“Wonderful lamb dish!”

Ranked #105 of 6,228 Restaurants in Montreal
Cuisines: French, Spanish
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Neighborhood: Vieux-Montreal (Old Montreal)
Description: The restaurant Les Pyrenees celebrates the gastronomy of the Basques and of the Catalonians, creating a wonderful symbiosis in between french and spanish culinary cultures.
Reviewed May 20, 2014 via mobile

I came on a Tuesday evening, around 9 pm. They only had. Four top, but were kind enough to accommodate a solo me!

I had the 12 hour braised lamb and it was amazing! Fell apart with the fork and melted in my mouth! Served with mashed potatoes and soy beans!

I had the Catalin creme brûlée. It was flavorless and had a small cake on the side that was hard to cut with my fork. There was chocolate sauce on the plate and that was the only saving of the creme brûlée.

I would return for the lamb, but try the profiteroles instead!

Reviewed May 19, 2014

It can be a little tight and noisy, but the food is excellent. Appetizer portions were small, yet extremely flavorful. The entrees were delicious! The duck, the lamb, the pork...all excellent. The staff was attentive and personable. We felt the costs were reasonable for an Old Montreal location. Can't wait to go back!

Reviewed May 15, 2014 via mobile

I must honestly say I am surprised with the reviews for this restaurant. I was in a group of 20 for dinner and was appalled by the poor service, food and portion size. I understand to eat in Old Montreal one expects to pay a premium so I will not comment on price.

Upon arriving we were asked to move twice and the service was less than attentive... It felt like the group was an annoyance to the stone-faced service staff more than anything.

The food arrived promptly and the Scallops, mussels and risotto were sub-standard. Scallops tough, mussels were old and in a watered down broth and risotto was not cooked thoroughly enough. The portion for the risotto and scallops was laughable.

The soups ordered were all rather good and generous in portion.

The main courses were unremarkable. The lamb was dry and tasteless, steak dry and tasteless and fish.... Well you get the idea.

At this point, I am waiting for the server to ask how the meal is/was (portion was so small it was eaten before pepper mill came around) to let her know about our experience. As this was a company event, it was decided to let it go (not ruin the evening) and share the experience on this forum.

This restaurant was suggested by the concierge at the Embassy Suites, I did feel obligated to let him know that our group did not have the positive experience of a smaller group or couple and he should consider this when making recommendation.

Reviewed April 29, 2014

Les Pyrenees offers quality food at a reasonable price in the old town: that's pretty rare. As one online French guidebook says, it's a very good restaurant wedged between two tourist traps (just read the reviews). We had groups both nights and everyone enjoyed the food. The Catalan-style cassoulet was excellent, as was the 12-hour lamb. Appetizers were good. Magret de canard was only fair; I would definitely go with the cassoulet (which was on the specials menu) or the lamb (regular menu). One friend had a Catalan flan for dessert and thought it splendid. Wines : the Pinot Noir from Burgundy ($49) is fair, the Ribera del Duero at around $60 was vastly superior. If you get something like lamb or cassoulet, go with that one. Really good value for a wine in a restaurant in Canada (for those of you from the US, wine taxes are much higher in Canada than in the US, so wines are more expensive than they are here in restaurants). Service was friendly, efficient. Truly a nice place to eat in the lovely old quarter. Please note that the winter menu we saw was about to change; the waiter told us the new, spring menu would start on April 28th.

Reviewed April 28, 2014

Menu was so appealing that it was hard to choose ... All my favourite choices were there. Very intimate but casual atmosphere just off Place d'Youville. Would definitely return for the soupe de poisson alone.