“Great for groups of travellers”
Review of Auberge L'Apero

Auberge L'Apero
Toronto, Canada
“Great for groups of travellers”
Reviewed December 15, 2011

If all you'll be using your room for is a place to crash after a long day this is the perfect place to stay. Our group of 6 had a whole dorm appointed to us after e-mailing them and experienced no problems upon arrival and during our stay. Lockers were provided and they were big enough to stow away our luggage for the day. I don't think we ever had time to check out the living space and kitchen area. This location is great because you can find nearly anything within a block of walking. The subway station, a grocery store, pharmacy, plenty of coffee shops and a McDonald's for the late night bite. The owner was very helpful in leading us to different areas of the city that we didn't have in our itinerary, making our experience much more enjoyable! The only downside was the room looked like it was still in repair.. I slept in the top bunk and could see the pipes in the ceiling but it shouldn't bother you when you're sleeping.

Overall, a great place to stay!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank Alex K

Families
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
  • Korean first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed September 25, 2011

I stayed in this hostel for a total of 4 nights at the end of August - 4 nights too long.

There were no staff to check me in on my arrival. I stood outside the door ringing the doorbell for 10 minutes before I noticed a tiny, ripped up sign, a metre from the door asking locked out guests to go down the road to the payphone to call to be let in. With the luggage I was carrying, this was a major hassle and I was certainly left unimpressed to have to do this. When the staff finally showed up to do the check in, he wasn't rude but was certainly unwelcoming in his attitude - gave me my sheets, showed me my bed and then that was it. I found out 3 days later that there was free breakfast (of sorts) available, as well as a phone in the lounge room that could be used to make local calls free of charge.

I had to move rooms once while I stayed there, but both beds I had were very sunken in the middle of the mattress. The kitchen was also a cramped and dirty affair, with plates both clean and dirty just left lying about the sink and not much by way of cooking utensils. The bathrooms were just hideous - in the days I was there I think I saw the staff clean them just once.

The staff were more interested in practicing their band music rather than do much hostel work - the hostel owner Paul was reluctant even to get up and open the laundry/store room door so I could retrieve my luggage one day when I needed to have it stored for a few days.

This kind of hostel seemed to appeal mostly to people who were in Montreal about to start uni, and were looking for longer term accomodation in the city. The only advantages of this hostel is that it is cheap and it is very close to Guy Concordia metro station. I was glad when I discovered another hostel down the road and very quickly transferred there. I won't be recommending Auberge L'Apero to anyone.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank YPanSydney_Australia
Perth, Australia
Reviewed September 12, 2011

Got a double room to enjoy the space and silence. Room was a good size - enough room for my pilates in the morning. Location - great as near to the Metro, downside above a buzzing street of cafes and bars - no drama with earplugs.
Having no kitchen facilities made it a bit hard and the greeny in me did not enjoy having to use the polystyrene cups/bowls & cutlery. Cardboard & bamboo would have been more eco )
Overall, a good back packers and would stay again.

Room Tip: Double room No1 - get ear plugs - nice big room just above hive of activity down below
Paris, France
Reviewed September 11, 2011

I stayed at auberge l'apéro Montréal. The bed is an air matress, very unstable, could't sleep. The room has not been cleaned during my stay, not even a day. No oven, no cooking facilities, no shelves, no windows int the kitchen and in the room. Waiting line for the bathroom. The owner has not told me I was in the other building so I dragged my bag for no reason except his lazyness. Someone was sleeping on an air matress on the floor in the living-room, so no living-room for the rest of the people.Apparently there is a class system going on; The airconditioning is deafening.. The internet is slow.

Room Tip: the main building, the rooms on Mackay
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed September 5, 2011

We spent 2 nights in one of the private rooms, which are above an Indian restaurant down the street from the main hostel building. My experience started off negatively due to the person at the front desk taking about a half hour to check us in while my husband was nervously waiting in the car in an illegal parking spot at night outside. It took a long time, the person had to look up the address of the other building, they told us the bed already had sheets-it didn’t-and forgot to give us the towels that we had deposited money for, so we had to go back to the main building for both. In the person’s defense, I think it was their third or fourth day. The building itself was fine, very secure with lots of locks. Only one bathroom between the private rooms, probably about 6 or 7 rooms, but fortunately there weren’t many people in them and we didn’t really have issues. Great location. The room was fine for a hostel, but the private rooms were more expensive, I think we might have been able to do better for what we paid.

Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Lyon, France
Reviewed September 5, 2011

On the plus side : the hostel is one block away from the Guy Concordia subway station, and a short walk away from the Crescent St nightlife area and a few other cool bars. They provide a fair amount of free food for breakfast (you have to help yourself), free and fast wireless. The hostel is fairly small (20 beds tops) so you get to meet plenty of people in the dorms or in the common areas. The manager, Paul, is a standout guy and they are happy to help you when it comes to picking bars, sightseeing stuff, etc.

However my experience was not entirely perfect as checking in took over twenty minutes (even though the reception lady was nice she was not very efficient). The surface of the hostel is real tiny : there is not much room and to get in you have to climb a series of narrow staircases that are pretty inconvenient if you carry a large suitcase. Because there is no door between dorms, so you only need one big snorer and it's game over ; the reception is also a few metres away from the dorms and it can get noisy late at night.

Overall a decent experience but I would advise families against patronizing this place that solely caters for the young and does it fairly well.

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed August 8, 2011

I stayed here Thursday to Monday beginning of August and was really happy with everything.
Was a little shocked when i saw it out front, but when inside it's relatively nice. I stayed in an all girls 6 bed (3 bunks) dorm, where we all had own lockers and the room was quite big. However, the room looked like it was still getting renovated with no actual renovations happening anytime soon.
There are 4 bathrooms on the first floor and three different bunk rooms. Upstairs there were more rooms and another bathroom. They provided cereal and milk for breakfast and you could also store food in the fridge as well as cook your own. The kitchen would have to be somewhat "dirty" as dishes piled up on one side of the sink after people washed them. It wasn't dirty as in bugs and cockroaches and food everywhere, it was more the feel and look of it. But apart from that, the rooms were clean and the bathrooms were cleaned daily.
The location was really centred. One block from the subway then two blocks the other way to the main bars and pubs.
This was my first time staying in a hostel and it was a great first experience. Met some really lovely people and was really happy with everything.
Would defferently stay here again

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo