Auberge L'Apero
$273
$259
Orbitz.com
  • Restaurant
All reviewsfree breakfastcommon roomfew blocksclean roomsmetro stationvisit montrealhostelbunkbedsfridgedowntowncatherineskeyluxurylinensmcgill
Reviewed February 5, 2011

I picked this hostel due to the comments on TA and I wasn´t dissapointed. I stayed 3 nights... close to everything. Clean beds, clean bathrooms. I was worried about it being chilly in the dorm room at night as it was -20 on average when I was there but it was a warm sauna in the room... which was great!

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed January 11, 2011

I needed a hostel in Montréal for New Year's Eve. I already went to the HI Hostel and was not entirely satisfied with it (expensive for what you get).
After a quick research, I picked up l'Auberge Apéro as it didn't have any bad review. It was the best choice I could ever make.

It's a small and cozy hostel, with 16 beds so great opportunity to meet and get to know people. The location is great, close to the Guy-Concordia subway station and next to rue Sainte-Catherine (lots of pubs, restaurants) and 2 blocks away from rue Crescent (for clubbers).
It's clean, the beds are quite new and comfortable.

You get a simple but free breakfast :)

Paul, the manager, is a very nice guy.
The only negative point is that there is a code for the front door. So when you check-in, you have to ring at the door and you may wait for a while. But you can call him and he will come right away.

If you need a hostel in Montréal, don't even hesitate, pick this one !

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed September 19, 2010

I left my heart at Auberge L’Apero! Really, it made my stay in Montreal such a pleasure. Paul, the owner, is really such a great guy and very knowledgeable. He really showed me some great offbeat places that I would've never thought to see in Montreal! It made my stay very memorable. The hostel itself is a bit on the smaller size which was really quite cozy—felt like I was staying at a friend’s. It was easy to meet people in the kitchen or in the common room area, and free breakfast was a happy sight in the morning. I was excited to see that they carried tea and soymilk—two of my favorite things! And I practically lived off the peanut butter (maybe even cheated a little to that one breakfast a day rule ... shh, don't tell). It was nice that they had a free bin in which people left unneeded items, and I totally donated a bag of Oreos when I realized how inconvenient they were to stuff in my bag. :) I'm very particular about the place in which I stay and the bunk beds were comfortable and clean. There were no bright lights in the room or anything distracting, so I slept wonderfully. There were lockers in the room with keys supplied, so I could store my things without worrying. Some people opted to leave their stuff in the room unattended and they never had problems. The bathrooms were nicer than expected and I never had to wait in line for him though it was also due to good judgment in timing. They weren't at all sterile, hospital-like, but instead very inviting, still very clean. The location was wonderful and a lot closer to the metro than I had expected. Definitely a plus! I was afraid of my friend choosing a hostel in the middle of nowhere, where we had to trek miles before the closest subway stop or in a very unexciting area, but we were in middle of a lot of what was to be seen in Montreal. The area seemed very safe and only a few blocks away from the Museum of Fine Arts. And yay for wireless internet! It definitely created some interest at the hostel. There is only one computer (which I never had to fight for, luckily), but I was glad to just sit in the common room, hanging out with some people, and browse for places to see in the area. Paul also has a nice assortment of pamphlets in the office, if anyone is interested. My friend *ahem* borrowed *ahem* one of the books regarding lovely restaurants (we gave it back, don't worry), and it was so much fun to peruse while salivating about Montreal's great cuisine! I can't help but highly recommend this place! And I know for sure that I'll be staying here next time I'm in the city (which hopefully will be soon!).

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank mlle12
Reviewed September 12, 2010

A work in progress. Facilities could use a bit of work but the new bathrooms should make a big difference (feels a bit like a building site at the moment). Free breakfast is a nice touch and certainly much better than some I've had; kitchen is pretty well equipped though cramped.

Dorms have nice high ceilings and lockers plenty big enough for a full backpack. Shame you can't pick your dormmates!

Location wasn't the most convenient for what I wanted and next time I'll stay closer to the old town but it's great if you want the student vibe.

• Stayed: September 2010
1  Thank glenclova
Reviewed June 10, 2010

Stayed in for 2 nights. The hostel has a great location, steps from metro station and downtown. Good and fair rate. It is extremely clean and organized. Nice breakfast, friendly environment and great host - Paul makes everything easier.
In the end, it turns out that you fell like staying in your mate's apartment for the weekend.
Thank you for the great time there!

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with friends