“Chefs Opinion”

Cuisines: French
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: Le Plateau Mont-Royal
Description: Perfect balance between french fine food and american plentiness. Good variety of natural wines.
Reviewed May 29, 2012

Went to La Salle for dinner with 6 people and I must admit I was very impressed. Great service, not over bearing but attentive. I am a Chef and loved the seasonal menu offerings, food was very good, flavour profiles were bang on, seasoning was perfect, presentation clean and nice. I ordered 8 entrees to share with my wife so I could enjoy much of the menu and to be honest I enjoyed each one differently. the Charcuterie at $17.00 was huge in portion and their house cured meats were delicious. We ordered 2 bottles of red wine that I have never heard of that were both very good. After our meal they surprised us with grappa shots and you know what that last little touch made our night and is the reason I write this review.

Go there on a date or with friends you won’t be disappointed. The mains looked great but I totally recommend sharing every entree. Thank you to the staff there, I've eaten at all the Montreal hot spots and this is in the lead for me.

Reviewed May 23, 2012

If I were rating La Salle a Manger only on food, I'd give it a 3.5 out of 5. The food is good but not great. Even though it's not a large establishment, its menu is varied enough that everyone in our party of 10 was able to find something they really enjoyed—even our vegan friend.

The extra 0.5 star rating is for the impeccable service we received. We were a party of 10 and typically, at least in Toronto where we are from, it's difficult to find a small, non-chain restaurant that welcomes groups like ours. They had our table ready upon our arrival. Drinks, appetizers and mains all came out at a reasonable time and the atmosphere is jovial and casual.

It was my second time at La Salle a Manger. Previously, we were a party of 5. I'd recommend this for a group of friends, but it's too loud for an intimate dinner if you're looking for something romantic.

1  Thank TOfoodie80
Reviewed March 9, 2012

this has to be one of the best restaurants we have been to in a long time......the food, the service, the ambiance were all perfect...After a long journey ...13hour drive we settled in to this restaurant and were treated like royalty. The food was decadently rich, delicious and exquisite. Can't stop thinking of how delectable everything was. We all tried each others entrees and they all were amazing...the rabbit was delicious, the cassoulet was terrific, the papardelle were melt in your mouth scrumptious.

Reviewed January 15, 2012

I was meeting here with a friend of mine and a potential business contact. The venue itself is quite trendy, located on Mont-Royal street, in the heart of the Plateau. High ceilings, minimalist decor, vintage bars, and staff that had everything of the hipster crowd, including the attitude.

Menu options are limited, but somewhat original. A selection of cold and hot appetizers, some tapas-like dishes you can share, and main dishes that don't stand out on paper, but that are actually quite good.

Wine menu is OK, not too extensive, but with enough selection to answer most palates. In particular if you are fan of New World wines (USA, in particular).

Reviewed January 14, 2012

I knew of La Salle a Manger through another place that I frequent called Reservoir. They are owned by the same people, and it is easy to tell the similarities through the semi-industrial, yet cozy and vintage look they both have.

We were three people, got seated for our reservation right away, even though it was a crowded Friday evening. Once we got served their doughy and yummy mix of bread selection, we decided to make a mix of dishes in the middle. Unfortunately they were out of two out of the three appetizers we wished for. We ended up getting a Beet Salad, Pork Chop, and the Charcuterie Platter; the first two were absolutely amazing, the third was sub-par. As for mains, we had the Salmon, Mac & Cheese, and Fish & Chips; they were all well prepared with rich side dishes.

The waiter certainly meant well and did some good recommendations, we had ordered one too many appetizers and he pointed out that would be too much for our party. Though in general, he was completely out of it, and seemed concerned in general... He kept on giving us iffy looks and puppy eyes when we did not complete our order and told him we would order in two parties. Then when one friend's beer came warmer than expected, he said that is the temperature that they always served beer in and it was never an issue for anyone instead of trying to come up with a solution immediately. Then we advised him to put it in the freezer and he forgot it for half an hour until we reminded him of it... So to say the least, he was bewitched, bothered, and bewildered, but all in all a very nice guy.

I would recommend the place, it has a tasty menu and a stylish decor.