“The best restaurant of our trip.”
Review of Barroco

Barroco
Ranked #54 of 5,976 Restaurants in Montreal
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: Vieux-Montreal (Old Montreal)
Description: At Barroco you can expect to enjoy inspired French Mediterranean fare in a warm and cozy atmosphere. With its dim lighting, stone walls and inspired decor, we offer fine dining that is chic but certainly not stuffy! Our friendly and knowledgeable waitstaff will do everything to make sure your experience is a memorable and enjoyable one. Reservations are highly recommended as our small 45-seat dining room tends to fill up quickly! We'll be happy to speak to you on the phone or you can head over to Bookenda to book a table. Looking forward to seeing you!
Reviewed July 22, 2014

We stumbled upon this restaurant in the old part of Montreal purely by accident. We actually had reservations at the restaurant next door, but after looking at the menu we switched. I am thrilled that we did. The food is exquisite, with a great attention to detail. Our waiter Diego was extremely knowledgeable, and very professional about the food and wine. The steak I had was probably the best I have had, as was the nicoise salad. I have had many nicoise salads but this one was the best. My husbands scallops were divine. The presentation of the food was beautiful, and the food was cooked to perfection. It was such a nice surprise to have found this place, I would highly recommend.

Reviewed July 18, 2014

My husband and I went to Montreal as kind of an "impromptu" vacation. My husband read reviews about Barroco so we decided to go and as my title implies my husband will say over and over, it was the best meal of his life! It is a tiny place so I would definitely suggest reservations. We went without them at about 8PM and were able to get a table, but from what I understand, that's not always the case. They suggest you leave about 2 hours to eat there and we went a little over. We started off with the veal tartar and my mouth is salivating now just thinking about it! My husband had the braised short ribs and pretty much licked his plate clean! When given the choice of the ribs or me for the rest of his life he said, "I'll lie and say you!" :) I had the paella which was also amazing and, what felt like, a never ending portion! I won't say it was the best paella I've ever had, but it was pretty close!! Overall, we left completely full and wanting more! It is a little pricey (for the appetizer, 2 meals, and 2 drinks each it was about $200 CAD including tip); however, we will go back to Montreal (and battle the ridiculous security check points in Toronto) just to eat at Barroco again!

Reviewed July 14, 2014

The restaurant was recommended to me by one of my Toronto office coworkers. Wow, were they ever right!
Our visit was on a warm summer night where the life on the street gently poured through the big open window, and the laughter from the bar mixed in with the great tunes. The place was buzzing with activity and happy diners, yet it was cozy and inviting; authentic bare stone walls, and exposed beams from the historic original building in old Montreal!
Our server was friendly and helpful, and I loved the "book" of drink listings!
Food was fabulous, I had the steak, and my beau had the lamb chops, both were done to perfection.
Thanks for helping us celebrate a great night out!

Reviewed July 8, 2014

My husband and I celebrated our 40th wedding anniversary with a trip to Montreal. On our last visit two years ago we happened upon this darling restaurant and gave it a try. We were delighted and decided to book it this year for our anniversary dinner. It was everything we remembered! It is so cozy and quaint with beautiful tea candles lit throughout the restaurant. The service was amazing. The food delicious! We shared a wonderful cheese board and our server took the time to write down the names of the cheeses we so enjoyed. We also ordered the Paella and it was wonderful. It was a memorable experience and we look forward to our next visit ! It remains our Old Montreal favorite.

Reviewed July 4, 2014 via mobile

My husband and I celebrated our anniversary dinner here. It has a lovely ambiance with tasteful decorations. The service was excellent! The menu is small and only offers one option for vegetarians: a small, but pricey pasta dish that was average at best! The pasta itself was very nice and fresh, but the tomato sauce needed more pizazz....the addition of cheese shavings and pepper helped to add more flavor. My husband really enjoyed the steak and it was done to his specifications! The side dish of rapine was delicious, but it was a bit messy to eat...maybe if it was served with less liquid it would be better! Overall, it was a very good dinner!

1  Thank Amy W