“wonderful”

Ranked #19 of 144 Montreal B&B and Inns
Tallahassee, Florida
“wonderful”
Reviewed September 15, 2013

My husband and I stayed for 3 nights recently-we had a lovely time-Ephraim and Yves are super hosts-the shower was great, and we thought all the items in the bathroom were so thoughtful, i.e. mouthwash, nail polish remover, kleenex, cotton balls, make-up remover pads,etc, everything that
one would need and probably forgot. The breakfasts were nonpareil and Ephraim is a fabulously creative cook. Both Ephraim and Yves had wonderful dining recommendations-what more could yu ask for?

Room Tip: Our double room upstairs had a window that opened and provided a nice breeze.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Susan M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
Minneapolis
Reviewed September 8, 2013

Room was huge, but had to share a bathroom. Furnishings were older, about what I'd expect in an old house. The innkeepers were very generous with advice and information. I think maybe too generous. Some people probably love the super chatty treatment, but I would have preferred a lighter touch. All over the house are slightly bossy multiple signs about what to dobnot do. We had trouble navigating the streets to get there, but once parked in the right spot (not a trivial proposition) it was a perfect spot for exploring the Plateau neighborhood. Quiet dead-end street, but so close to all the commerce and transit you want.

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank BioAnnie
GingerbreadManor, Owner at Gingerbread Manor Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, September 10, 2013
We are indeed an ideal location for exploring all that Montreal has to offer. Helpful signs in French and English provide guests with important information in an unfamiliar environment. All the information about our room amenities are clearly available on our website.

Our goal is to help our guests, many of whom are international, to enjoy all our neighbourhood and city have to offer. We really do know the best places. Let us help you find them! We enjoy helping you get the most of the city by personalizing our recommendations of things to do for our guests. We make thousands of recommendations and hundreds of restaurant reservations for guests every year. We truly care for our guests. But, sometimes guests have their own itinerary all worked out. It is okay to tell us that you don't need our help. Unfortunately we can't meet every guest's expectation, but we do appreciate your feedback.
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed September 5, 2013

I stayed here for a week in early August while attending a conference. I agree with many of the reviews here; great location just outside downtown with lots of restaurants a short walk away. Really friendly hosts. Room was small but very clean and well furnished. Shared bathroom was scrupulously clean as well. Would definitely stay here again if I return to Montreal.

Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Bloomington, Minnesota
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Our family of 4 recently spent a week at this great B&B. We had so much fun exploring Montreal and this was our home base. The location was perfect for us. Just about a block to the metro station, half a block to a cute park and pedestrian mall. The hosts were wonderful and even helped our teenagers order pizza for delivery one evening so we grown-ups could have dinner on our own. We would also highly recommend ordering Ephraim's homemade macarons, every flavor we tasted was yummy!

Room Tip: Our kids stayed in the Frontenac room which was great because they each had their own bed. We staye...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank LHBinshi
Concord, Massachusetts
Reviewed August 29, 2013

This is a wonderful B&B. I've stayed in every room in the house, and they are all very comfortable. The hosts, Ephraim and Yves, are welcoming and very helpful, whether you need tourist information or an electric drill (I have a daughter attending McGill University, and student accommodations in Montreal always need a parent's touch!).

The house is a wonderfully restored Victorian, with very modern plumbing, and built-in air conditioning (a recent addition that makes the heat and humidity of summer disappear very quietly). The street is quiet, but close to where many interesting things are happening.

Breakfasts are always a highlight. Ephraim produces some amazing meals, and I must say, over the four years that i've been staying at the GBM he has continued to expand his repertoire. But for me the highlight of breakfast is the conversation -- the GBM always has interesting guests, and Ephraim and Yves do an excellent job of making the morning meal an enjoyable social occasion.

The B&B is located in the Montreal Plateau, which is well located for any sort of activities in downtown Montreal. I prefer to leave my car parked during my stays in Montreal -- the Metro station is close by, and many interesting destinations are walking distance.

A word on the parking: you need to be careful about where you park. Every street has zones reserved for residents, and there are other parking restrictions as well. If you arrive late on a Friday night, you may find that the legal parking around the B&B is full, which can be a bother, since Montreal takes parking enforcement rather seriously. The GBM has off-street parking available, but I found it difficult to fit my Honda minivan in there. My smaller car (a Honda Insight) fit in there with no problem. So keep that in mind before reserving the carriage house parking.

Room Tip: One room has an ensuite bathroom, while the others you'll be sharing the bathroom with one other...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank rtenhove
As always, it is delightful to see you and your family on your visits. We thank you for your custom and for the trust that you have placed in us.
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed August 10, 2013

Great front door entry (access) strategy. Bed was lovely soft. Shower worked great. Option of air conditioner or open balcony door that has an easy to walk through screen for cool nights. These guys put a lot of thought into what their clients might like. Room barely large enough but large enough; balcony helped immensely. Great breakfasts. Hosts Eve and Stef excelled at helping us plan trips that included interesting walks and superb restos, markets, cafes and microbrews. They are opinionated intelligent urban entrepreneurs interested in all that life has to offer, including the quaint and absurd. I wouldn't hesitate advancing that no topic is beyond them exploring and given the short times we spent together (mainly we were out after bagels or libations) I was pleased that we delved into so many topics as our experiences and aspirations drove the conversations forward. If you are quick there will be an opinion to attempt to counter one minute and a hearty laugh to share in the very next. It really animated the table and though I can see where it might be grating at times I enjoyed the openness it is all aired within. Will stay again and recommend.

Room Tip: I think we were in the Carleton? Only one with a balcony that overlooks Laval St.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank John-Paul W
San Diego, California
Reviewed July 19, 2013

I would strongly recommend to travelers this B&B, which is in a 125 yr old brownstone (painted white). My wife, 12 yr. old son and I stayed in the Frontenac room, a large 2nd floor room with beautiful bay window overlooking the street. And what a pretty street it is...they were filming a TV show on the block one evening! Bathroom sharing posed very little problems. Overall, the location was excellent. Just a few blocks from St Denis and St Laurent with great dining options and the Metro.

Breakfast was very good. We had an early departure our last day and the owners were accommodating to our schedule. I was a bit disappointed though when the owner decided to offer cherry blintzes that day. Not a big fan. C'est la vie...there are always other cereals, bread, oatmeal, etc. to choose from.

The real value to me was the knowledge that the 2 owners (Ephraim and Yves) have of Montreal...while Ephraim is strongly opinionated in the topic du jour, overall, their recommendations and suggestions were excellent.

Bonne chance!