“A mixed bag”
Review of Hotel Zero 1

Hotel Zero 1
Ranked #56 of 165 Hotels in Montreal
Reviewed August 15, 2011

A room about as big as a breadbox. And why they couldn't put in heavier windows to block street noise is beyond me. But having said that, the room layout was efficient & included a fridge, coffee maker & free internet. Breakfast (croissant, fruit, yogurt, coffee) was included.
The neighborhood can feel sketchy but it's convenient to everything, including right at a stop to the express airport bus ($8), a real convenience.
The whole hotel is nonsmoking -- except, it seems, the great outside terrace on the 5th floor. Or maybe just not enforced there.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,230)

Reviewed August 14, 2011

bad: pretty sketchy neighborhood that near but only for a block that behind the hotel
- some towels have stains
-some dirt in small crevasses like between the bed and frame for me there were bread crumbs in my room
- lots of spiders/web on the window all on the outside but some webs in the rooms too very few though
-missing room sign (do not disturb, cleaning service)

good: GREAT LOCATION--- in the middle of downtown. everything is in walking distance about 10-25 mins
-pretty cheap
- Really comfy bed/pillow
-nice looking rooms. modern interior, nice to have a mini kitchenette
-lots of different food places near by
-chinatown is right across the street
-grocery store near by

unknown: didn't really have to call room service/customer service (front desk people were nice from the interactions that i had with them)
- restaurant was not open yet
-didn't wake up to try the continental breakfast

overall: 3 1/2 out of 5

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank someguy90
Reviewed August 9, 2011

We stayed here for a couple nights before a wedding that we had to attend. Since every hotel in Montreal is over $200 a night in the summer time, I came across this one and decided to take a chance at only $130 a night. When we first got there, late at night, almost 1am, we decided to walk around the neighbourhood. When you go back behind the hotel (opposite way of Old Montreal), it's a very Sketchy area!!! Drugs....women of the night...all of this is going on, so I was actually scared! The hotel itself was nice though. The next day we found our way to Old Montreal, which is so quick to get too and we also walked to the downtown in about 25 minutes. The rooms were clean and very different with the black walls, and the beds were comfortable. The shower was a bit small and oddly shaped, but service was fairly good as well. So all in all, I would stay here again 100%. For the price - you can't go wrong!

Room Tip: you only need to show your business card to get a business rate.
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Canadiangirl02
Reviewed July 30, 2011

I would give this Hotel 3 1/2 stars if I could.

We arrived in Montreal on Friday July 1st, which was not only Canada Day but also the start of July 4th weekend in the US and Jazz Festival in Montreal and the weekend the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge (aka Will and Kate) were visiting this city. Needless to say, it was a big weekend for Montreal!

This is why I wasn't so surprised that when we pulled up to Hotel Zero 1, there was a line of cars waiting and no Valet in sight. After wading my way through a lobby full of guests waiting to check-in, I was able to learn from another guest that we were being told to park our cars in the side street behind the hotel and the Valet would park it when he was able to. The trouble was, the 6 parking spots behind the hotel were all occupied. We managed to find street parking about 2 blocks from the hotel and were lucky enough to spot the Valet himself on our way into the Hotel. After letting him know where we parked, he promised ours would be the next car he took care of. I am happy to report, he kept his promise and the front desk staff were extremely helpful in making sure this was taken care of.

The check-in process was pretty painless. We were handed an infosheet containing some basic information about the hotel, including a brief description of the complimentary breakfast served daily (we did not take advantage of this, as it was simply juice and muffins) as well as notice that there was a 24 hour convenience store located just off the lobby. We checked this place out and I would not say it's a "convenience store" in the traditional sense of the word. It didn't sell any last minute or forgotten items like contact lens solution, toothbrushes, bandaids or tylenol - it actually only sold food and drinks (including alcohol and wine), so if you forgot something, don't assume you can get it here, this is simply a place to buy drinks (no hard liquor) and snack foods. For those that are curious, we were also told that the restaurant was still under construction with a completion date in the Fall of 2011.

Hotel Zero 1 is located in a great area. It is right across the street from chinatown and 3-4 blocks from all the action on Rue St Catherines. We walked all over the place from the hotel - the Latin Quarter (a bit of a walk), Old Montreal, the Financial district, Notre Dame, the Eaton Centre, and all of the bars on Rue St Catherines. I will temper this by saying we were in Montreal on an extremely popular/busy weekend. Everywhere we went at any time of day (early morning to late at night) the sidewalks were filled with pedestrians and the streets with cars. I can see why some past reviewers, going on a less popular weekend, might think the area surrounding the hotel is not the best neighborhood. There were several homeless people walking around, empty parking lots both in front of and behind the hotel, and some vacant buildings. I would describe this area as "up and coming" as there are signs of construction all around the neighborhood as well as several well known hotel chains just blocks away.

The hotel itself was great value for the money, which is why I would give it three and a half stars. There were definitely one or two missing details that would prevent me from giving this place a 4 star rating. These are basic design details that were lacking. For example, there was no room safe in the room. After searching for about 10 minutes, opening ever drawer and door, we called down to the lobby where they explained we could leave our valuables with them. Luckily, we didn't have much in terms of valuables and aside from our passports, could have forgone using a safe. I think it's definitely something future guests staying here need to be aware of though.

Another detail that was lacking - and this is something really small, but it kind of makes a difference (at least, in my rating system) - was that in the bathroom, the hairdryer was placed in the bottom cabinet right next to the garbage can. This isn't a huge deal and I'm not really finicky, but I couldn't understand why they chose to shove the full size hairdryer in the same cubby as the garbage when there were 2 open shelves in the sink console they could have placed it. Thinking this was an anomaly or some odd oversight, I asked my sister (who was also travelling with our party and staying in the room next door) whether this was the case in her room and she confirmed it was. Again, not a deal breaker but in my opinion it speaks of the difference between a 3 and 4 star rating.

The last detail that was lacking was the use of effective space in the bathroom. The shower stall - although modern and great looking - was a narrow rectangle. They chose to install the showerhead on the long wall (instead of the short wall in 99% of bathtub/shower stall configurations). To create a clearer picture, the shower stall was long and narrow. By placing the showerhead on the long wall, the space directly in front of it (where the water sprays) is quite narrow. It seemed like a design flaw because in most tubs or showers where the area is rectangle-shaped, the showerhead is placed on the short wall and take advantage of the long space directly below the water spray. Ultimately, this was a minor inconvenience and wasn't a deterrent to taking a shower :)

I would definitely recommend this hotel for those seeking good value for the area. The decor was modern with a lot of black and white contrast with pops of green. Some have described it as "Ikea" in past reviews. I would say this is an accurate assessment, especially since I spotted a similar table/chairs and lamp in the Ikea catalogue not long after returning from our stay there :)

Something to be aware of is that if you take your car, parking is another $20/night extra. This is not unusual and is pretty standard with all downtown area hotels. We drove around a bit before checking in and there were not too many options in terms of parking in the immediate area. I would NOT park on the street long-term or in the open-air parking lots directly in front of and a few blocks behind the hotel - these are not safe places to park according to some locals we asked. There is a parking garage about 3-4 blocks away for I think $15-20/night that is safer (people in our party parked here with no issues).

The room has a ton of closet space and an additional sink outside of the bathroom that you can use to prepare coffee, tea, etc. There is also wifi available in every room - it is great and very useful.

I value cleanliness and updated fixtures in hotels and this one definitely made the grade there. The staff were all courteous and helpful. We stayed on the eighth floor. Except for the restaurant, every area we were in looks newly renovated and complete.

I would definitely stay here again on another trip to Montreal!

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends
5  Thank travel_gnome33
Reviewed July 27, 2011

We have been traveling to Montreal for the past year, on business with some pleasure thrown in, and have stayed in three different hotels. It was a busy time for the city, with many hotels booked up, so we decided to take a chance on the relatively new Zero 1. The rate was excellent, and the location (near Chinatown and several different Metro stations) very good (yes, some of the surroundings are still in transition, but we were very comfortable in the neighborhood). Though the hotel is still working out some challenges (with the valet parking, on a VERY busy corner), we found the service very friendly and helpful, the room (yes, they are painted black - I'm sure they will get over that at some point!) quite comfortable and spacious enough to work, sleep and enjoy an evening cocktail, and the breakfast foods well done - especially since they provide "to go" cups and little bags for the pastries, etc.
We will stay again when we return to Montreal.

Room Tip: We were on the 11th floor; we could hear NO street noise, but I suspect that may be true on all floo...
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank jpsgirl96
Reviewed July 27, 2011

After searching high and low on the internet for the perfect Montreal hotel for our vacation, I chose Hotel Zero based on the price, location and over-all design. The hotel was even nicer than I expected. The location is beyond excellent, right below St. Catherine's street, and less than a 10 minute walk to the shops and bars on St. Denis. As some reviews stated it is near the "red light district"; yes there are strip clubs nearby on St. Catherine's, but if you know anything about Montreal, they stretch throughout downtown. This hotel is not closer than any other hotels to them.
The rooms themselves were tastefully designed--very IKEA-ish, with an all white platform bed (very comfortable duvet and pillows), flat screen TV, small table with two chairs, and a large yellow-tinted mirror on the wall. The view was amazing from the 9th floor room, a panoramic city view--we could even see the fireworks from the water at night (not quite sure what the occasion for them was). The bathroom was a shower only, but was so thoughtfully designed, with a removable shower head and a large in shower mirror against the wall. A nice hairdryer and toiletries were provided. The kitchenette is hidden behind dark brown doors upon entering the room, and is equipped with a sink, plates, cups, wine glasses, coffeemaker, silverware and napkins, a cutting board, wine key, microwave and mini refrigerator. The room couldn't have been better, we had our own thermostat which worked great and the soundproofing in the room was excellent, we never heard anything outside of our room (maybe we just had quiet neighbors?). The only complaint I had was the wireless internet. Each room has its own router, but it is a crappy one. I was unable to connect using my iphone, so we resorted to hardwiring the laptop with the ethernet cable. After doing so, it worked fine. Not a big deal (And yes, we tried turning the router on/off several times).
The patio area on the fifth floor is nice, though we never spent time out there, it was crowded with people smoking at night. The hotel is connected to a 24 hour convenience store which is accessed near the lobby down a lit hallway. The bar is still being built, but we didn't have any complaints as we brought alcohol from the home and kept it in the fridge since it's cheaper ;)
Stay here if you come to Montreal. We would definitely stay here again if/when we come back.

Room Tip: As for a high room with city view facing Rene-Lavesque. Bring own drinks/snacks for the kitchenette!
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank whitkeys
Reviewed July 25, 2011

This is a NICE hotel. Super new and newly renovated. Hotel Zero-1 looks like it was once a hostel but is renovated to be a full service hotel. It is conveniently located on Rene Levesque and St. Laurent, so the Airport express bus stops very close to it, and you can easily walk up St. Laurent to get to anywhere that matters in Montreal.

The lobby is very hip and the check-in staff are very helpful and down to earth. Each room is very nicely furnished with modern furniture, colourful lighting but the rooms have a dark finish that is more night clubby. Each room has its own kitchenette with a sink, microwave and fridge so you have a place to heat up your leftovers and even entertain.

The IP phone system means you can make free long distance calls anywhere in the world. I asked the staff if they would ever change it and they said "we figure the cost is covered when you come to stay here next". Great philosophy. The technology support is great. Each room has its own wireless router, although upload rates seem quite slow.

Breakfast is great too. Complimentary assortment of fruit, yogurt, and pastries. The Muffins are some of the best muffins I've ever had, seriously.

There is a gym, but it's not much to write home about. I wouldn't ding them for it but I wish they had some free weights. There's a nice deck with a great view on the 5th floor. South facing rooms have a much better view of the skyline of Old Montreal. Ask to be put in one of those.

Just awesome awesome value. I'm a huge fan.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled solo