“Mixed feelings about this restaurant...”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of L'Orignal

L'Orignal
Reserve with OpenTable
L'Orignal is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #210 of 5,679 Restaurants in Montreal
Cuisines: Canadian
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Bar scene, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Vieux-Montreal (Old Montreal)
Cross street: Notre Dame
Transit: Were between stations McGill and Place D'Armes
Toronto, Canada
“Mixed feelings about this restaurant...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2013

Some things about this restaurant were really good and deserving of a 4 star rating... but there were a few flaws that knock it back to average.

The vichyssoise oddly enough had pickle in it - which the menu described as a garnish but was more predominant than I had anticipated.

The surf and turf with onions three ways was really delicious. However, the cut of meat had a lot of fat on it and given that the steak had been sliced before serving I would have expected them to trim it. The onions three ways were yummy - especially the onion rings which were elevated to fine dining.

I sat at the bar and the waitress and oyster guy were pleasant and helpful. However, when I reserved a few hours earlier that day I was asked if I wanted a table or the bar and said the former, only to show up and be told that wasn't possible.

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank Julie N

“Caveat diner”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2013

Two and one half years ago, I wrote a review ranking L'Orignal Restaurant as excellent on all counts, and particularly for its game dishes. Sadly, I have to reverse that now based on a recent meal that was seriously disappointing, compounded by the fact that what it lists on the menu is NOT what you get.
On the basis of my last visit, I recently brought five friends to this restaurant when we attended a conference in Montreal. The first courses were good: oysters, tartare, which was supposed to be made of bison, but now I wonder, and a soup. The mains then arrived, one of which was to be boar and mine was supposed to be quail. I had asked our server if it was wild quail or farm raised. She assured me it was wild quail. This is unusual but not impossible and at the price seemed reasonable. Quail should be very small and the breast and legs a deep red meant, no matter if it is wild or farmed. My "quail" arrived and it was the size of a cornish game hen, all white meat and totally tasteless and mealy. I called over the server and asked if there was a mistake? She then explained that well, actually, the new chef has been introducing some differences and the "quail" is actually pullet (poulette in French)! Pullet are very young chickens. They are nothing special and absolutely nothing like quail! She asked if there was something wrong with this one, they would fix another, and I told her no, I did not want another pullet and if there were no quail, I would simply skip the main dish. When the bill arrived, the quail dinner had not been removed and we were overcharged on one of the two wines by +$25 as they had listed the wrong wine. When I called the server over again to correct this at first she started to argue about which wines we had, but we still had the bottles. She corrected the wine price but they did not remove the dish and made no apology. The rest of the service was fine, but the food was a serious disappointment and for me, an embarrassment, as I had brought my friends out for a thoroughly mediocre meal. It is inexcusable for a restaurant to purposely mislead the customer about what is in a dish, particularly as I had inquire about it before ordering. All in all, it made for a very unhappy night.

• Visited June 2013
5 Thank tdrk
Cornwall, Canada
“Delightful setting in old Montreal”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2013

Old style, comfortable restaurant, close to theatres. Fine dining, affordable. Good service, ambiance, good selection of wines.

Visited May 2013
Montreal, Canada
“Good for game and oysters”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 4, 2013

Always a good meal in a pleasant atmosphere. Wait staff know the menu and explanations are tight and accurate. Wine list short but well paired to food selection. Oysters are a must but expensive! Try the boar if available.

Visited May 2013
Ljubljana, Slovenia
“Great place for game”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2013

Staff is very friendly and helpfull, restaurant is located in old city, so everybody is afraid of tourist-trap, but this is not. Reservstion is recommendable, because place is popular and not so big. We tried bison tartare, oysters, fish and game and everythimg was very tasty. Selection of wine is good and place is recomendable.

• Visited April 2013