“Excellent Value, Amazing Pool, and Mostly terrific staff.”
Review of Le Westin Montreal

Le Westin Montreal
Ranked #29 of 164 Hotels in Montreal
Kitchener, Canada
“Excellent Value, Amazing Pool, and Mostly terrific staff.”
Reviewed March 19, 2013

Overall I must say that the value we received for what we got at le Westin was excellent and almost all of the staff were friendly and helpful.

We got a 3 night package where we paid $200 for the first night and $83 for the subsequent 2 nights (it was a birth year plan, would have been cheaper if I was older).

It was very busy the night we arrived (our only hiccup at check-in related to parking, more on that later). As SPG Platinum members we were upgraded to a Premium room in what I’m guessing is the Older Tower (Room 645). We were also given access to the Club Lounge which has Juice, water, pop and granola bars at most times during the day. We also had breakfast included at Gazette in the morning. On top of that we were given some cards that would give us a free appetizer, glass of wine or beer at Gazette between 5 and 7 for each day.

We weren’t able to use the cards the first night or the second night so we went down on the 3rd night and they let us use all of the cards. We ended up having a few appetizers each for our dinner that night and just split a Cesar salad and took a dessert up to the room. This was much better than we expected, and the food was excellent!

The breakfast was excellent the first 2 mornings, and much different on Monday morning. Perhaps because it wasn’t as busy on Sunday night? The food that morning just must have sat out longer or perhaps a different chef in the kitchen. Regardless it was still good, just not as good as the first 2 mornings. It was a full buffet breakfast, and there were some different options each day which was nice.

Our room was large but rather dark, and with a pillar directly inside the front door. Although there is a sitting area with a couch we never used it because it was so dark in this area. The ceilings in the bedroom portion were quite high, but sadly so were the windows (they started at about 5 feet from the ground) so there was no real view. This room felt very dark and closed in. Nothing else was wrong with the room, the bed was a typical Westin bed (which we love!), spacious, a mini fridge, nice bathroom, bathrobes, etc. We just prefer a brighter room with a better view.
We were told they didn’t have anything else available for that night so we spent that night there. It wasn’t a problem, but not a room we particularly wanted to stay in for any longer.

On top of that, the one major nuisance to that tower is that in order to use the pool you have to go down to the lobby and get in the other elevator then go to the pool. Not terribly classy (or warm) having to walk through the lobby in swimwear in March.

Thankfully in the morning we spoke to the front desk again and they were very friendly and accommodating, they were able to transfer us to a different room in the other tower for the remaining 2 nights of our stay. They even sent someone up that afternoon to move our bags and everything over to our new room (2020).

The pool and fitness area were definitely one of my favourite parts of the hotel. There are 3 pools, a cold plunge, a hot plunge and warm pool. The pool is really neat as it has a glass bottom and looks down over the valet area. It was also quite invigorating going from the Hot Plunge into the Cold Plunge and back again. They also have a sauna and a fitness area that has tons of equipment.

I would have rated le Westin a 5, but there was one main sour spot to our stay and that was the parking/valet staff. Right from our arrival the parking was full (I completely understand that this happens, no big deal). However, I have bags and my wife is 7 months pregnant, I am going to pull up to drop her and the bags off. I don’t need to be scolded for not reading the valet is full sign. A polite thing to do might have been to offer to help with the bags so that I could get out of the area quicker rather than just telling me I need to move my car. Also, there is a lot right across the street (right at the exit of le Westin in fact), they charge $20 per day on the weekend and $22 during the week per exit for a full day, there is an hourly rate as well.
If this was my only issue with the valet I probably would just chalk it up to a stressful night and encounter for that person. But it was each time that I came through the area. Again, because I am not going to make my pregnant wife walk down and through a parking garage I am going to pick her up. Each time I was told how I couldn’t be there and needed to move my car. There were no other cars in the area and I was off to the side, but that didn’t seem to matter to the valet.
Sadly our last impression of le Westin was similar. I pulled up to get my pregnant wife and luggage. Despite moving my car for them (I was off to the side but they insisted I needed to be on the other side, even though I was the only car in the whole area and anyone could have made it around me) they didn’t offer to help with luggage or anything. That and I may not speak French well, but when the valet was muttering something in French under his breath walking away from me, I’m pretty sure it wasn’t have a nice day or thanks for staying at le Westin….

Overall, the value for what we received cannot be beat. I would stay here again in a heartbeat but I certainly hope they do something about the rude, inconsiderate valet staff. They were the sour note to the whole trip and a change in attitude would do wonders!!!

Room Tip: Choose the tower room that is attached to the pool.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Jalenkos
yanlap, General Manager at Le Westin Montreal, responded to this review, April 2, 2013
Dear Jalenkos, thank you kindly for providing such an extensive feedback further to your recent visit. I am happy to read you enjoyed your overall at Le Westin and I wish to apologize on behalf of the parking attendant team, with which I will review your comment. I sincerely hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back when your travels bring you back to Montreal. Au revoir,

Raymond St-Pierre, GM

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (310)
Fairfax, VT
Reviewed March 17, 2013

This newly built (4 yrs. old as of 2013), sleekly designed hotel is perfectly located in-between Old Montreal and the Centre d'art de Montréal Art Centre. Hotel staff were extremely helpful. If you like to feel pampered within a contemporary hotel atmosphere with stellar views of the downtown Montreal skyline, then stay at this hotel. They have a beautiful fitness center and glass bottom pool with an accompanying warm-water soaking pool and chillingly refreshing cool pool when you are feeling heated up; and of course a very nice sauna.
Great gourmet restaurant on ground level... the amenities are extensive. This is our new favorite hotel in Montreal. For bargain lovers, check out their winter rates... usually under $150 a night. Summer is when prices go up. See tips about views.

Room Tip: If you want views of the river, you have to make sure your room is on a higher level to see over nei...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
yanlap, General Manager at Le Westin Montreal, responded to this review, March 18, 2013
Dear SDVT, I am very thankful for your positive words. Be ensured that we are dedicated to remain “your new favorite hotel in Montreal” for many years to come! Au revoir,

St. Albans, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 16, 2013

Myself and three colleagues stayed at Le Westin for four days in March and we were not happy with our hotel experience. The reception is being refurbished, which obviously has to happen some time, but it created a poor impression on arrival. The breakfast/dining experience is where we had the most issues. Plates were dirty, food was cold and choice was nowhere near as good as other American branded hotels such as the Marriott. Service was all over the place - uninvited pots of tea turned up but what we ordered took a long time to arrive. Orange juice was offered in a way which suggests it's complimentary but was then charged for - even though we'd breakfast included in our rate. In the evening, food was OK, if a little minimalist, but requests were forgotten & we had to wait ages for the bill, despite the restaurant only being 10% full.

The rooms were really warm at night (despite being assured by an engineer that the thermostat would kick in and cool it down). Little room extras, eg a well stocked bathroom, amenity kit etc, were very much absent. Not helpful if you'd relied on a pot of shower gel and a wad of cotton wool.

We will definitely not stay at this hotel on our return next month.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank JMD70
Dear JMD70, please accept my most sincere apologies as I understand your last visit at Le Westin fell short of your expectations. We have tried to minimize the impact of lobby renovations, but I can appreciate that for the time being the sense of arrival has been affected. As well, be ensured that your concerns about gaZette restaurant will be reviewed and acted on. We usually pride ourselves with the high food and service quality, and I am sincerely sorry to read we failed on delivering when your team was here. I would be delighted to get the opportunity to show you how this was an isolated inconvenience and hope you will do us the favor of giving Le Westin another try when travel brings you back to Montreal.

Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed March 14, 2013

I had the pleasure of staying here as part of a business conference as the location is right across the street from the Montreal Convention Centre. This is a great hotel! The building has been tastefully upgraded. The rooms are average size and very comfortable. I like having the soft ambient nature sounds when you first walk into your room. The bathrooms are nicely appointed with a great shower! This is always important for me. The staff are extremely courteous, helpful and professional. The location is very close to the "old Montreal" area. It is very beautiful and historic. Very old European feel with a Canadian flavour. I love to visit Montreal and if i don't have to pay for it I'll stay at the Westin again. Great place.

Room Tip: Views are better facing the street.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Thank you very much for your feedback, Kingston I. I am happy to read you have enjoyed our location and comfort levels upon your last visit. Be well,

Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed March 6, 2013

Le Westin is situated between Chinatown and Old Montreal and close to both the green and orange metro lines. It is also close to the business district. For these reasons, it's a great property. There are numerous other hotels in the area, so book it if you can get a deal or value your Starwoods Points. I had 1516, a corner room, that was clean, bright and spacious.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank miss_wanderluster
yanlap, General Manager at Le Westin Montreal, responded to this review, March 7, 2013
Bonjour miss_wanderluster, your feedback is much appreciated. I am happy to read you enjoyed your recent visit to Le Westin and hope to welcome you back soon!

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 27, 2013 via mobile

Had to travel to Montreal for work and spent the weekend enjoying the sites. This is a great modern hotel and the room size is terrific. The bathroom is on the small size but it modern and clean and the shower is great. The gym is fabulous and it's the best gym I have seen and used in a long while. There is a pool and spa area which was popular with family and kids. Catharine who was on the front desk was exceptional - she really looked after us and made all our dinner bookings. The breakfast staff were also very friendly and efficient. The location of the hotel is super convenient, with a short stroll to Old Montreal and the Entertainment district. Thoroughly enjoyed the city of Montreal and the hotel - would definitely go back!

Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
yanlap, General Manager at Le Westin Montreal, responded to this review, February 28, 2013
Dear Peteshell12, I am very excited to read how much you enjoyed Montreal and Le Westin. Thank you for having taken a moment to share your feedback online, I will make sure your “merci” gets to Catherine. Be well,

Carrollton, Texas
Reviewed February 27, 2013

The entire staff was exceptional, befitting a 4 star hotel property. From the valet to the concierge, the treatment was outstanding. The room was clean and spacious, and the bed and bedding were top quality. Location is perfect for exploring Vieux Montreal on foot. We will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you very much for your good words, RTR2011. It will be a pleasure for all of us to welcome you back at Le Westin. Au revoir!