“Horrible massage and Creepy environment”

Scandinave Spa Vieux-Montreal
Ranked #3 of 89 Spas & Wellness in Montreal
More attraction details
Owner description: Unwind with the scandinavian baths and massages experience and the thermotherapy : sauna, hydrojets bath, and cold bath, steam bath, relaxation areas - Juice bar - Share your experience by offering gift cards
Reviewed December 17, 2012

What a through disappointment. I booked a therapeutic massage and baths package. The worst massage I've ever had which consisted of the "therapist" flapping my arms up and down, with the occasional haphazard stretching of my muscles. People say they like this place but I found it creepy with people laying on beds and couches. It was more of a pick up place than a spa with virtually no privacy. The water/pool area was wall to wall people. I found the environment to be crowded, message and unsafe. Zero relaxation.

6  Thank Kinvara_12
Spa-scandinave, Guest Relations Manager at Scandinave Spa Vieux-Montreal, responded to this reviewResponded December 18, 2012

Hi Kinvara_12,

Thank you very much for your review and comments. I am sorry to see that you haven't enjoyed the Baths and Massage experience. Your comment is really important to us, so I invite you to contact Marie Noel Cadieux, massotherapy supervisor, at 514 288 2009 ext 225 in order to explain her what was wrong in your massage.

Regarding, the bath area, it is an open space with only candle lights, everything is done in the spa to get away from Montreal's stress, and we welcome our guests in order to allow them to relax in their own wellness bubble and in a silent environment. We control the number of guests we welcome at the same time, and that's true on week ends we are a bit more crowded.

I wish you will be willing to give us another try on a regular day. Once again, thank you for taking the time to send us your feedback !

Relaxing regards,

Reviewed November 13, 2012

I went for the first time for a bath and Swedish massage package on Sunday, November 11 and was so thrilled and I returned the next day for a hot stone massage and bath. I'd move in if I could! It was a real treat: the excellent helpful staff made sure a cab was waiting for me when I was ready to leave, and the licensed massage therapists worked with expertise on my rotator cuff injury. The baths themselves offer a hot jacuzzi type pool, steam room, dry sauna, a dark 'stress free' room and a relaxation area. The smoothies and organic snacks keep you going and are reasonably priced. You pay when you're ready to leave, so it's very convenient. The spa has a no talking rule that makes it even more peaceful. Go to soothe your spirit and do your body good! Everything that you need is provided: fully equipped change room, bathrobe, towels, sandals, locker, water, hot mint tea. Remember to bring your bathing suit.

Spa-scandinave, Guest Relations Manager at Scandinave Spa Vieux-Montreal, responded to this reviewResponded November 16, 2012

Hi Saloni N,

Waw you came twice in two days ! Thank you for your kind review !! Our silence policy will always allow you to relax far away from the daily stress !

à bientôt au Scandinave Les Bains Old Montréal

Reviewed November 12, 2012

My husband and I made reservations in advance for a 1 hour swedish massage and 3 hour use of baths and spa for a fall special of $92.00 each (an unbelievable bargain considering a basic massage at home costs that much!). After walking for 5 hours around Montreal that day we were both looking forward to enjoying our time there. We had side by side massages (Veronique had magic hands!) and then took their advice and did 4 cycles of 10-15 minutes of hot and 10 seconds of cold. The eucalyptus steam room was our favorite. We found a small private room towards the end of the day to relax in and my husband was so comfortable he fell asleep! If we had a place like this in the states I would go every month. I did not want to leave! Staff was very friendly and even remembered it was our 25th wedding anniversary when we arrived. Don't miss this gem!

1  Thank clarkbar1

Hi cindy c,

Thank you so much for your review ! We are glad you have enjoyed your experience ! Happy 25th anniversary again and we hope to welcome you on your next Montreal stay !

Reviewed October 22, 2012

Having never been to a spa like this, I figured I would try it out. The front desk staff was extremely helpful. I booked a 60 minute Swedish massage on a rainy Sunday evening, but that also gave me access to the other areas of the spa. The waterfall pool was relaxing... the water falling on my shoulders felt like a gentle back rub. The eucalyptus room was sublime; it was not too hot nor did it smell too strongly of Eucalyptus... It was perfect to go inside and just do some deep breathing. The massage was amazing and I think I nodded off a couple of times. (Louis is amazing!) I have not felt this relaxed in weeks. I reluctantly left after 4 bliss-filled hours and would highly recommend it to anyone in Montreal. (In fact, I know a couple of my coworkers have been since I've gone... I haven't stopped talking about it)

Spa-scandinave, Guest Relations Manager at Scandinave Spa Vieux-Montreal, responded to this reviewResponded October 24, 2012

Hi Ozzie_Bear2012,

Thank you very much for your review ! The guest service is our priority and our aim is to offer a relaxation area as soon as you are checking in at the reception ! Next time you visit us, do not hesitate to request for Louis !

We hope to welcome you soon

Reviewed October 20, 2012

On a dark, rainy day, while visiting downtown Montreal, Scandinave proved to be the perfect place to while away a lazy afternoon. We arrived just before 3 PM on a Friday, on a whim and without a reservation, and were glad to be accommodated. For $70, I got to spend three hours enjoying the amenities, including the rental of a thick, hooded robe, spa slippers, and two (exchangeable) towels. The ladies' changing room was bright and clean with an assigned locker that operates on a simple silicon bracelet. It is well-stocked with essentials (e.g., hairdryers, flat irons, Q-tips, cotton balls, etc.) and the room's three shower stalls each feature shower gel, shampoo and conditioner dispensers. Stepping out into the co-ed spa area, the lighting is dim and the air is thick with moisture. The sound of cascading water drowns out everything else. To the far left is a hot pool with an underwater bench that features jets and a heavy waterfall curtain along one side. Two walls are frosted windows allowing in natural light on sunny days. The faint shadows of passing cars are the only reminder of the outside world. In one corner of the large hot tub there is a separate cold plunge pool that was seemingly frigid on my visit. I really had to force myself to descend the short, curved staircase for a quick dip, but I am sure that my skin appreciated my efforts! Beyond the hot pool/cold tub is a long, heated bench and a free-standing shower stall with a rainforest head above, offering a cool stream of falling water as another refreshing option. Beyond that is the eucalyptus steam room, which is rounded, with three sets of ascending benches. The smell of the eucalyptus was not as strong as in some other spas that I have visited, which I actually prefer. And the temperature was hot but comfortable enough to linger in long enough to do some deep-breathing. The space was fairly dark, making it difficult to see any other people in the room, particularly when the fresh steam was being piped in every few minutes and before it started to dissipate a bit. A very cozy feeling! The Finnish dry sauna felt much hotter to me. It also had dim lighting and was super silent on my few, short visits. Off to the right is a lounging area with normal indoor lighting, and a juice bar where guests can purchase light snacks (e.g., dried fruit and nuts, slices of fruit loaf) and smoothie-type drinks. On the floor, there are several low, bean-bag "mattresses", large enough for couples to share, and some long, sofa-like seating, as well as a few sculpted plastic chairs lined up along the perimeter. Through a door in the rear of the space is a separate "zero stress zone" that features low lighting and soothing music (i.e., no cascading water sounds!) and several more of the big bean-bag loungers with matching footstools. I found that I spent a lot of time in that space reading from my e-book, wrapped in my cozy robe, after each cycle of bathing. It seemed like a pleasant perfumed scent was purposefully vented through the room a few times during my visit, making my stay all the more enjoyable. It was subtle, but I don't think that I imagined it! On a Friday afternoon, the spa was busy but not overly so. At least twice I was completely alone in the hot pool and there were never more than four or five people in the steam room or dry sauna with me, so there was plenty of space to just relax without feeling crowded. I didn't have the chance to try the spa's massage services, but there were some enticing specials on offer that might draw me back on my next visit to the city this winter. I still think that I prefer similar-type spas that offer at least some outdoor elements, but Scandinave was undeniably a great way to get out of the rain on a cool, fall afternoon to just relax and forget all about the outside world.

2  Thank Anne K
Spa-scandinave, Guest Relations Manager at Scandinave Spa Vieux-Montreal, responded to this reviewResponded October 22, 2012

Hi AnneK,

I have on word : waw ! Thank you for taking time to talk about your experience ! It s amazing how you have noticed everything. We pay attention to all details as you could see and it is our aim to offer a very relaxing environment with everything our guests need.

That's true, as it is an indoor spa for people who are used to go outside, it is a big difference. I am glad you have enjoyed it !

We hope to welcome you soon !