“Gem in downtown Montreal”
Review of House of Jazz

House of Jazz
Ranked #9 of 219 Nightlife in Montreal
Reviewed February 15, 2014

Went there for lunch with my husband on Valentine's day. Had a great time. Service was impeccable, food was really good (had a vegetarian salad and my husband chicken a la king). Decor is lovely. You feel transported to another place. Will definitely be back, but this time will go back for dinner when there is a band!

1  Thank Ameavo

Reviewed December 31, 2013

This resto/club is a fixture in downtown Montreal. It has been there for many years and attracts good acts. The 4 piece band was competent and played a series of pieces from the classic to the the more recent repertoire.
The food was another matter.
We made a reservation with the Groupon coupon. The meal was a set piece with soup as the first course, although there were other entrees on the menu. While we could get other appetizers, we could not get credit for the one offered. The soup turned out to be a very poor thickened cauliflower soup served with a 4 mm slice of toasted baguette. While I don't expect a Crème du Barry, I expect some evidence of cauliflower. The duck terrine was a moulded meat of some consistency served with about 6 of the above baguette slices, hot (English style) mustard and mini gherkins on a wooden board. For the mains, we had the choice of the menu. My partner took the filet Mignon, I the southern style ribs. The Mignon was about a 5 oz portion, normally adequate, but cooked well done rather than the medium requested. The ribs were gross. Large side ribs, about 4'' long by about 1'' wide which were sparingly coated with a commercial sauce and tasted piggy. The meat was tender but no joy there.Garnish was a moderate portion of MacDonald's style shoestring fries. Ketchup was from portion packs.
Onto dessert a selection of commercial offerings. We selected the caramel cakes ..one with chocolate and 1 with apple. Both were too sweet for our tastes and uninspiring. Tea and coffee were ok, but the coffee was served with milk only (I am a cream person) in a smallish cup, and refills were not offered.
It was a cold night, but the restaurant was not very warm when we arrived. We soon found out it was because the doors to the out side were opened and the door to the restaurant room was kept open, allowing blasts of frigid air to enter with the arrival of customers. Some customers asked for the door to be closed but this was not done. Again on the inconsiderate side, at least one of the jazz songs was accompanied by the vigorous clacking of a cocktail shaker. Toilet facilities are adequate, but up a narrow 10 step staircase.

In spite of the above, the worst aspect of the evening was the abominable pacing of the meal and the poor service. We arrived early with just a few people in the resto, but our drinks took 15 minutes to serve, after half an hour we asked if the soup would be long and were stunned at the reply ' Oh you want your soup now!' Same thing for the terrine ... after another half an hour, we had to ask for it, same thing for the mains ... after another half an hour had to ask for that too.It is now 8 pm and we got there at 6.15. After the mains were cleared away, coffee and tea arrived and dessert orders were placed. Just late enough to not have coffee to go with the very sweet dessert.
We asked for the check before 10.30 and could not pay for another 20 minutes. Very annoying.
We left a little before 11 pm.
This was a very disappointing evening at several levels, however the resto does provide good quality live jazz. The performers can be checked out on their web site. My suggestion is to eat before you go, pay the reasonable $10 cover charge, and sit at the bar which has a good view of the stage.
Would I go again? Perhaps for jazz but not for a meal.

2  Thank Ted H
Reviewed December 23, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I like to go here for an evening out. We have however decided that it is best to eat elsewhere and go here for a few drinks and perhaps a cheese plate or other appies. The service is good, the music is great but the main courses on the menu are mediocre at best. On thia visit, my wife had the 12oz sirloin which was not well seasoned and I had the rack of ribs which did not taste any better than pre-cooked frozen ribs from the grocery store. Instead of making fresh cut fries, they serve the frozen matchstick grocery store variety. I get that they are going for a chicken'n'rib thing, but they are aren't great and you pay a premium there. To end on a positive note, they have a jwide selection of creative and fairly priced cocktails, just don't eat your main course there.

2  Thank Chris_Hickson
Reviewed December 22, 2013

Great discovery! We have been to other House of Jazz, but never the one in Montreal. Saw a deal on Groupon and decided to try it (Two for the price of one) including a four course meal and an apéro. We loved it! We had reservations for 6h30 and we were welcomed by a very nice Maître D at the door (the cover charge was covered with the groupon, so only had to pay an extra 5$ for the Saturday night). Our waiter was wonderful and attentive and the food was truly excellent! Sorry to hear the bad reviews, but our experience was incredible! The place was jammed packed and the music was awesome.

1  Thank SylvieFrancois444
Reviewed December 16, 2013

Sunday, Dec. 15, we had reservation at the House of Jazz to celebrate a birthday. Expecting a wonderful evening of music and dining. But that is not the case. We were seated right in front of the stage and half of us had our back towards the stage, so we could not fully enjoy the band. The first sign of trouble is while placing our order; the waiter tells us that they were out of chicken wings. Now how to describe the pricey meals... terrible and tasteless. We were served burnt and soggy nachos, dry chicken, oiled hard fries, overcooked salmon, rubber Angus steak (“AAA”), gluey rice, sopping salad. It was like eating leftover scraping from the bottom of the pot. I don't recommend this restaurant.

1  Thank a k