“More like "Hostel"”

Hotel Stay Mont Royal
Ranked #111 of 143 Montreal B&B and Inns
Reviewed February 2, 2013

I would not call this place a Hotel at all. I only ended up staying one night instead of my planned 1 week stay through Expedia. The room was dark, old and smelled like an attic. Yes the location was right in the heart of the downtown, but it was very noisy and felt like the window was wide open the whole night. The bathroom/shower are not in the rooms but instead shared down the hall. I went to hang up a shirt in the "closet" and the hanger/shelf broke. The price was fairly inexpensive, but when asked if I could be refunded for the remainder of the week, the manager refused saying my stay was non-refundable. I left the key and didn't come back. I would not recommend staying here.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Jason S

Reviewed January 27, 2013

I stayed here for 5 days in Dec 2012. The hotel is in a great location, literally right next to a metro station. The neighborhood is full of shops, coffee shops, restaurants, and a few grocery stores. The hotel itself is pretty nice: bathrooms are clean, rooms are a decent size--the in room fridge & the robes are nice touches. The breakfast is decent:cereal & milk, croissants, banana bread, fruit, tea/coffee/hot chocolate.

WARNING: If you book a "2 single bed" room, it may have bunk beds! We did that for the first 2 nights & ended up with rickety, squeaky bunk beds :( See pic!
Luckily we switched to a room with a double bed after 2 nights and it was very nice.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Gwyneth F
Reviewed October 23, 2012

Came up for an extended weekend back in March 2012, and found this hotel for a fairly good price. Located right next to the Mont-Royal metro stop, its really convenient to Downtown. Hotel is actually converted brownstone, managed by a Peruvian husband and wife. I am trilingual (Eng/Fr/Spa), so I never had an issue with front desk (both are proficient in all 3). You have to be buzzed up to the second floor, as the reception is on the second floor. Room was clean, simple (although the seat for the computer desk was broken on arrival, quickly recplaced) and had a great view of Mont-Royal Ave. Hotel offers small buffet-style breakfast, but if it doesn't suit your fancy, you have a coffee shop on first floor (Cafe Noir as of my last visit), as well as a plethora of eating options within a 3 block radius of the hotel (Crepes, poutine, maple syrup stand at Metro station).

Suggestion to you: Stay here if you plan on spending most of your time out and about Montreal, or if you are a college student looking for a cheap place to stay (like me). Staff is nice, room is bare-bones but adequate. Luxury-seekers: its not for you. I would stay again.

Room Tip: I had room 4. Was a tad small. Pay the 10 extra bucks for a much larger room (and larger bed)
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank mr207
Reviewed August 5, 2012 via mobile

We had a very late check in and the staff were very accommodating. They also added a cot for our son. Affordable and an excellent location by the metro station in a fun area of Montreal. The room was quaint and I liked having AC and a small fridge to keep water cool. Those looking for a high class experience would be disappointed but for a budget hotel I thought it fit the bill.

• Stayed: August 2012
3  Thank DianaJ340
Reviewed July 26, 2012

I booked this hotel for cheap price deal a day earlier. I was visiting Montreal. I went to hotel used bathroom while they were looking for reservation. Hotel was dirty. they found out I made mistake and booked hotel for Sept instead of July (default month was sept while I was trying to book the hotel). I went out and tried to get it fixed through booking.com. owner didn't want to change it for the nite since it was nonrefundable. I told them I was gonna pay extra to fix it for the night. owner replied that I could book another room for the night but he was not going to change the reservation or give any credit. I went to hotel to explain what happened they didn't open door for me to get in. Please do not stay in this hotel get better hotel for few extra dollar.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank suman_11
Reviewed July 26, 2012

The hotel was very nice, but what really made the trip were the staff! The concierge staff and bellhop staff were second to none! So friendly and they went out of their way to help us. It was centrally located and within 2 blocks of the subway station for easy access to most anything. I would recommend this hotel to others.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank SavvyTravelerIndiana
Reviewed July 11, 2012 via mobile

Room smelt like mildew. No bath tub or pool. Too many stairs not a good place if your pregnant. Walls to thin you can hear all the disturbing noises of the rooms next to you. Nasty stains everywhere. Service, location and food are good.

• Stayed: February 2012