheets made me wake up in a puddle of my own drool each morning. I normally wake up at about 7-7:30 on my own each day but I must have been sleeping so well I awoke like a bird at 6am every morning not feeling the least bit tired!

The bathroom was another treat for the senses. The was a delightful rain shower fixture with multiple jets to maximize the shower experience. I speak for my husband because I never made it there as I was soaking in the jetted tub every morning :-) The bath products were from "Essentiel Elements" out of San Fransisco and I would start each day in the jetted tub with the bath salts and some nice bubbles to relax the muscles we used walking the day before. The shampoo and conditioner were good enough for my long hair I didn't need to go out and buy anything else to supplement (something I usually have to do on extended trips). The bathroom was large and always kept clean by housekeeping.

The view from our room was wonderful (see pictures). There are 2 sides to the hotel-one overlooking the busy pedestrian area which is closed to cars but always bustling and noisy and the water view side which does have a road directly in front of the hotel which is also noisy at certain times of the day/night. The higher the floor the less you hear either way BUT the street cleaners cannot be ignored. My recommendation would be to keep the windows closed unless you sleep really hard to ensure an uninterrupted nights sleep no matter which side you end up on. Besides in the non-winter months the hornets/wasp/bees will buz through your room if you leave them open...they are everywhere in Montreal!

Breakfast was really nice each day. Service was prompt for the food but things like ketchup and tabasco sauce you may just want to walk over to the bar and grab yourself as they seemed to forget to bring when we asked each morning. The breakfast was two parted. The continental spread had fabulous bagels (i'm not a bagel girl and I still think of them), plain croissants, chocolate threaded croissants (get there before 9 and enjoy OMG), bread, bananas, apples, yogurt, granola, milk, jams, cereal, coffee, tea, and 2 kinds of juice (the orange was so good and i'm not an oj fan). Then yo had your choice of a hot menu item-omelet (one of 3 ways), scambled or fried eggs with bacon or sausage, crepes and breakfast meat choice, french toast and breakfast meat choice, or for a nominal upcharge eggs benedict with breakfast meat of choice. Between the two of us we tried them all and they were all good but with the chocolate croissants being so amazing we mostly opted for the protein heavy options since our sweet tooth was satiated.

The location of the hotel is perfect and the main reason we initially chose this property. So close to the cathedral, quays, Chinatown, and smack dab in the middle of old town. We were able to walk everywhere or just sit in the hotel areas outside or inside and watch the world go by. They always had coffee available downstairs in the lobby with all the "trimmings and several sitting areas and nooks to relax in. The restaurant was great for evenings as well as breakfast and ended up being one of our best meals (we went to Garde Manger so big compliment) see review of Tavern Restaurant. Unfortunately every time we wanted to go to the rooftop bar to enjoy a drink it was closed for wind or cold. Now I live in Florida and found some of the weather closings surprising as it felt great outside to me but I understand if there are no patrons it's not viable to keep it open. a shame as the view is amazing-see pics. We got up there one night as they were closing (8pm frowny face) and I took some nice photos.

All in all we would definitely stay here again and can't say enough good things about the service. Some of the other concerns I read never came up when we were there so we have no negatives at all with this property.

Room Tip: Higher floor, book in advance, get to breakfast before 9 for the yummy chocolate croissants, check o...
2 Thank AndiS77
Asheville, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2012

We stayed two nights here in the new section before traveling to Vermont and then one more night in the old before heading home. The staff were very helpful and courteous.
The most curious aspect of the first stay were the floor to ceiling I-beams. Not really a problem, tho. One annoying feature--in room 308 at least--was the ankle-height bed frame sticking out three inches beyond the box spring edge. The remedy was pulling the mattress and box spring away from the headboard so it was even with the frame. This was not a problem in the old section room 404.
You get a coupon for one free "cocktail" on arrival that is good for a glass of house white or red wine and a draft from the tap. I had the shandy tonight and it was superb. If you have never tried shandy--like lemonade mixed with ginger beer--try it here. Its a great summer drink.
Good breakfast.
The showers are to die for.
All in all a top of the line place.