“Romantic Christmas holiday for two”
Review of Le Petit Hotel

Le Petit Hotel
Ranked #4 of 166 Hotels in Montreal
Reviewed December 27, 2013

We decided to treat ourselves to a two-night stay at le petit hotel in Old Montreal over Christmas Eve to Boxing Day. It was definitely a very self-indulgent holiday, and this hotel added just the perfect amount of laid-back romance to it.

It is right in the heart of Old Montreal, and in the summer it must be one of the best locations for stepping directly into the action. While driving to and from the hotel, we actually got stuck behind horse-drawn carriages touring the old port area.
The building itself is a showcase of historic architecture. We had a corner room with three large windows and stone walls...one of which curved gently, definitely not a modern hotel room. It was a little chilly in the winter with such large windows and the exposed stone, but that made cuddling up in the cushy king bed even better!

The past few trips we've made to Montreal, we've stayed at Hotel Gault, another boutique hotel in Old Montreal. That hotel is quite sleek and modern, with suited staff treating you like a VIP. le petit hotel seems more charmingly casual, with staff who treat you like a good friend visiting them. (I like both these approaches!)

We asked to use a dvd player, as our Christmas tradition includes watching Love, Actually. It was delivered with a wide selection of dvds, which was great as we ended up spending much of our time snuggling up in the warm luxurious bed!
We also borrowed the hotel's iPad, and they were able to find us a phone charger as well. The front desk told me that the chargers are actually left behind by guests, and if they couldn't find me one, I was advised to check with their larger sister property, Hotel Nelligan.

The bathroom was alright, although it did take several minutes to figure out the shower options. The instructions are almost invisible, but I'm not sure if the shower was designed that way or if it's because of age. I preferred the overhead rain showerhead over the side showerheads but that's because I'm too short. I thought the toiletries smelled amazing, and we got new bottles our second day. I did briefly miss the heated concrete bathroom floors at Hotel Gault, as I'm sensitive to extreme temp changes.

We had some confusion with room service, thinking that there was a regular menu for all-day room service and a special menu from Verses restaurant between 6-10pm. When we tried to order around 3pm, it turned out that there is no all-day room service. This should probably be more clearly explained on the room service menu...

The breakfast was really nice, as other reviewers have mentioned. I was hoping to spend more time sitting in the comfy leather armchairs in the lobby, drinking coffee and feeling stylish but as I mentioned, it was cold and the bed in the room was extremely conducive to snuggling up and watching movies. Oh well...there's always next time!!

All in all, I found le petit hotel very charming and perfect for a romantic getaway. I'd love to visit it in the summer as well.

2  Thank cinnabum
Write a ReviewReviews (1,129)

Reviewed December 27, 2013

WE arrived later in the day in some cold and nasty weather and the hotel staff was very friendly and helpful. Our room was awesome - up half a flight of stairs and it felt like a loft apartment - exposed brick and stone, great furnishings and a great soft bed. Breakfast was delicious. Overall a great hotel and would highly recommend.

Room Tip: Room 301 was awesome
1  Thank GerardMarrone
Reviewed December 26, 2013

If you're looking to stay in Old Montreal, or really anywhere near the downtown, I'd highly recommend Le Petit Hotel. The hotel is located in historic and beautiful Old Montreal. It's close to downtown as well as the metro so you can easily access Montreal from there. The building is old and historic but with a modern feel inside. The rooms are a mix of exposed stone, wood, and modern style furniture. The staff are very nice and helpful. The breakfast is also great; a mix of fruit, Montreal style bagels, pastries, and yoghurt. I've stayed here a couple times now and I'd definitely make a point of staying again here in the future.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Philadelphia_Collins
Reviewed December 26, 2013

Well located in Old Montreal, close to shops and fine restaurants. Subway station is not very far if you want to explore other parts of the city. Friendly, informal staff are ready to help whenever you need them. Breakfast is simple but of good quality, with fresh croissants, breads, yogurt.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank PRFlor
Reviewed December 26, 2013

Elegant, clean, well decorated and comfortable are the basics and they accomplish with this requirements effortlessly. All the people that work in the front desk are very well prepared, attentive, educated and well informed, are always ready to provide to the “Montreal New Comers” excellent tips, from various types of subjects… restaurants, places to go during the day, the night…. So one of my recommendations would be to abuse from their services as much as you can, because they are good!
The breakfast, is simple, but good and very well received when you are getting ready to deal with the cold weather and the snow that Montreal has to offer….
If you are looking for a romantic hotel located at one of the most interesting areas of Vieux Montreal this is definitely the place you would like to be.

Reviewed December 16, 2013

Le Petit Hotel is a lovely place! Very nice room with a great king size bed. Breakfast was delicious! Outstanding coffee and pastries. Everything was nicely cleaned. It is located in the Vieux Montreal, close to lots of amazing restaurants, touristic attractions and the subway. Great option for a romantic trip.

2  Thank Lila C
Reviewed December 10, 2013

There are only a couple of small points that keep this from being a 5* hotel in my opinion. It's in an excellent location (heart of Vieux Montreal and just a few blocks from the Metro) and the small/tiny size is often missing from new boutique hotels.

Pros:
-Great location: Yes, it's touristy, but much less so than a few blocks east

-Small size: It's nice to have a break from large hotels with hectic cab stands.

-Calm ambience: I think "calm" is the right word...There is no club/lounge or thumping bass
music; only a small cafe that's integrated into the lobby.

-Homey feel: Maybe this is part of the small size and calm ambience, but returning to the hotel after a meal, walk, etc. felt like returning to a comfortable home rather than a mere hotel.

-Rustic buildout: There aren't many places you can stay with raw stone walls, but this is one of them...and it's a really nice change of pace. Some of the furniture was modern (and I'm a fan of modern design), but it didn't really feel out of place.

Cons:
-Bathrooms: The design choices in the rest of the hotel might not be perfect, but they make sense. The bathroom, however, was just poorly done. There's almost no shelf space, the shower head is a complete waste of money (it looks like a futuristic device from Sharper Image and works marginally; they could have spent much less for a simple and functional Speakman setup). There's an odd/cheap wainscoating on the walls. The sink isn't a match either. The bathroom just seemed like an afterthought and could have been much better at the same (or lower) cost.

-Bedding: The mattress was just wayyy to soft for me, but I guess that's a personal preference issue. I'm also a bit anal/crazy about under-sheets being nicely tucked into, so when the bedding slides loose the instant you sit down...that doesn't work for me. Again, I'm super picky in that regard, so take it with a big grain of salt.

Overall, the only thing keeping this from being a 5* review was the poorly done bathroom. I don't think I'd stay anywhere else in Montreal.

Room Tip: We had a large room looking over the street. Lots of windows and highly recommended.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple