“Wonderful Hotel”
Review of Le Westin Montreal

Le Westin Montreal
Ranked #29 of 165 Hotels in Montreal
Reviewed April 2, 2011

We enjoyed our stay at the Westin. the hotel was very nice. The hotel employees were very helpful in answering all our questions. Close to Old Town and the Metro Stations. Beds are very comfortable, rooms really good size. Free Wifi. Nice Nice experience

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank irishwhiskey1
yanlap, General Manager at Le Westin Montreal, responded to this reviewResponded April 6, 2011

Thank you for taking a minute to review our property on Trip Advisor. We are delighted you and your family enjoyed your stay and hope to see you again very soon!

Reviewed March 28, 2011

This is a great Westin. It is an old newspaper building that has been beautifully turned into a great hotel. At first, seeing a shower only (no tub) I was suprised, and a total lack of views from the rooms was surprising as well, but those were the only negatives I came across. Otherwise the rooms and facilities were outstanding. The staff were extremely friendly and geuinely seemed to take ownership of their jobs....a sign of really good management. It is hard to beleive that this is the same hotel chain as the dump they call a in Westin in Ottawa. This is 10 times the hotel and so well run that you feel that you are a valued guest.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
yanlap, General Manager at Le Westin Montreal, responded to this reviewResponded March 30, 2011

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay at Le Westin Montreal, it is greatly appreciated.

Regarding the tub and the view, we understand that these two options can be very important to individuals and therefore thought it best to advise you that both of these options are available upon request. Simply advise us of your preference at the time of booking and we will be glad to provide a room that will fully suit your needs.

We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed February 17, 2011

I stayed at the Le Westin Montreal for a few nights in late December, including New Years Eve. Our group booked a couple rooms using a corporate rate and I feel that we made the right decision choosing a Westin property. The location of the hotel was perfect, Old Montreal had tons of historic sights and restaurants to choose from, and was a short cab ride to the bars, clubs, and casino that we visited at night. The hotel only has valet parking, which for $25 was not a bad deal considering if you called down ahead of time they could have your car ready in 10 minutes flat (there was also an underground city lot across the street which was $20 a night, but for the extra $5 why not go with the hotels). The service was great, the front desk was very pleasant, even when dealing with a pretty large group. We were treated with a Globe and Mail newspaper every morning and housekeeping would always come back at a later time since we often slept in.

The rooms were nice and modern, about average for a 4-star hotel. The 2 queen beds were large and comfortable, the room included a minibar to store your drinks as well as an ipod player/alarm clock, and the bathrooms had a very nice glass enclosed shower with a rainfall showerhead. Some members of our group opted to go for suites and I would highly recommend getting one, the bedrooms were much larger and having 2 bathrooms and a sitting area was great for entertaining.

The fitness gym/sauna area was pretty amazing, with treadmills, free weights and weight machines rivaling those of most private clubs. Unfortunately the indoor pool was under construction/maintenance so we weren’t able to use it, but the front-desk informed us of this at check-in and offered us keycards to access the pool at the neighbouring Intercontinental.

The only fault I found at the hotel was the price of room service, it was pretty outrageous. But with tons of dining options nearby we found some pretty good places to eat out. All in all I had a couple great nights at the hotel and would highly recommend it to anyone else staying in Montreal.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with friends
yanlap, General Manager at Le Westin Montreal, responded to this reviewResponded March 1, 2011

We would like to thank you for taking the time to post your comments following your recent stay at Le Westin Montreal. We take our guests feedback very seriously and so we will be sharing your comments with the rest of our team. As you mentioned, the pool was indeed undergoing renovations at the time of your stay. We are pleased to say that as of January the work has been completed, the pool has been re-opened and is ready for your enjoyment. We sincerely hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you at our hotel in the near future.

Reviewed February 12, 2011

I travel to Montreal about once a month from Toronto and usually stay at the Sheraton. I tried the Westin for some variety and here's the verdict:

Pro: Nice rooms
Near Old Montreal
Nice gym, but the pool is very small
Free wireless internet- same at Sheraton

Cons: The area is a bit far from the business area
Hard to get taxi's. I had to wait 10 min each morning. There was snow but at the Sheraton you never wait.
Room service menu was strange- only one beef dish and 4 fish for dinner. Not an issue for me but some people might like more meat dishes.

I also thought the restaurant for breakfast wasn't great. The buffet is adequate but I've seen much better (Westin Calgary).

I would probably stay here again if it was for vacation but I think the Sheraton is better suited for business.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed February 7, 2011

check in was quick and professional. i appreciated the spacious rooms and the nice pool, although the Interconti pool is beter. Breakfast buffet was wonderful, again very good service. From a location point of view it is not ideal but you can reach most places easily. Maje sure to get a room with a view, some rooms only give wall view....

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed January 11, 2011

I was there in Mid November of last year, on a large corporate business trip. My company had booked out the majority of the hotel, and they were well aware of the fact that I worked for the company that was indeed providing them with a large amount of money.

My role there was quite tedious for a few days. I was in and out of meetings, running between meeting rooms and my guest room, and the elevator of course requires and ACTIVE and COMEPTENT room key in order to work. My room key somehow mysteriously kept de-activating. Many times I would take the elevator (after many attempts just to get it working, often I would have stand there like a fool until someone else came on) up to my room and down the hall with an armful of meeting materials and a heavy laptop bag with just 5 minutes to drop the materials and bag and rush off to the next meeting, only to find that my room key no longer worked. So I would have to carry all of my belongings downstairs again across the lobby and politely request a new key and have them scold me that yet again, I must be keeping it to close to my cell phone—all the while I have my cell phone and the key on completely separate points of my body the entire time. Needless to say this happened 5 times, and I nearly lost it when it happened the 6th time after being there for just 3 days. Finally on my fourth and final evening of my stay they then decide to send someone up to recalibrate my door only to realize that there scolding and chastising for my inability to separate phone and room key was a complete waste as it was in fact an issue with the door. This is something that they should have done the first of second time I complained, not the 6th time.

It was not only me, as I saw several other people on my floor also repeatedly trying their room key with that same look of frustration, and also saw many people struggle with accessing the elevators.

I couldn’t tell you what the pool was like because it was closed, and likely my key would not have worked anyway.

The cleaning ladies had terrible timing and I would often come back to my room at 2, 3 pm after being gone since 8 am and the room was still not refreshed. Twice they left the “We’re still cleaning your room, please wait outside” door hanger on the door, which made me wait in the hall only to find out 10 minutes after waiting that they were not even in there, and one of those times the door was even left propped open with the door hanger on.

As for booking meetings—I had to call down twice, 10 minutes before a meeting was to start to ask them to set up coffee and water because they had forgotten, the AV assistant wasn’t sure how to use the telephone and I had to spend 10 minutes trying to convince the front desk that I was unable to dial out from the phone, until she believed me and dialed out for me and connected me because the AV kid wouldn’t bother.

Frustrations didn't even end with my visit. On top of everything else they charged me 60 dollars for valet parking, even thought I did not have a car and then when I returned home, I saw that the 60 dollars that they had removed from my original bill had been reapplied AGAIN for valet parking to my credit card, and I had to call them to have them remove the charge.

Sure the beds are nice, and the shower was beautiful, but how nice is it when you are pissed off after coming home at 3 am with shoes that kill your feet and having to go all the back downstairs because your room key doesn’t work, AGAIN, for the 5th time in three days.

Thanks LE Westin, a hardly relaxing stay.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled on business
yanlap, General Manager at Le Westin Montreal, responded to this reviewResponded February 8, 2011

I would first like to apologize for the delayed reply to your comment. Rest assured that it was acknowledged immediately but due to the seriousness of the issues, we wanted to investigate before simply addressing.

Immediately following receipt of your comment accompanied by a few others of a similar nature, we called upon the installer of the electronic key card system to aide in the investigation. Some modifications were made and tests were conducted throughout the entire hotel. As a result of their investigation, we found that due to the system being relatively new (the hotel is only 1 ½ years old), there were indeed certain isolated areas within the hotel experiencing sporadic issues such as you unfortunately experienced during your stay. We have been successful in remedying the situation and there has not been any additional reports of such issues since we worked on the system.

Above all, Le Westin Montreal is committed to providing our guests with the highest quality of service and facilities, therefore please accept my sincerest apologies for your unpleasant experience during your stay.

Reviewed January 3, 2011

My fiance and I stayed at the Westin for 2 nights over the New Year's holiday and I can not say enough about our stay.

The location is great (near the Cathedral, Old Port, St. Catherine's, and the Metro/Underground City) and the service was excellent.

Vallet and check-in were swift and it was definitely nice to be able to get out of your car and be inside. We had a plan where breakfast buffet was included and I was pleasantly surprised by the great choices and that the staff was so friendly and attentive. Coffee and juice were never empty.
The beds live up to their name and the room was large enough to fit a full-sized sofa and a few chairs which was great if you wanted to watch TV or eat and not be laying down in bed.
We experienced a problem with a movie we ordered and called the front desk to have it taken care of and they removed the charge and sent someone to fix it right away which was great.

Only negatives I could say would be that the pool is closed until further notice and that there is not much in terms of a traditional hotel bar available. They have one tucked away in the restaurant, but it would have been nice to get a drink one night at a lobby bar.

Overall it was a great stay and I would definitely come back to this hotel.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple