“Appalling cold food”

Neighborhood: Centre-Ville (Downtown)
London, United Kingdom
“Appalling cold food”
Reviewed October 11, 2013

Came here October 2013 after a long flight, chose this restaurant as it was near to our hotel. Looked nice from the outside, especially the terrace. That's where the positives end. Disappointing menu, told a 35 minute wait despite the restaurant being almost empty. Still nothing after forty five minutes. My husband had a childishly presented gnocchi which looked like a tin of tomatoes had been poured on top, served on a cold plate. I had seabass spaghetti which was absolutely cold. Sent my food back and ten minutes later the food reappeared exactly the same and still cold. The manager offered me another meal and a free drink but my husband had eaten his and I was tired and fed up - how hard is it to cook pasta?! - so refused both. Shame that our first visit to Montreal began so badly.

• Visited October 2013

Ottawa
“Terrible dinner”
Reviewed September 9, 2013

My boyfriend and I were walking down Crescent Street looking for some great Italian food. The hostess did a great job selling the menu, but maybe she hasn't tried the food.
Inside the resto, there were a moderate amount of tables, mostly empty (should have been a clue) we decided to sit outside. We waited and waited for service, finally a server came over an apologized (he was very nice). Seeing how the place was not busy I would expect faster service. There seemed to be a few "regulars" there... maybe they took up the servers time.
My boyfriend got a glass of wine (which wasn't good) and I ordered the seafood pasta. Absolutely no flavour, and cold. My boyfriend got the mushroom fettucini, which was disgusting and also cold. Seeing how there were only a handful of people there, I would think our food would be hot. There was no bread offered.. most Italian restaurants offer bread while you wait. Not a big deal though. We complained to the manager who spoke to the chef. They offered to make us another meal, but I was not interested. He also offered drinks, but we didn't want to stay there any longer. I was surprised they didn't discount the bill... we paid full price for gross half uneaten food, I do not recommend this place unless you just want to party on the patio.

• Visited September 2013
Boston, Massachusetts
“Stumbled onto a great meal”
Reviewed September 6, 2013

My wife and I were walking down Crescent Street looking for a place to have dinner. We took a seat at Via on their terrace pretty much by chance. The weather was ideal for sitting outside. The restaurant is moderately expensive, but comparable to other similar places in Montreal, as best I can tell. The owner chatted with us for awhile, telling us that he was from Sardinia and brought the chef over from Italy. We split the gnocchi and the dish of the day, which was sea bass simmered with vegetables. The gnocchi was excellent, very light and tasty. I don't think I have had better gnocchi. The sea bass was well prepared, though not my favorite. The service was relaxed but attentive.

• Visited August 2013
Ottawa
“Complete lack of service from our waitress”
Reviewed July 7, 2013

We chose here to enjoy a drink after a concert, with it's nice outdoor terrace. It looks like a classy, service-oriented type of establishment. We were seated promptly at a nice outdoor table, and given our drink menus. I requested a food menu as well, as we perhaps wanted to get an app. We ordered a pitcher of sangria, and I told the waitress that we were ok for the moment, but would perhaps order some bruschetta in a few (minutes). She brought us our sangria, and then we barely saw her and never heard from her again. We were there for more than an hour. Quite unfortunate, as the lack of service then put a bit of a damper on the experience. Other wait staff seemed quite attentive, moving guests around as dictated by the odd smattering of rain. We finally had to request our bill from another gentleman that was passing by. then the table next to us managed to flag her down for their bill. When she brought them their bill, we then requested ours again, and she snappily informed us that - yes, she'd been informed. I'm not sure what the story was there - but the most complete lack of service I've ever received.

*The sangria was delicious

• Visited July 2013
montreal
“Fantastic authentic Italian.”
Reviewed June 3, 2013 via mobile

We were attracted by the menu the inviting terrace and the Crescent Street location. However, nothing could have prepared us for the exceptional culinary experience we had! Piero the Chef is a genius!! He was brought in from Italy for Via Resto lounge and we are lucky he's here!!!! We had the beef tartar which was the best I've ever had anywhere! The carpaccio was also exceptional and came with a delicious salad that complimented it perfectly. But our filet mignon with the truffle sauce reduction was absolutely heavenly. The filet melts in your mouth! Served with a sautéed spinach that was just incredible. For dessert we all shared one of each of the items on the dessert menu. All desserts are home made on site. The Tiramisu, best I ever had! Chocolate Ferraro Rocher lava cake, best I ever had! Fruit in edible basket, yummy! A passion fruit cup was very refreshing and lite! The staff was excellent. Our waitress Jordan was a complete pleasure. The owners, Mazen and Giordano have created a new gem on crescent street. The warm friendly ambiance, fabulous food and exceptional staff will definitely keep us and many others coming back for more.

• Visited June 2013