“Huge misrepresentation”

Auberge L'Apero
Boston, Massachusetts
“Huge misrepresentation”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2011

I booked this hostel with 3 friends for the Jazz Festival. I relied on the reviews here and the hostel website. I am sorry to say that the "new improved" accommodations are not at all as described. Apparently, the hostel has recently acquired a second building, which they have billed as "deluxe" with private and semi-private rooms. But the site is very much under construction, with holes in the walls covered with fabric, rooms with not a hook or a shelf to place belongings, a food preparation area (won't call it a kitchen!) with no water (but a sign warning you to wash the dishes immediately or face a $5 fine!) and one bathroom for the entire site. (No extra sink or toilet...for 12 people.) Contrary to the pictures on the site, the rooms had only bunk beds and one room had air mattresses instead of regular mattresses.

We booked two "deluxe" twin rooms...paid the same price for both rooms. One room was fairly large, with a big sliding glass door and a balcony. (And no furniture but the bed...) The other was basically a closet with NO windows and one dim light on a shelf. We asked if there were any other rooms available, and were told no...but a room (with a window) stayed empty our entire stay. This "deluxe" site is on the 3rd floor with an Indian restaurant on the second floor. It apparently used to be an office, as the desks and shelves and lighting are all still in place and the industrial gray carpet is on the floor. The living room space could be cozy, but it was windowless and had only one very dim lamp. One of our rooms had a glass "French" door as an entrance, which was covered with a sheet tacked up on the door.

To the management: it is commendable that you want to branch out with "deluxe, semi-private" rooms. However, it would be really nice if you did more than shove a bunk bed into a room and stuck a table with a toaster and a microwave in a hallway. The space has potential, but before you rent it and label it "deluxe" you might want to finish the job of turning it into a place that is less like a construction site and more like a hostel. I am giving this place a poor review not for what it is, but for what it SAID it was. False advertising, big time.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
3 Thank SavvyFaire

Families
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
  • Korean first
quebec
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2011

Most uncomfortable bed i've ever slept in my life. I got a top bunk, and maybe it's just top bunks, it's been so long since i've slept in one i don't know, but it sagged so much in the middle it felt like sleeping in a pit i'd dug myself and the floor looked temting by comparison. so i didn't get much sleep but apart from that no complaints. I paid $20 a night and it was well-located, or as well as a place feasibly can be in a city like montreal; it was clean, the guy at the front desk was friendly and helpful and though i didn't think much of the breakfast there was enough basics on offer that you could set yourself up fairly well for the day. Lockers provided, which is excellent, 50c for a towel, bedding included, 24hr entry system... Super really, just a pity about the bed. Maybe i got a dud and the rest were fine. Find out for yourself, stay there and don't forget it's not a hotel.

• Stayed May 2011
Nuevo Vallarta, Mexico
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 5, 2011

I picked this hostel due to the comments on TA and I wasn´t dissapointed. I stayed 3 nights... close to everything. Clean beds, clean bathrooms. I was worried about it being chilly in the dorm room at night as it was -20 on average when I was there but it was a warm sauna in the room... which was great!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2011

I needed a hostel in Montréal for New Year's Eve. I already went to the HI Hostel and was not entirely satisfied with it (expensive for what you get).
After a quick research, I picked up l'Auberge Apéro as it didn't have any bad review. It was the best choice I could ever make.

It's a small and cozy hostel, with 16 beds so great opportunity to meet and get to know people. The location is great, close to the Guy-Concordia subway station and next to rue Sainte-Catherine (lots of pubs, restaurants) and 2 blocks away from rue Crescent (for clubbers).
It's clean, the beds are quite new and comfortable.

You get a simple but free breakfast :)

Paul, the manager, is a very nice guy.
The only negative point is that there is a code for the front door. So when you check-in, you have to ring at the door and you may wait for a while. But you can call him and he will come right away.

If you need a hostel in Montréal, don't even hesitate, pick this one !

• Stayed January 2011, traveled solo
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2010

I left my heart at Auberge L’Apero! Really, it made my stay in Montreal such a pleasure. Paul, the owner, is really such a great guy and very knowledgeable. He really showed me some great offbeat places that I would've never thought to see in Montreal! It made my stay very memorable. The hostel itself is a bit on the smaller size which was really quite cozy—felt like I was staying at a friend’s. It was easy to meet people in the kitchen or in the common room area, and free breakfast was a happy sight in the morning. I was excited to see that they carried tea and soymilk—two of my favorite things! And I practically lived off the peanut butter (maybe even cheated a little to that one breakfast a day rule ... shh, don't tell). It was nice that they had a free bin in which people left unneeded items, and I totally donated a bag of Oreos when I realized how inconvenient they were to stuff in my bag. :) I'm very particular about the place in which I stay and the bunk beds were comfortable and clean. There were no bright lights in the room or anything distracting, so I slept wonderfully. There were lockers in the room with keys supplied, so I could store my things without worrying. Some people opted to leave their stuff in the room unattended and they never had problems. The bathrooms were nicer than expected and I never had to wait in line for him though it was also due to good judgment in timing. They weren't at all sterile, hospital-like, but instead very inviting, still very clean. The location was wonderful and a lot closer to the metro than I had expected. Definitely a plus! I was afraid of my friend choosing a hostel in the middle of nowhere, where we had to trek miles before the closest subway stop or in a very unexciting area, but we were in middle of a lot of what was to be seen in Montreal. The area seemed very safe and only a few blocks away from the Museum of Fine Arts. And yay for wireless internet! It definitely created some interest at the hostel. There is only one computer (which I never had to fight for, luckily), but I was glad to just sit in the common room, hanging out with some people, and browse for places to see in the area. Paul also has a nice assortment of pamphlets in the office, if anyone is interested. My friend *ahem* borrowed *ahem* one of the books regarding lovely restaurants (we gave it back, don't worry), and it was so much fun to peruse while salivating about Montreal's great cuisine! I can't help but highly recommend this place! And I know for sure that I'll be staying here next time I'm in the city (which hopefully will be soon!).

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank mlle12
New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2010

A work in progress. Facilities could use a bit of work but the new bathrooms should make a big difference (feels a bit like a building site at the moment). Free breakfast is a nice touch and certainly much better than some I've had; kitchen is pretty well equipped though cramped.

Dorms have nice high ceilings and lockers plenty big enough for a full backpack. Shame you can't pick your dormmates!

Location wasn't the most convenient for what I wanted and next time I'll stay closer to the old town but it's great if you want the student vibe.

• Stayed September 2010
1 Thank glenclova
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2010

Stayed in for 2 nights. The hostel has a great location, steps from metro station and downtown. Good and fair rate. It is extremely clean and organized. Nice breakfast, friendly environment and great host - Paul makes everything easier.
In the end, it turns out that you fell like staying in your mate's apartment for the weekend.
Thank you for the great time there!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with friends