“Average food for peace of mind”
Review of Zero8 - CLOSED

Zero8
Cuisines: International, Grill
Good for: Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Neighborhood: Quartier des Spectacles
Description: ZERO8 is a gluten and allergen free restaurant in Montreal. Delicious, home made fresh food. We offer grills, braised meats and we always have vegan options.
Reviewed December 12, 2012

I have been to Zero8 several times this past year. I do not go for any amazing food quality but go knowing that I will be eating safe food that will not make me sick as I am Celiac. The lunch and dinner (especially dinner) items are fairly pricey but it is convenient to finally have a place to go out with friends or family to grab a sandwich and fries like a normal person while out for the day.

The hamburger and sandwich were tasty and I have always been pleased with all of their desserts. Only negatives as I mentioned above is price, service is touch and go and once ordered the quinoa salad of the day and it was so bad I would go as far as saying it was inedible.

Reviewed November 10, 2012

As a nutritionally conscious diner, I more than appreciate restaurants like this one. The food does not contain any of the top 8 allergens (diary, gluten, soy, nuts, etc) yet exceeded our expectations on taste and presentation. We ordered the chicken sandwich as well as a side of poutine and the lamb burger- all amazing. Will certainly be back!

Reviewed August 3, 2012

Let's cut to the chase: skip dinner and go right to dessert. My family of 4 came here for dinner on a Thursday evening at the recommendation of our hotel. It was a long journey to get here, but with two gluten intolerant members, we were willing to make the hike to be able to actually eat anything on a menu for once. We were seated right away...then began the long wait. While we arrived at 5:45 and it wasn't crowded, it took a long time for nearly everything. As the place filled up later, things slowed to a standstill. They appeared to be understaffed, and running like crazy. When we got our food (sandwiches and pasta, not labor-intensive items) after nearly an hour, they were just OK. For gluten intolerant folks, having any kind of bread is a treat, I'll give you that, but the roast beef on my sandwich was way too rare. I ate around the edges and couldn't touch the middle. Plus, the special sauce they use on the sandwiches is a blend of ketchup and mustard...back to the drawing board on that one. My son's pasta was hard and undercooked. Their burger was really good. None of it lived up to the hype. Fortunately, we ordered dessert before leaving, and saved the evening. Their lava cakes are lovely! Now, they're not going to equal a real, butter, cream, egg and flour lava cake, but for those of us who can't eat that -- these are phenomenal. They're like a chocolate muffin, with a slightly chewy texture, almost like gingerbread, yet chocolate. Warm and wonderful. As a result, we left our nearly 2 hour sandwich dinner happy. Lava cakes saved the day.

Reviewed July 31, 2012

...and not fear what is on your plate, for a change! I am gluten intolerant and was delighted to find this place right on Saint-Denis Street, a major restaurant strip in Montreal. Service was friendly and prompt (but not overly so) and we enjoyed our food very much. I had the guinea fowl leg confit, which was delicious. I eat a lot of duck confit, and this was a nice change. The fries were quite good, but the salad could have been a bit larger. I will certainly be back.

Reviewed July 14, 2012

That's it. I'm not going to this place again. On the terrasse, on a very sunny afternoon, it took us 30 minutes to have our drinks. My beer was almost finished by the time I got the fries. They don't have Mayonnaise, ketchup......A sauce that is more like a soup and waitresses who hate their job. It's 2 in the afternoon. I will not order a full meal. I am gluten intolerant and know for a fact that Heinz Ketchup and Hellmann's Mayonnaise have no gluten. And if the chef needs help I can make the sauce, a real sauce. 8$ a cheap glass of wine, and the rest is ...

Zero8, General Manager at Zero8, responded to this reviewResponded July 18, 2012

Dear sir,

I am deeply concerned with your review.

Would you please email us at info@zero8.com and provide more details, namely your complete order, date and time of your visit? 30 minutes for drinks is nowhere our acceptable standards, unless someone ordered 10 mojitos.

Heinz ketchup is readily available as it has been validated for our 8 allergen promise and was also submitted to ELISA testing for gluten.

Mayonnaise, on the other hand, contains eggs and is therefore strictly forbidden in our restaurant, this is why we propose our home-made alternative made of fresh herbs.

Should you have any problem with the service, rest assured that you can reach a manager or associate at any time. Please ask your server.

Hopefully you will have the pleasure of enjoying a gluten-free hamburger made with our new delicious homemade bread soon!

Best regards,