“Great location and friendly owners”

Gingerbread Manor Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #19 of 144 Montreal B&B and Inns
Dublin, Ireland
“Great location and friendly owners”
Reviewed September 5, 2013

I stayed here for a week in early August while attending a conference. I agree with many of the reviews here; great location just outside downtown with lots of restaurants a short walk away. Really friendly hosts. Room was small but very clean and well furnished. Shared bathroom was scrupulously clean as well. Would definitely stay here again if I return to Montreal.

Stayed August 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
Bloomington, Minnesota
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Our family of 4 recently spent a week at this great B&B. We had so much fun exploring Montreal and this was our home base. The location was perfect for us. Just about a block to the metro station, half a block to a cute park and pedestrian mall. The hosts were wonderful and even helped our teenagers order pizza for delivery one evening so we grown-ups could have dinner on our own. We would also highly recommend ordering Ephraim's homemade macarons, every flavor we tasted was yummy!

Room Tip: Our kids stayed in the Frontenac room which was great because they each had their own bed. We staye...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank LHBinshi
Concord, Massachusetts
Reviewed August 29, 2013

This is a wonderful B&B. I've stayed in every room in the house, and they are all very comfortable. The hosts, Ephraim and Yves, are welcoming and very helpful, whether you need tourist information or an electric drill (I have a daughter attending McGill University, and student accommodations in Montreal always need a parent's touch!).

The house is a wonderfully restored Victorian, with very modern plumbing, and built-in air conditioning (a recent addition that makes the heat and humidity of summer disappear very quietly). The street is quiet, but close to where many interesting things are happening.

Breakfasts are always a highlight. Ephraim produces some amazing meals, and I must say, over the four years that i've been staying at the GBM he has continued to expand his repertoire. But for me the highlight of breakfast is the conversation -- the GBM always has interesting guests, and Ephraim and Yves do an excellent job of making the morning meal an enjoyable social occasion.

The B&B is located in the Montreal Plateau, which is well located for any sort of activities in downtown Montreal. I prefer to leave my car parked during my stays in Montreal -- the Metro station is close by, and many interesting destinations are walking distance.

A word on the parking: you need to be careful about where you park. Every street has zones reserved for residents, and there are other parking restrictions as well. If you arrive late on a Friday night, you may find that the legal parking around the B&B is full, which can be a bother, since Montreal takes parking enforcement rather seriously. The GBM has off-street parking available, but I found it difficult to fit my Honda minivan in there. My smaller car (a Honda Insight) fit in there with no problem. So keep that in mind before reserving the carriage house parking.

Room Tip: One room has an ensuite bathroom, while the others you'll be sharing the bathroom with one other...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank rtenhove
GingerbreadManor, Owner at Gingerbread Manor Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, September 10, 2013
As always, it is delightful to see you and your family on your visits. We thank you for your custom and for the trust that you have placed in us.
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed August 10, 2013

Great front door entry (access) strategy. Bed was lovely soft. Shower worked great. Option of air conditioner or open balcony door that has an easy to walk through screen for cool nights. These guys put a lot of thought into what their clients might like. Room barely large enough but large enough; balcony helped immensely. Great breakfasts. Hosts Eve and Stef excelled at helping us plan trips that included interesting walks and superb restos, markets, cafes and microbrews. They are opinionated intelligent urban entrepreneurs interested in all that life has to offer, including the quaint and absurd. I wouldn't hesitate advancing that no topic is beyond them exploring and given the short times we spent together (mainly we were out after bagels or libations) I was pleased that we delved into so many topics as our experiences and aspirations drove the conversations forward. If you are quick there will be an opinion to attempt to counter one minute and a hearty laugh to share in the very next. It really animated the table and though I can see where it might be grating at times I enjoyed the openness it is all aired within. Will stay again and recommend.

Room Tip: I think we were in the Carleton? Only one with a balcony that overlooks Laval St.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank John-Paul W
San Diego, California
Reviewed July 19, 2013

I would strongly recommend to travelers this B&B, which is in a 125 yr old brownstone (painted white). My wife, 12 yr. old son and I stayed in the Frontenac room, a large 2nd floor room with beautiful bay window overlooking the street. And what a pretty street it is...they were filming a TV show on the block one evening! Bathroom sharing posed very little problems. Overall, the location was excellent. Just a few blocks from St Denis and St Laurent with great dining options and the Metro.

Breakfast was very good. We had an early departure our last day and the owners were accommodating to our schedule. I was a bit disappointed though when the owner decided to offer cherry blintzes that day. Not a big fan. C'est la vie...there are always other cereals, bread, oatmeal, etc. to choose from.

The real value to me was the knowledge that the 2 owners (Ephraim and Yves) have of Montreal...while Ephraim is strongly opinionated in the topic du jour, overall, their recommendations and suggestions were excellent.

Bonne chance!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Madison, Wisconsin
Reviewed July 17, 2013

The charming hosts put everyone at ease during breakfast (which was freshly prepared and the right balance of delicious and healthy.) Our room was comfortable for us, with a closet and drawers sufficient for our stay. The bathroom down the hall was spacious and looked new. We shared with two other rooms, but we never really saw or heard anyone else, except at breakfast. The property is a Victorian row house with much of the charm intact. Paintings and prints decorate the halls and common rooms, and lights come on automatically when you come in at night, or enter the hallways, so you never have to navigate stairs in the dark. This isn't a good property for anyone with mobility issues, but it's perfect for anyone who wants a comfortable, well priced room in a very convenient location. Be sure to ask the hosts for area recommendations.

Room Tip: The site I booked through didn't inform the hosts there were two of us. If we had phoned we migh...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank cyntax
GingerbreadManor, Owner at Gingerbread Manor Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, July 30, 2013
It was a pleasure to meet you and help you enjoy our great city of Montreal. We take great pride in our B&B and will always give our guests our 100%. Just have one little clarification to your review though, there is indeed 3 rooms on the floor you were on, but one of the room (De Maisonneuve) has it own private bathroom, so you were actually sharing with only one other room, and as you mentionned, sharing with one other room never seems to be a problem. It would be our great pleasure to be your hosts again if ever you decide to visit Montreal again.
Reviewed July 15, 2013 via mobile

I would highly recommend this B&B. I stayed in a smaller room, but larger rooms are available too. My room shared a bathroom, but it was never a problem. The location is perfect! The B&B is close to a beautiful small park, the Metro, and lots of dining options.
The hosts are friendly and a great sense of humor. Homemade breakfasts were delicious.

• Stayed July 2013