“good dinner”
Review of Osco! Restaurant

Osco! Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Osco! Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #399 of 5,764 Restaurants in Montreal
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Quartier International
Cross street: St-Pierre Street
Transit: Square Victoria Station or Place D'armes station
Description: Warmth, elegance and mouth-watering flavors are always on the menu at Osco! True to his Occitan roots, our Chef Matthieu Saunier offers a menu full of sunshine, including a succulent bouillabaisse, creamy risotto dishes and delicious grilled steaks. And of course, fine cuisine isn't complete without fine wine! The Osco! Wine cellar consists of around 700 hand-picked bottles, including a large assortment of enticing private imports and wines made in organic and biodynamic wineries.
Greenville, MS
“good dinner”
Reviewed July 22, 2014

I usually don't eat at the hotel where I stay but we were tired and just stopped in to see what was there. The waiter was very good and we enjoyed our dinner. We had a good table and spent an enjoyable evening, with dessert.

Visited July 2014
BernardChenevert, General Manager at Osco! Restaurant, responded to this review, July 23, 2014
Dear guest,
Thank you for taking the time to write this note on your experince at our restauration. We are glad you have enjoyed your evening with us.

Montreal, Canada
“Great business lunch!”
Reviewed July 2, 2014

We came to Osco for convenience but were totally surprised by the quality of the daily offering ( I had the blood sausage and polenta appetizer) and then the grilled salmon main dish. My colleagues who are otherwise difficult customers to satisfy were very happy with their selection from the menu written on a blackboard.
Service was actually very good. We were by and large very surprised and very appreciative.
Would repeat the experience any time!

• Visited May 2014
Montreal, Canada
“Hotel guests should explore the neighbourhood”
Reviewed June 7, 2014

Perhaps the best part of my Wednesday lunch experience here was the restaurant space itself, rich and elegant, with an intimate feel. I felt my lunch merited only an average rating—at this price point one I would expect more memorable flavours. The service was pleasant enough, but honestly it should not be up to the guest to have to request that white wine be chilled and not served at room temperature (as the wine steward would have done had I not objected). While Osco! is undeniably convenient for a guest staying at the hotel, Toqué! (somewhat overrated but more than a match for Osco!) is just a few steps away and in the same price range. There is no shortage of less expensive options within a 5-minute stroll.

• Visited June 2014
Dearborn, Michigan
“Gourmet (not Chow-Down) Experience”
Reviewed June 5, 2014

This is a superb restaurant for a small, gourmet meal in a place of quiet, soothing ambiance and gracious unobtrusive service. It's right inside the Hotel Intercontinental (2nd floor (first floor European usage)) -- marvelously convenient for a hotel guest, such as myself). I had the ham (served on a plank with cherry tomatoes) and a luscious green salad. The waiter was professional and very courteous. Commendably (I do not drink alcohol), the waiter did not push the wine (other friends tell me the wines are superb in both quality and breadth of selection).

• Visited June 2014
BernardChenevert, General Manager at Osco! Restaurant, responded to this review, June 12, 2014
Dear EJW8191,
Thank you for this 5 star review, we are glad you have enjoyed your dinning experience with us, we hope to see you again soon.
Dansville, NY
“Puzzling Dining Experience”
Reviewed May 28, 2014

My teenaged son and I were staying at the InterContinental in Montreal, so this was a very convenient dining option. Pricing suggests that we will have a fine dining experience. We were seated at a 4-top and given 3 menus. My son ordered from the bar menu and I ordered from the restaurant menu. The waiter took our order and only took away two of the menus. He also left all the stemware even though we were not going to be having wine. OK, we thought, maybe he's new.

I ordered an Absinthe Cocktail, a drink this place is known for. It requires a preparation ritual from the waiter. In the middle of this ritual, my waiter walked away leaving a watered down mess of a cocktail. He did not apologize. Worse, he acted as if this was correct and didn't hesitate to charge me the $11.

Before our meal our waiter brought a bread basket with some olive tapenade. He referred to this as "dip." My teenaged son said, "He must think we're stupid Americans," which is sad because our reason for being in Montreal was to expose my son to a more international world culture. The bread was warm and the "dip" was fine. We did, however, have to ask for napkins as our table had been set without them.

I ordered the lobster ravioli. I received two ravioli. Just two. They were cold and the sauce was strangely sweet. Not quite right for seafood. My son felt so bad about my skimpy meal (once he finished laughing) that he offered me some of his food (pizza from the bar). If you've ever dined with a teenaged boy you know things are bad if they offer to share their food.

I ate my two ravioli figuring I would fill up on the bread basket, but our waiter came and whisked that away without asking if we were done. Literally snatched the food out of our hands. The restaurant was not busy, there were only two other tables and it was hours before closing time so no clue why we got the bum's rush. Our waiter actually began washing off our table while we were still sitting there figuring the bill - and his tip.

My son asked later if this guy felt that strongly about Americans being dirty, and stupid. Ugh. Not the lesson I wanted him to learn. And if I'm not mistaken, our waiter was from the United States based on his northeastern accent when speaking English.

This is a room with very nice ambiance, but dinner is little more than very expensive appetizers. Have your absinthe at the bar and then walk down to Old Montreal for dinner. Skip Osco! We will next time.

• Visited April 2014
2 Thank MeeferRadness
BernardChenevert, General Manager at Osco! Restaurant, responded to this review, May 30, 2014
Dear FippleHiney,

We thank you for your comments regarding your visit to our restaurant. The concept of our Brasserie Provençale is to offer a warm and friendly atmosphere and flavors and simplicity are always on the menu. However, we're sorry to hear you have not been welcomed and served properly by our staff and that the menu you haves was not been explained as we usually do. Thank you for sharing your comments with our team.

sincerely,