“They made my day"”

Ranked #15 of 144 Montreal B&B and Inns
San Diego, California
“They made my day"”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2011

Gingerbread Manor is the best place to stay in Montreal. The rooms are tastefully decorated to maintain an atmosphere of old-world comfort. Ephraim and Yves are gracious hosts and so knowledgeable about Montreal. Ephraim prepares delicious breakfasts, served in a lovely dining room. The neighborhood is full of interesting restaurants--and people. You can sit in the park on the corner and meet the neighbors. The Metro, a couple of blocks away, takes you all over the city. Couldn't be more convenient. I stayed for six nights and then returned for a seventh after a trip to Quebec City.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
Arlington, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2011

We stayed at the Wolfe and Montcalm Room because it was fully booked otherwise. Having to share a bathroom with just one other couple made it easy to share without much overlap. It was clean, neat and had a lot of character. Also DVDs and TV was nice to have for some down time. Air conditioning worked GREAT and was easy to figure out. The beds were nice.

The location was terrific, easy to walk EVERYWHERE in Montreal- Old Montreal, Chinatown, Museum of Fine Arts, 2-3 different Metro Stops, Latin Quarter and it is around the corner from Schwartz's Deli, St. Laurent Blvd., St. Denis and Prince Arthur Street (mostly for tourists, but still nice outdoor seating and people watching).

The breakfast was delicious and I'm pretty picky about my food. Good quality and tasty. They were very accommodating with making reservations/dinner suggestions and fun to talk to about Montreal's quirks.

Garage parking was not terribly convenient for the large car we had rented (Hyundai Sonata- not really that large even) so get the smallest car possible but I would advise people to get the garage space- parking in Montreal is rather spotty and I didn't really understand most of the signage. It was nice to have, but I'm sure Yves and Ephraim would have helped you out. They are very friendly (though they can't assemble a grill too easily). We had a wonderful wonderful time.

Room Tip: Get it early.
2 Thank pandagirl2000
Leeds, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 24, 2011

We arrived at the B&B late after a flight delay, however Ephraim was excellent at accomodating our change of arrival. The B&B is in a beautiful house and we stayed in one of the doubles with a shared bathroom, which was more than spacious enough for the two of us. I don't think the bathroom was shared between many other rooms so there was never a queue to use it.
Breakfast was different each day and always two course-french toast/waffles etc.
The B&B is well located for access to all areas of the city, most of which were within walking distance. The metro stop is only a few minutes walk away.
Overall I would recommend this B&B for its location and value.

sydney
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 24, 2011

We stayed in the room with the ensuite which was a lovely room, with great ambiance.

The house itself is gorgeous and very tasteful.

Location is ok and we managed to get parking on the street which was free which was a bonus.

Ephraim is a nice guy (one of the hosts), but does like to talk, it's like he stalks the people coming in and out of the place. You can't simply walk in and go up to your room, you end up with a 15 minute conversation. He's quite cheesy and does come out with a lot of "jokes" which grate on your nerves after a while.

Housekeeping was a little slovenly. We stayed for two nights and after being out all day, returned to the room on our second day, the bed had not been made, new towels had not be provided, so this was a big let down.

Breakfast was good.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank kjakeman
GingerbreadManor, Owner at Gingerbread Manor Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, May 25, 2011
Beds are made daily unless they are encumbered by personal items, as was this case, where personal items were strewn about the bed. Had we made the bed, no doubt this complaint would have been about our having touched their personal items, instead.

We actively participate in the CITQ and Quebec Ministry's programs on sustainable tourism. To that end, there are hooks in the bathroom that are clearly marked "to re-use towel." and when towels are left on these hooks, they are unchanged. Had you left the towels on the floor or in the shower, they would have been changed. Or you could have simply asked us and we would have gladly changed the towels for you. We also use central distributors for soap, shower gel, shampoo and conditioner. We keep a green recycling box at the front of the stairs. We also use laundry soap that is all natural, biodegradable and non-toxic as well.

Apparently you mistook the caring that Ephraim does for something that it is clearly not and certainly he isn't stalking anyone, considering the amount of work that he has to do in the house. An exchange of pleasantries is not stalking. And if you did not want to talk to him, you can simply say goodbye and leave. Asking if you had a good day or if you need any help before you go out for the day is an attempt to be helpful and part of the B&B experience.

We are sorry that you didn't enjoy your stay. You could have certainly made your stay better by simply asking us to make up your room once the personal items had been removed from the bed and by asking us for clean towels, instead of sulking about it afterward. It gives us no way to correct the situation nor to make your stay as pleasant as could be.
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 22, 2011

We spent three nights at the Gingerbread House in a room with a private bath. The room was very comfortable, nicely decorated, and had lots of amenities. Our hosts very friendly and had many of good suggestions for our visit. Breakfast every morning was freshly cooked and delicious. The location is convenient to public transportation, lots of restaurants and many tourist sites. We highly recommend this B&B.

1 Thank DJKorman
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 14, 2011

I can't say enough good things about our stay.
My daughter and I stayed here 5 nights, at the beginning and end of our trip. The first time, we were in a room with a shared bathroom, the second time a room with private bath. The b&b is on a quiet street, easy walking to interesting shopping, park, restaurants. It's a 15 minute walk to McGill University, so a good place to stay for parents visiting students.
The rooms were spacious, elegant and immaculate. Breakfasts were gourmet treats, plentiful and different every day. Bathrooms were supplied with anything I could imagine wanting when travelling, down to makeup and nail polish remover. Ephraim & Yves were so friendly and helpful, and genuinely care about giving their guests a good experience.
Try to book as far in advance as you can because rooms are in high demand. Also, the b&b is on 3 floors, so not advisable for anyone who has difficulty with stairs. I comparison-shopped when booking, and felt room price was good value before I arrived - now that I have stayed there, I think it is excellent value for the quality of accommodation.

• Stayed May 2011
3 Thank SMAF
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 8, 2011

Having only one day in Montreal, and having read the reviews regarding the chattiness of the hosts, I felt like I had not much time to waste and thus did not make myself very open to chatting with the hosts. I felt the hosts gave me just the right amount of space, interacted with humour, offered some helpful tips which I appreciated yet let me be for most of the time. Even though I was leaving the house in the morning prior to the prescribed breakfast time, one of the hosts was kind enough to still cook up an omelette for me and allow me to help myself to whatever was laid out on the breakfast table (which was an impressive lot). As one of the other reviewers said, although apprehensive of shared toilets/bathrooms, the one in this house never felt like I was sharing - it was clean and well equipped.
The location was great - within walking distance of a lot, and a closeby metro station provided access to the rest.
If I visit Montreal another time, I would love to chat to the hosts more to get more insider tips on what to visit.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled solo