“I've loved in apartments that weren't as large” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Montreal Airport

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Montreal Airport
Ranked #61 of 164 Hotels in Montreal
Burlington
“I've loved in apartments that weren't as large”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2010

We were in Montreal for a much needed weekend getaway. We booked a Merchant's Villa suite. I'm serious when I say I've lived in apartments that weren't as large! I don't know the square footage but it was more than comfortable enough for 3 adults.

The hotel was booked solid (a wedding or wedding-related event was taking place) but we were able to check in with no delay. The staff was courteous, efficient and very accommodating.

The Merchant's Villa suite is as tastefully decorated as the pictures imply, with attractive artwork on the walls, a sleek dining room table with two chairs, a (very) small desk area, sofa (sofabed) and ottoman in the livingroom and a french door that leads to the king bed bedroom. Each room has its own flat panel TV and gets many HD channels. The entire hotel, including the rooms, is wi-fi enabled. Each room had its own air conditioning unit and they were quite efficient (although somewhat loud). The Merchant's Villa suite also includes its own private balcony (although the view leaves a lot to be desired).

The bathroom is very roomy and modern. It includes both a tub-shower AND a walk-in dedicated glass and tile shower stall.

There is a kitchenette area which includes a breakfast bar (but no chair or stool), microwave, coffeemaker, mini-fridge and sink. It was not stocked, however. It would have been nice to have a few paper towels and disposable plates and utensils bundled up in individual packets. I don't think there was even a bottle of water.

Now for the downside: location, location, location. Oy!

As an airport hotel, one would not expect to be in or even near downtown. If you're looking for a walking hotel or one that's close to all the action or the sights, this isn't the place for you. We knew that when we booked and we were fine with it. It is in a light industrial area.

The bad part is the hotel is on the 520, which is probably one of the most horribly designed roads I've ever encountered. Ever. I haven't been to much of Montreal but I can't imagine a worse area to drive around than the 520 and its surrounds. It is horribly, horribly designed. It is the poster-child for bad road design. The 520 is a limited access roadway with a solid barrier median and one-way "service" roads on either side. The service roads go in the same direction as the side of the highway they are on, so they really don't buy you much. There are very few opportunities to go either over or under the 520 and even when you find one, you may not be able to turn onto it because the side roads have minds of their own and may not necessarily lead back to the service roads. Basically when you're on one side of the 520, it is darn near impossible to get to the other side. Even the locals agree the 520 is a VERY poorly designed road.

Maps don't/can't convey how bad this road is. I looked at a paper map, my GPS, Yahoo maps and Google maps. I think the mapmakers just gave up on this one. Go on, take a look, I'll wait.

Sadly, from the hotel, one MUST drive to get to... well, to get to anything. As an Express hotel, they are not permitted to have a restaurant, so guests must either venture out on their own, order delivery (some really sad delivery choices) or bring something in. How I wish we'd known of the hotel's shuttle service; they will shuttle you to and from local restaurants! I didn't find that out about that until we checked out. I mentioned to the desk clerk how bad the driving was and she said, "Oh no!!! You should have asked for the shuttle!!!" They REALLY should play up that feature and tell guests as soon as they check in! We know for next time. And I'm sure there will be a next time.

Other than the 520, however, we have only tiny complaints. Although the hotel is only two years old, our suite was already showing a few signs of wear. I don't know what people have done in this room (I probably don't want to know) but there were many, many patches in the walls. We know because the touch-up paint didn't quite match the original. So, we had a room with cream colored walls with pinkish polka dots scattered throughout. The suite had wood floors (not sure, but i think it was laminate). We love wood floors (very classy) but it might have been nice to have small area rugs at bedside (non-skid, of course).

Overall, it was a delightful experience (520 aside -- have I mentioned how bad that road is?), and we'd definitely recommend this hotel to others.

• Stayed August 2010
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank TinaTravelsAgain

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
Adelaide, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2010

The staff were very helpful and the room was great. Breakfast was a buffet with lots of choices and restocked continuously. Location was convenient coming from the airport but it's a fair way from the city. Driving to a restaurant for a meal was a bit of a challenge as many nearby were closed, and being on a service road for the autoroute meant driving a long way before it was possible to turn around to get back to the hotel. The hotel did have some frozen meals for sale but these were not very appetising and a touch expensive. It is a shame that a hotel of this standard doesn't have a restaurant on the premises. The car park was not undercover, but it was secure as there was exit only with the room key (and it was free).

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank beaver055
Hod Hasharon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2010

We stayed here because our travel partners had one night only and had to fly out of Montreal the following day. We used the hotel also for Montreal sightseeing - It is about 30 minutes by car to downtown Montreal. The hotel was great. Very clean and roomy accommodations, excellent breakfast, nice staff. If you have a car, sometimes it is a good idea to stay out of town and get much better value for your money. Highly recommended.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Shaked007
Calgary, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2010

The staff was polite but only marginally helpful. Cleaning fell short. I had to look under the bed for something I dropped and it was DISCUSTING how filthy it was. I asked for it to be cleaned for 3 days and it never was. Our group (as we had 3 rooms) asked for either towels or blankest that where never brought. There where No appropriate TV channels or movies available for young children. The beds and pillows where very comfortable and the room had a Refrigerator and Microwave so that was very nice. The pool was nice. The location was excellent. The breakfast was fair.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank LLCalgary
Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2010

I arrived to the airport and called the hotel to ask about the shuttle. I don't know if it is a regular shuttle, but it was there in ten minutes.
Check in was fairly quick, although the front desk staff kept having to answer the phone, it was a very very busy weekend (race weekend) so that didn't bother me.
my room overlooked the front of the hotel, almost directly above the pool (except higher up). the road was very noised and woke me up all night.
the room was spacious and clean with a fridge, coffee maker and microwave.
I ordered delivery from 241 pizza, my burger was half raw (nothing to do with the hotel).
breakfast looked great. I just grabbed and apple and was on my way.
I'd stay here again with no doubt, but I would ask for a room as far away from the corner of the hotel as the pool.
thanks for a great place to stay...wish I would have slept better despite the premium bed.
i'll be back.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Drakestar
New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2010

The Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Montreal was perfect for a recent 2 day jaunt into Montreal. I have no complaints. There was a large group (kids hockey teams, I think) staying in the hotel, but our service was in no way negatively impacted. We had a Junior Suite and felt very comfortable. The combination of good A/C, 2 flat screens and the hardwood floors really helped us feel right at home. Breakfast included in our rate was a very nice touch. From this visit I have nothing negative to report.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank joellowsky
Washington, DC
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2010

Usually the info on this website is pretty spot on in terms of honest opinions about a particular property and I have seldom been disappointed. But, this time I have to say that this place is way overrated. Like I said in the title, it's OK, but it ain't ALL THAT! To add insult to injury, I had previously booked the Aloft but after reading some of the reviews here, I cancelled and switched and I can't tell you how I'm kicking myself!

First of all, the pictures on the website are much better than the actual appearance of the rooms and the general features of the hotel. But, the good thing is that it's clean, the service has been good thusfar and it's close to the airport, which will be a plus since we have an early flight out. Thank goodness it's only for a couple days because if it was any longer, I'd check out and move tomorrow!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank romadaro
AlexSG, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Montreal Airport, responded to this review, June 4, 2010
Sir,

As always, we greatly appreciate all feedback from our valued customers. From what you wrote, it seems as if your brief stay at our hotel was an overwhelmingly positive one—something which we take great pride in. Unfortunately, perhaps you did not experience to see the full extent of our team driven service culture. Had you challenged our staff to provide "ALL THAT", I promise you we would have done our very best to provide you with exactly "THAT" and more. Anything less would have been a failure on our part. Thank you once again for choosing our hotel and we look forward to seeing you gain hopefully in the near future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Montreal
Dorval / Airport / Train Station
Novotel Montreal Aeroport
#67 of 164 in Montreal
Comfort Inn Aeroport
#6 of 7 in Dorval

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Montreal Airport? Share your experiences!