“Inside it's not much...but it's in a great neighborhood”
Review of Les Studios Hotel

Les Studios Hotel
Ranked #123 of 163 Hotels in Montreal
Rogers, Arkansas, United States
“Inside it's not much...but it's in a great neighborhood”
Reviewed August 17, 2012

This is a good choice for someone looking to have a hostel-like stay but the convenience and security one's own (tiny) room. Knowing what else is available in Montreal, both on the lower and higher ends, no real complaints. You will have to pay about double to increase your comfort significantly, and the price is just a nudge above hostels where you'll be in rooms of 4 to 6.

The benefits are outside the tiny room: The fabulous Bixi bike rental system awaits just steps outside the main tower. Two Métro stations are just 5 minutes away. The area is in a beautiful part of Montréal, if you like to stay in authentic neighborhoods instead of sterile downtowns.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Beau409

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Reviewed August 8, 2012

It was so hot in the room and there's only 1 toilet per FLOOR and 2 showers. Not the mention that the bathrooms have no windows or vents so it's about 35 degrees in them making cold showers necessary unless you want to pass out. I'm ok with shared bathrooms but one toilet? what?! At one point there was no more toilet paper in our bathroom so we called them to let them know and 2 hours later - still no toilet paper. I asked the cleaning lady (who was friendly) for some TP but she didn't have any, why not?! Isn't that part of the job description?
We complained about the heat and the person at the front desk just shrugged and couldn't care less, she just went back to typing on her computer. Very disrespectful. Breakfast also looked terrible for $7.50. Never again Les Studios!

2 Thank Cenj
StudiosHotelManager, Hotel Manager at Les Studios Hotel, responded to this review, September 17, 2012
Dear Cenj,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us feedback on your recent stay at the Studios Hotel.

The Studios Hotel has common bathroom for some room types. There are two bathrooms per floor, one for women and one for men. This is making a total of two toilets and four showers for 10 rooms.

I am personally surprised about the toilet paper issue. We also have some at front desk if required. We are sincerely sorry about the inconveniences.

We hope you enjoyed your stay here in Montreal. Thank you again for your review.

Annie Passalacqua

Travelers are raving about these Montreal hotels

Reviewed August 8, 2012

Staying at Les Studios single room was like staying in a sauna with the additional smell of stale beer and food radiating through the hallway and room. I can honestly say that this was the worst accommodation I have ever had in any of the hostels I have stayed in over the years. For $50/night it is a disgrace to have people stay in rooms with no ventilation/AC and amongst a floor full of empty beer bottles and cans. The washroom was full of flies on the window and dirty enough that we did not even think of taking a shower. We stayed out until 6 am in order not to have to spend too much time in the room and then woke up 5 hours later with bites from either mosquitos or bed bugs, still not sure which one.

Room Tip: Do not stay here.
Reviewed August 7, 2012

If you want to sweat to death, get no sleep, share a bathroom with the whole floor, use half ply toilet paper that will definitely run out when you are in need, then also sweat to death after having a cold shower, than you should definitely stay at Les Studios (Universite de Montreal DORMS).

After asking to be moved to a different room (after I had gotten sick from the stuffiness and staleness of the room) they said they were fully booked, and they had no more fans left, didn't say sorry or offer to give us free breakfast or anything.

Spend the extra money and stay somewhere better if you want to have a good night sleep.

Room Tip: Stay elsewhere
Dear Michelle D,

In regards to your comment, I understand that our accommodation didn’t fit your needs and expectations. We are sincerely sorry about the inconveniences and we hope you had a great stay in Montreal.

The Studios Hotel presents a variety of room types for any budget. We have rooms with shared bathrooms or suite with private bathroom. The room’s space, comfort, facilities, design and rate are different accordingly to the room type you reserve.

I have well transmitted your comment about the ‘’stuffiness and staleness’’ of the room.

Thank you again for the review.

Plymouth NH
Reviewed July 21, 2012

The continental breakfast: stale bagels, luke warm milk & coffee, canned (ok bottled but not fresh) OJ. Skip it & save $6. Parking? Only 5 conveniently close spaces, the remaining hundreds of guests can park a 10 min walk away - which would be ok if free or maybe $3 per day, NOT $14! I knew about no A/C and shared baths- they should issue box fans, not the midget ones that come with a "deluxe" room. And cold drinks - the desk clerk gestured towards a soft drink machine which was totally sold out and probably had been all summer. She obviously didn't care! helpfully offered thst there were some places I could get a cold drink FIFTEEN minutes walk down the road. These people are clueless when it comes to service. No A/C is a real negative since the rooms have no cross ventilation. Cooll breezes outside tonite - stifling inside!

Room Tip: Take the week long pkg (if you can stand the heat) to get a reduced parking fee (unless you don'...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Dear Barry B,
Thank you for your review on your recent stay at the Studios Hotel.
Regarding the comment on the breakfast, we well received your note regarding the continental buffet. I transferred the information to our direct suppliers.
The Studios Hotel suggests the University of Montreal’s parking because there are not a lot of parking spaces available on street without a local license plate sticker. They are a maximum of approximately 5 spots without restrictions which are luckily located right in front of the building.
Our rooms do not have air conditioning except some of the suites. We provide a fan to increase the ventilation and your comfort.
Thank you again for taking the time to provide us feedback on your stay.

Regina
Reviewed July 16, 2012

The location can't be beat - close to two metro stations that will take you everywhere you need to go, and within walking distance to a pharmacy and other stores. It is in a relatively quiet neighbourhood and it is safe to walk around at night. My boyfriend and I never felt scared or in danger.

The room we stayed in was alright, it included a double bed, a desk, a sink and a fridge. They provided a towel and a facecloth for each of us. Over the week we were there they never changed our linens or towels once, which didn't bother us too badly because we brought our own travel towels and no one needs their sheets changed every day. One downside to this is that the rooms are not air conditioned, so prepare to sweat buckets. Our room was provided with a fan that was run all the time and we shut the curtains during the day to keep the sun out.

The continental breakfast is standard. Bagels, cereals, toast, fruit and juices. Go early or else you will be left with slim pickings. The common area that serves as a dining room for breakfast provides free wifi, so don't bother paying extra for internet when you can go downstairs and use it on the main floor for free.

The bathrooms are pretty clean, two showers/toilets per floor for both men and women. We had a very quiet floor so sleep came easily. Didn't see much staff around for the duration of our trip... Those we did see were pleasant and helpful with whatever we needed. The lack of room service might have been bothersome if we had a longer trip. We didn't stay in our room that much and we were only there for less than a week, so I imagine it would be annoying not to have linens changed or the room serviced after awhile.

All in all, Les Studios Hotels is not a place that makes me want to stand up and cheer, but you get a clean room, breakfast, great location and safe lodgings for a completely reasonable price.

Room Tip: Higher floors are cooler and quieter.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank no-substitute
Quebec City, Canada
Reviewed July 2, 2012

I just stayed here for the third time in the last four years. The first time I stayed in the basic single room. I was pleased with my stay as the room was located quite high up in the back of the building, it wasn't too hot despite the lack of air conditioning, and parking was free (weekend). The second time, I had the basic single room again, but it was located lower down on the street side. It was very hot in the room, there was street noise and I slept very poorly. Parking was still free. The metro station is nearby and I felt secure as a single female in this pleasant, very green neighbourhood near Mont-Royal. I appreciated being able to watch a little TV in one of the lounges on every second floor so I could wind down before going to bed.

As I tend to decide at the last minute to come to Montreal in the summer (I live three hours away), in the past, I had appreciated being able to reserve over the phone. However, on my third visit, I was unable to reserve a room. Two days before leaving, I called over and over, but either there was no answer or I was put on hold indefinitely. Finally I decided to reserve on the website, although they promise to confirm your reservation (or not) only within 48 hours. I left for Montreal before receiving confirmation of the reservation, hopeful that they would have room because this is a big building. If not, I would find other accommodation on arrival. Unfortunately, there was no room available.

Recently, I stayed at this university residence a third time. Fortunately, I was able to reserve with booking.com and got immediate confirmation. Otherwise, I would not have reserved again through their website. This time, I reserved the single superior room (5$ more) which is a bit larger, hoping it would be better ventilated. Once again the room was too hot and I slept poorly. I appreciated having a small fridge and sink in the room as I had brought some food with me. Unfortunately, the fridge was unplugged on my arrival. I was charged 14 $ a day for parking (stayed for 2 nights). This was very frustrating as the barriers were left up during the entire weekend. On Sunday morning I moved the car next to the front door to load my luggage and was unable to return to the parking area because it was filled by a group who were not required to pay. So I parked on the street, since it's free on Sundays (!!!).

Also, visitors can no longer watch TV in the lounge areas. So the second night, I paid 5.75 $ to get WiFi. After waiting 15 minutes in line to pay, the receptionist (very polite and at least trilingual) informed me that WiFi was only available in the ground floor hall - lounge area and not in the rooms. From reading reviews here, I have learned that, in fact, WiFi is free in this area (makes sense, didn't have to use the password). Only Internet using a cable is available in the rooms.

A large group arrived (French as a second language) on Saturday night, and each party (from all over Canada and abroad) had to wait a long time in line to register (half an hour or more) as there was only one, very competent, receptionist. Same thing Sunday morning. As I was using WiFi in the "lounge" Saturday night, I witnessed several people who were unhappy with the long waits. One Asian couple finally got to their room only to discover that the lock didn't work. By now it was 10 p.m. and they complained to the security guard that they were starving after their long trip.

In sum, this place has a lot of potential (as other reviews have mentioned) but I feel that 70 $ a night (superior solo room, parking, WiFi not in room) is a lot to pay for so little comfort. I hope that these comments are constructive.

To sum up,

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
StudiosHotelManager, Hotel Manager at Les Studios Hotel, responded to this review, July 17, 2012
Dear 130Urbana,

In regards to your review, we thank you for providing such useful information!

We are sincerely sorry about the inconveniences the day of your arrival. We hope you had a great stay here in Montreal.

Our rooms do not have air conditioning except some of the suites. We provide a fan to increase the ventilation and comfort.

Thank you for your great comments on our staff and location!