We were in Montreal for a much needed weekend getaway. We booked a Merchant's Villa suite. I'm serious when I say I've lived in apartments that weren't as large! I don't know the square footage but it was more than comfortable enough for 3 adults.
The hotel was booked solid (a wedding or wedding-related event was taking place) but we were able to check in with no delay. The staff was courteous, efficient and very accommodating.
The Merchant's Villa suite is as tastefully decorated as the pictures imply, with attractive artwork on the walls, a sleek dining room table with two chairs, a (very) small desk area, sofa (sofabed) and ottoman in the livingroom and a french door that leads to the king bed bedroom. Each room has its own flat panel TV and gets many HD channels. The entire hotel, including the rooms, is wi-fi enabled. Each room had its own air conditioning unit and they were quite efficient (although somewhat loud). The Merchant's Villa suite also includes its own private balcony (although the view leaves a lot to be desired).
The bathroom is very roomy and modern. It includes both a tub-shower AND a walk-in dedicated glass and tile shower stall.
There is a kitchenette area which includes a breakfast bar (but no chair or stool), microwave, coffeemaker, mini-fridge and sink. It was not stocked, however. It would have been nice to have a few paper towels and disposable plates and utensils bundled up in individual packets. I don't think there was even a bottle of water.
Now for the downside: location, location, location. Oy!
As an airport hotel, one would not expect to be in or even near downtown. If you're looking for a walking hotel or one that's close to all the action or the sights, this isn't the place for you. We knew that when we booked and we were fine with it. It is in a light industrial area.
The bad part is the hotel is on the 520, which is probably one of the most horribly designed roads I've ever encountered. Ever. I haven't been to much of Montreal but I can't imagine a worse area to drive around than the 520 and its surrounds. It is horribly, horribly designed. It is the poster-child for bad road design. The 520 is a limited access roadway with a solid barrier median and one-way "service" roads on either side. The service roads go in the same direction as the side of the highway they are on, so they really don't buy you much. There are very few opportunities to go either over or under the 520 and even when you find one, you may not be able to turn onto it because the side roads have minds of their own and may not necessarily lead back to the service roads. Basically when you're on one side of the 520, it is darn near impossible to get to the other side. Even the locals agree the 520 is a VERY poorly designed road.
Maps don't/can't convey how bad this road is. I looked at a paper map, my GPS, Yahoo maps and Google maps. I think the mapmakers just gave up on this one. Go on, take a look, I'll wait.
Sadly, from the hotel, one MUST drive to get to... well, to get to anything. As an Express hotel, they are not permitted to have a restaurant, so guests must either venture out on their own, order delivery (some really sad delivery choices) or bring something in. How I wish we'd known of the hotel's shuttle service; they will shuttle you to and from local restaurants! I didn't find that out about that until we checked out. I mentioned to the desk clerk how bad the driving was and she said, "Oh no!!! You should have asked for the shuttle!!!" They REALLY should play up that feature and tell guests as soon as they check in! We know for next time. And I'm sure there will be a next time.
Other than the 520, however, we have only tiny complaints. Although the hotel is only two years old, our suite was already showing a few signs of wear. I don't know what people have done in this room (I probably don't want to know) but there were many, many patches in the walls. We know because the touch-up paint didn't quite match the original. So, we had a room with cream colored walls with pinkish polka dots scattered throughout. The suite had wood floors (not sure, but i think it was laminate). We love wood floors (very classy) but it might have been nice to have small area rugs at bedside (non-skid, of course).
Overall, it was a delightful experience (520 aside -- have I mentioned how bad that road is?), and we'd definitely recommend this hotel to others.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Centrally located in the West Island of Montreal Quebec, our hotel is only 5 minutes from Dorval-Pierre-Elliott Trudeau International Airport (YUL).Enjoy a comfortable stay in a 100% non-smoking environment close to Montreal's most interesting attractions and the area's most prominent businesses.Take advantage of our free WiFi high-speed Internet access, hot breakfast buffet and 24hr airport shuttle service. Enjoy our spacious rooms and over-sized suites all with wood floors, microwave, mini-fridge, coffee maker and high definition (HD) signal viewable on 32" and 40" LCD TVs.Situated near Fairview, Rockland and Cote-Vertu Shopping Centres and only 8 km from the famous Lachine Canal National Historic Site, our hotel allows guests to explore Montreal's finest shops, restaurants and museums in comfort and style.Business travelers appreciate our location at the Montreal Airport while adjacent to major corporations such as Bombardier, Rolls Royce, CAE and Novartis. Perfect for business meetings or conferences, our hotel offers five meeting rooms with state-of-the-art audio/visual equipment.As you plan your next trip to the Montreal area, we invite you to experience our hotel's exceptional service at an unbeatable value. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, IHG, Hotels.com and Priceline so you can book your Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Montreal Airport reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Holiday Inn Express Hotel And Suites Montreal Airport
- Holiday Inn Express Montreal
- Holiday Inn Montreal