“cool contemporary bar”

Cuisines: International, Grill
Good for: Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Neighborhood: Quartier des Spectacles
Description: ZERO8 is a gluten and allergen free restaurant in Montreal. Delicious, home made fresh food. We offer grills, braised meats and we always have vegan options.
Reviewed July 2, 2012

great little bar and restaurant on Rue St Denis, great vibe, excellent wine

Reviewed June 25, 2012

We specifically visited this restaurant based on a recommendation of a food allergy website. It did not disappoint!
It is located in the Latin Quartier of Montreal. The closest subway stop is Berrie-UQAM, exit onto Rue St. Denis, it's a short walk. Located in more of a 'locals' neighborhood, not so touristy, and mostly French is spoken here.
We dined at around 5:30 pm on a Thursday. The waiter asked about food allergies in our party right off the bat. They eliminate the top 8 food allergens from the restaurant. The owner, who was there, is food allergic himself, so they are very careful.They even had gluten free soap in the restrooms.
The waiters had a pretty good knowledge of English, and tried their best to communicate the menu to us. There is a children's menu as well. Our food allergic daughter was so excited to be able to order anything she wanted off the menu, especially dessert, usually off limits for her anytime we eat out.
The portions were not too large, just right in fact. We especially enjoyed the braised beef and the duck salad. We tried 3 desserts-lava cake, apple cake and a blueberry muffin type cake. They were all good, couldn't tell they were gluten and dairy free. The food was very fresh and came piping hot.
It was a bit pricey, for 4 adults and one child, a few cocktails and desserts, it was around $160 with tip. Montreal is generally very expensive, and this was the most we spent on a meal on our trip.
It was fun to see a family with a food allergic child next to our table so excited to be able to order bread and pasta at a restaurant, he was so happy.
I do wish they could franchise restaurants of this type in the U.S.

1  Thank Donna U
Reviewed June 6, 2012

This was a great treat on my vacation. I have a few of the "major 8" allergies but also some that go beyond that. It was such a relief to be able to order food from a kitchen the knew everything that was going in to their food!

We had multiple appetizers and a main each. Everything tasted excellent. I only had two issues, the quality of the steak I had wasn't great which I was surprised about considering the rest of our courses.. And I wasn't able to eat any of the desserts due to my allergies. Kind of annoying as I would have expected a restaurant like this to have desserts that could be customized for the customers it draws in!

Reviewed May 11, 2012

We went to this restaurant as our guest of honour is celiac and the entire menu is gluten free, as well as being free of the 8 major allergens people react to (including dairy, nuts, seafood/fish and others). We expected the food to be so so but it was actually very tasty and very nicely presented. They had lovely blender drinks and overall everyone enjoyed the meal very much and we would go back again. Make sure to reserve, this is a popular spot and not a huge room.

Reviewed April 23, 2012

I can't wait for them to open up a chain in Ontario. I really hope they do. This its the place to eat at if you're allergic to any of the following :1. Fish and seafood
2. Peanuts
3. Nuts
4. Sesame seeds
5. Milk
6. Soya
7. Eggs
8. Wheat or any grain containing gluten (barley, oat, rye and triticale)
9. Sulfites (food supplement)

I chose this place because I'm celiac and can't tolerate even trace amounts. Not only did I get excellent service, the food was delicious and had plenty of options. My friends who accompanied me, and are not celiac, also enjoyed the food a lot. Their dessert menu is unique and very tasty.

Their staff is friendly and knowledgable and working with the sole agenda to help you have a good time. I wasn't sure what I could pack for my trip back to London the next day, so I asked their staff. They were sure to consult with the chef to make sure the food I packed wouldn't go bad.
They also sell packaged food that's prepared in their cafe- so you're absolutely sure there's no cross contamination.

I know whenever I return to Montreal, that's the place I'm eating at. No doubt about it.

1  Thank Nikki K