“Amazing tasting menu - great evening”
Review of Raza - CLOSED

Raza
Cuisines: Latin
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Le Plateau Mont-Royal
Cross street: St-Urbain
Description: francais plus bas___ RAZA IS NOW A RESTAURANT BRING YOUR OWN WINE. THE CHEF MARIO NAVARRETE Jr. BUILDS HIS TASTING MENUS WITH THE RICHNESS OF LATIN RECIPES & PRODUCTS, QUEBEC'S FINE PRODUCTS AND INTERNATIONAL MODERN INFLUENCES. A CHEF'S TASTING MENU AWAITS YOU IN THIS SMALL COZY ROOM WITH A DIFFERENT AND DELICIOUS FOOD EXPERIENCE. WE GO TO DISCOVER THE CHEF'S SURPRISES, TO TREAT OURSELVES, TREAT THE FINEST PALATE AND ENJOY OUR OWN CHOICE OF WINE. ____RAZA est maintenant un restaurant "Apportez votre vin". Le chef Mario Navarrete Jr. batit son menu avec les produits fins du Quebec, toutes les richesses des produits et plats latins ainsi que les influences modernes culinaires internationales. Le menu degustation du chef est surprenant et delicieux, la salle de 32 convives intime. On y va pour decouvrir les surprises du chef, se faire plaisir, faire plaisir aux palais les plus fins et apporter la bouteille de son choix.
Reviewed August 11, 2013

A friend of ours chose Raza having heard some very good things about the place. We loved the fact that we could bring our own wine as we all enjoy high quality wines and our friend rang the restaurant ahead of time to double check the dishes so he could bring the right wines. Our waiter was brilliant - I can't fault the service, although perhaps the kitchen took its time, but we didn't really notice because we were talking a great deal and enjoying our wine so much... We went for the 9 course tasting menu which included dishes such as poached cod topped with caviar, seared salmon, the most amazing Enoki mushroom soup, seared beef filet (delicious), fois gras etc. The only thing I would mention is that the seared fois gras with beetroot and chocolate was not loved by everyone at our table - in fact I am the only one who cleared my plate because I loved the dish. The men in particular were not fans of the fois gras and chocolate sauce combination. But I was! And so I highly recommend this lovely little restaurant.

There are newer reviews for Raza

Reviewed July 2, 2013

This was our second time going and also my parents' first time. We have eaten all over the world and in some Michelin rated restaurants and this was by far the best meal we have ever had. My parents cannot stop raving about it. I had not been there in 5 years and I still remember that first meal vividly! Everything is fresh and well presented and tastes amazing. The chef came out and talked to us both 5 years ago and this time around. Amazing guy. he should be cooking in NYC or LA!
It is Bring your own wine!
CANNOT SAY ENOUGH about this place!

1  Thank 937beanz
Reviewed March 10, 2013

I've been reading some bad comments about the service there but I thought that they would have improve since couple of people complained about it so we decided to go last night since the food is suppose to be great and that you can bring your own wine. The food was good but not amazing for the price (it cost over 200$ for 2 people)... The ceviche and the foie gras taco were the highlights of the meal but the other courses were a little fade at my taste. Now the service... If you don't have enough staff in the restaurant to offer a 6 courses tasting menu then don't ! There was a gap of at least 30 minutes between every courses, if you multiply by 6 and add the 30 minutes before you get the waiter to take your order you end up waiting for your food most of the night. Our wine bottle was almost finished after the second course so we had to wait for the food with no booze wich make it even more awful !!! Restaurant wasn't even half full so I don't want to imagine what the waiting is when it's full ! I told the waiter about it at the end of the night and he told us that next time we go it should be better... Guess what ? I won't go there again !

2  Thank Jeffff_13
Reviewed November 14, 2012

My spouse and I dined there for my birthday and during the Taste Montreal week. Since we decided on the first service at 6PM, we only had the 3-service menu. My spouse had the black bean soup which was very tasteful while I decided on the scallop ceviche. My appetizer was surprising on the first bite but as I go on eating, the different layers of flavour kicked in to attenuate somehow the powerful taste of the lime which was overpowering on the first bite. We both had the beff cheek which was fork-tender although mine was a little overseared. The dessert was a cream of banada and a chocolate marshmallow. Though both element were good, what stood out for me was the sauce that came with it. It was tangy, not overly sweet and compliments so well the other two elements. I will definately go back to try their five-service tasting menu which changes with the chef's inspiration (so we were told). All in all, a very nice discovery.

We had the very last table and could watch the chef working which was very nice. They do work hard. Lastly, this is a BYOB so you can bring a very special bottle at the price you're ready to put on. Another plus as far as I'm concerned!

1  Thank knml911
Reviewed October 15, 2012

This restaurant is exceptional, even though it is in a city of exceptional restaurants. It is a fixed menu restaurant with 5 courses with foie gras a possible addition. They do take allergies into account and make special courses to replace those that are missed due to allergy. From the home-made sweet potato rolls to the surprise dessert, every course is beautifully presented, with precision, blending tastes, colors and textures. Go while you can still afford it. This may be Montreal's best restaurant at present. And, when you go, bring your best wine. The food is deserving of it. This restaurant has had rave reviews and is deserving of every accolade it has received and many more.
[Montreal has 2 types of restaurants: those that sell wine and those that serve wine (that you bring). They must purchase an alcohol permit of 1 type only. Raza began life selling wine. The chef is Peruvian-born and sold good South American wines but now serves wine, so bring your own.]

1  Thank Onereallyniceguy