“Second stay even better than the first: perfect!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Auberge du Vieux-Port

Auberge du Vieux-Port
Ranked #9 of 164 Hotels in Montreal
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
“Second stay even better than the first: perfect!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2012

I stayed at this hotel in November 2011 and although a wonderful stay, there were a few little foibles that made me rate the hotel four instead of five star ( and freezing November rain and everything closed down did not add to the ambience--but still a wonderful stay overall).

What few problems I encountered last year have been fully remedied (last stay the internet in my room didn't work, the bar was closed quite early--I think that had to do with the lack of tourism generally, etc.) and my stay this time (over the Labor Day weekend end August/early September) was beyond expectations (which still were pretty high...).

Now in the glory of summer weather, the hotel was packed, lively, colorful, joyful and quite beautiful for the eye to behold (last November, the view from my 5th floor room was stunning with the waterfront trees all golden, but one had to view it through heavy, freezing rain...and with such weather, the hotel felt more closed up and the restaurant obviously would not be serving outside, which is certainly a part of the attraction of this hotel...).

Last year my room number was 503 which was fantastic so I requested the same room (Luxe or Premier Riverview) or similar (dependent on availability). When I arrived, the 5th floor was full but I was given a similar room on the 3rd floor, which was just fine (high beamed ceilings, all the same amenities and feeling of rustic charm...it's just that one can only see the treetops and not the full river view from this height--which was a priority for me). The staff went out of their way to arrange reservations so that I could have my 5th floor room for the three nights of my stay. This time it was room 502 and it was perfect.

One should not expect 5-star modern chain elegance from this hotel (eg. Four Seasons, Park Hyatt, etc.); it is a boutique hotel with traditional charm and 5-star amenities within. The beds are extremely comfortable with fabulous duvet, a multitude of pillows and soft linens; the robes are long, fluffy and luxurious. The internet worked fine this time and was fast. The bathroom had the latest style rainforest/multiple-layered showerhead, plus this room had a large jacuzzi bathtub in it. The view was amazing as at this time of year as the port was full of both moving and docked boats/yachts/tour boats, etc. Street performances, restaurants, jazz sessions were all going on outside/nearby the hotel. Horse carriage rides carried the lulling sound of hoofs past the hotel at all hours (and the horses look pretty content and healthy...unlike the poor suffering, entertainment animals one observes in so many countries...). It was a pleasure just to sit in front of the window with a glass of wine in my own room for hours, watching the world flow by the hotel.

Unlike my first stay, this time the rooftop terrace bar was open and that was yet another highlight of the hotel. It's one of the only rooftop bars in a hotel on the waterfront (having about the same view as from my room) and it was packed with both tourists and local business people after work. The drinks were well made and generous pours (and a good price considering the view). I found the snacks (tapa-like) to be expensive for the amount/quality and decided early on to only have drinks at the bar and save eating for the hotel and other nearby restaurants. (I tried the cod bites and the in-house friend "chips"....the cod was extremely tasty but a tiny amount for the price and the "chips" were basically homemade potato chips--very greasy, dark brown/crispy and not at all worth the price...I paid for them but ate only one and decided they weren't worth the greasy calories). The service at the rooftop bar was excellent.

Breakfast was included in the room price so I ate this every day (outside...beautiful little tables surrounded by pots of flowers--and wasps too, so if you are allergic, stay indoors) and also had one dinner at the hotel. The breakfast includes a continental buffet (and fabulous warm chocolate croissants; well worth the calories!), plus a choice of eggs (with bacon/sausage or ham), crepes or french toast. Very good breakfast. The dinner I had was also very fresh and tasty but huge volume (which is a good thing...); the price very reasonable too.

Finally, the staff service was superlative. The front office staff was constantly cheerful, professional, kind, attentive and efficient in fulfilling requests. And my final words of praise go to the three gentlemen who seem to combine a multitude of professions...concierge, porters, car parking and everything else in between that a hotel guest needs/requests. The hotel was at full capacity while I was there and these men were like worker bees, buzzing from guest to guest and task to task...and so nice every time I saw them; amazing to find (and keep) professional staff like this...it's no wonder why the hotel was at full capacity and I will certainly choose to stay only at this fabulous little boutique hotel on future visits to Montreal.

Room Tip: Higher floor w/river view the best!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank Asiaexpat81

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (459)
Saint Johnsbury, Vermont
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 11, 2012

My husband and I had a wonderful 3-night stay at Auberge du Vieux Port for our 10th anniversary--everything was perfect! Great location, service, room and atmosphere!

Love the bathroom, stone or brick wall, breakfast, and down comforter on the bed.

Room Tip: We stayed on the street side and loved listening to the bustle down below.
oshawa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2012

Very quaint and a great location - facing the port and hearing clip clop of horse and buggies outside - amazing staff and beautifully appointed rooms - the shower is a real treat with rain shower head - complimentary beer or wine when you arrive and the duvet was to die for

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank pestoprincess
Miami, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2012

We stayed here for two nights and loved everything about Auberge du Vieux Port. The location is no more than a block away from all the excitement of the Old City, and all the great restaurants. The rooms are quaint, beautiful and charming, but still modern. You could not ask for a staff to be any more accommodating. Every single person is a super star, and makes for one memorable and wonderful experience! If I couldl give it 5 stars, I would!!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Briarcliff Manor, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2012

The ranking of this hotel is easily a 10.

I am having hard time deciding what the main reason was. Maybe it was the large, beautifully appointed room, or maybe it was the staff that so wonderfully greeted us and made our stay comfortable, maybe it was the location, so central and private, maybe it was the roof bar and breakast setting and their staff, maybe it was because it was a wonderful escape wirh my beautiful wife. Well, it was all of that!

Room Tip: Hotel has only 45 rooms, and from what we saw, they all were wonderful.
Danville, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2012

My husband and I just returned from Quebec City and Montreal. We stayed at Augerge du Vieux-Port while in Montreal. We had a full view of the port from our room on the 5th floor. The view was great and the bed was comfortable (not great). The staff was also very friendly and helpful and the service was great (except for breakfast). I did expect the place to be somewhat nicer than it was as the rooms are not inexpensive at all and overall it's a noisy hotel. We agreed with a few other guests we talked to that is seems like a "party" hotel.

But... our room (501) was right next to the elevator door. Everyone (staying there or not) comes up to the fifth floor gets out and immediately goes up 2 flights of stairs next to the elevator to the rooftop bar. The traffic outside our door was very annoying. If you like the ding ding ding of an elevator till 3AM; the sounds of many people talking while congregating outside the elevator door; the stomping of people going up two flights of metal stairs and the movement of people overhead as the bar was over our room, then this room is PERFECT for you! It didn't start out so bad our first night, but it got worse as we got into the weekend and woke us up a lot.

The rooms also got too warm at night and you can't control the temperature in your room. You have to call the lobby. It's on a central system for the entire hotel!

Also, the computer in the lobby area for guests to use to print boarding passes, etc. is very slow, it must be 10 years old!!

I would say that if you're not over 45 you'll probably be fine with everything, but if you're closer to 60 it wasn't a relaxing place to be.

Room Tip: Don't stay in room 501!!
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank KLD365
AubergeDuVieuxPort, General Manager at Auberge du Vieux-Port, responded to this review, September 13, 2012
Dear KLD365,

Firstly, I appreciate you taking the time to provide feedback. Regarding your positives notes, we are happy to hear you enjoyed your room view as well as our staff's great service.
While i respect all comments and critiques of our establishment, i admit that i have to call a few of your points to question. Our hotel has never until now been referred to as a " party" destination. In fact, top-class guests from around the world have always provided us with feedback of the contrary.
At the beginning of the season, as a way to ensure guests are not bombarded with noise, i made the decision to close our rooftop Terrace every night at 10h30pm ( regardless of any local event or festival)
In turn, i am a bit confused as to where the "party" noise was coming from at three o'clock in the morning.
As per the computer in the lobby, i completely agree with your remarks and will be replacing it with a brand new system.
Again, i thank you for your comments and certainly hope you will give us another chance.
Best Regards,

Eric Therrien
Portland Maine
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2012

We had a wonderful time at Auberge du Veiux-Port. They happily stored our bicycles downstairs and retrieved them for us whenever we wanted them and provided detailed directions and suggestions on the various bike routes through the city. The room was beautiful, with exposed stone and a fabulous glass shower. The staff was extremely friendly and helpful and I would highly recommend this hotel!