“My favourite place to stay in Montreal.”

Gingerbread Manor Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #19 of 145 Montreal B&B and Inns
Reviewed April 28, 2011

Every since my eldest daughter expressed an interest in attending McGill University, I've been visiting Montreal regularly. My first choice for accommodation is the Gingerbread Manor. The house is well located, and the hosts very friendly and helpful.

Most recently, the end of my daughter's first year at McGill required my presence, to help move her out of university housing. Once again I chose to stay at the Gingerbread Manor. I was very appreciative of Ephraim's and Yves's hospitality, and their sincere wish to help my daughter as she adapts to Montreal. They are both great hosts, and good friends.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank rtenhove

Reviewed April 6, 2011

I would highly recommend the Gingerbread Manor to anyone traveling to Montreal for business or leisure. I stayed in the Champlain room for 4 nights. The atmosphere was charming. When I arrived (fairly late at night), Ephraim was still up to help me with bags and to get situated in the house. The house is absolutely beautiful. The room and the bathroom were spotless and equiped with anything you might need during your stay. Breakfast was lovely. It was very casual and welcoming with excellent food. There was always a nice variety of food with individual place settings for each guest. Ephraim and Yves were welcoming while still making guests feel comfortable if we couldn't stay long to chat. I'm looking forward to visiting the Gingerbread Manor on a more leisurely trip in the near future.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank mindyairr
Reviewed April 5, 2011

I stayed at the GB manor in the Champlain room for 5 nights while in town for business, and the experience was wonderful. Rooms and bathrooms were spotless every day, breakfast was fantatstic (and huge!!), and the location was perfect: 2 blocks to the metro which was easy to use and convenient to the convention center.

The hosts were wonderful. Ephraim in particular was very patient with me as I quizzed him for about 30 minutes about nearby restaurants, metro, stores, etc. and he drew locations on maps for me so I wouldn't get lost. He also told me what restaurants to avoid in town. In addition, after returning from an electronics store (to replace an item I left at home), Ephraim went online to see if he could get a better deal for me than what I paid in the store and get the item delivered to the house. He clearly cares about the welfare of his guests and wants to ensure that they have a good experience in Montreal. I also didn't feel like Ephraim and Yves were overbearing at all. Whether I had to dash and leave or I had time to stay and chat, either was fine with them!

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled on business
3  Thank lc125
Reviewed April 2, 2011

This B&B's location couldn't be better for exploring the best of Montreal. It's within walking distance to terrific restaurants, public transit, and in a charming neighbourhood on its own merits. We're architecture junkies, and this neighbourhood gave us plenty to gape at.

Yves and Ephraim were welcoming and congenial hosts. They are both very knowledgeable about their city and we left for our exploring each day with a handful of recommendations (and the occasional caveat) of places to eat and see. Ephraim kept us engaged in conversation over breakfast when he took breaks from his hot stove. Breakfasts were delicious and varied, with the tea drinkers equally well served as the coffee drinkers (much appreciated!).

Our room was spotless, including our private bathroom. Overall, the house was very quiet, with one exception of a late arrival perhaps not appreciating that the walls were not thick like concrete. Ephraim undertook to resolve that without any quibbling.

We would consider returning!

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 27, 2011

This is an experience. The hosts are gracious, knowledgeable and fun. The brekkie was lovely (blintzes!!!), the room magnificent, the towels fluffy. The Gingerbread Manor is centrally located, near the 'action streets'-St. Denis, The Main, Sherbrooke. it is clean, safe and so very comfortable. I would recommend Ephraim and Yves and theri Band B anytime.

An added bonus is the heritage that my spouse and E share...they ere exchanging jokes and anecdotes about their upbringing-so GGB is very special in a particular way for me.

Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank anubose
Reviewed March 24, 2011

The two owners of this Bed and Breakfast truly do go beyond to make sure their guests feel at home. The rooms were very beautifully decorated and, with the exception of the front hallway over-flowing with recycling, the house was exceptionally clean. I appreciated how they attempted to "go green" from their energy efficient lightbulbs to the shower supplies in a dispenser rather than in small bottles which always seem to go to waste.

On their website, they boast their exquisite breakfast menu, but found the majority of food to be fairly average. I do not, however, blame this on the hosts, but rather the general bland cuisine offered in all of Montreal. They added extra touches - such as one blackberry topping the champagne flute filled with yogurt and granola - which was lovely. However, the main course often seemed undercooked and quite "light". I feel if they spent less time on the presentation of the dish and more time paying attention to the quality and the food, the meals would have been more satisfying.

Yves and Ephraim are the two hosts at this establishment and together, they make a very good team. Ephraim has a terrible habit of "cornering" his guests and holding mostly one-sided conversations, while Yves actually appears to be paying attention to what his guests have to say.

Other than that little hiccup, the Bed & Breakfast was in a really marvelous location and the two men did offer plenty of information on good spots to see and eat, and were a huge help with guiding us through their metro system. If I went back to Montreal, I would have to strongly consider whether or not I wanted to listen to anymore of Ephraim's stories before returning to Gingerbread Manor. Unfortunately, this was really the only reason I could not bring myself to rate Gingerbread Manor 5 stars.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
GingerbreadManor, Owner at Gingerbread Manor Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded March 25, 2011

We are sadly disappointed to receive this critique. We work tirelessly to offer good food and friendly service. We are sorry that your felt that your breakfast was undercooked and "light" and we apologize if we didn't ask you if you wanted more, we certainly would have obliged. We are sorry that you felt that Ephraim's attempt at friendly story telling was too chatty and one-sided. If you do decide to try us again, he will take a vow of silence.

Reviewed March 20, 2011

Stayed recently w/ my husband and one of our friends. The room we reserved was perfect since it had a queen bed and a twin, with a bathroom in the bedroom. It was located on the 3rd floor (kind of difficult carrying my large luggage upstairs), the bedroom and the bathroom were very clean, and the bathroom looked like it had been remodeled fairly recently w/ a modern design. The bed was SUPER comfortable, I think it was memory foam. Both my husband and I slept very well on it. The B&B is owned by 2 gentlemen, both were very nice. Ephrem was the main host, giving us directions, tips, and preparing the breakfast. Ephrem has a sense of humor, although sometimes we didn't understand it, nevertheless, he was always nice. The breakfasts were VERY good, w/ many options like cereals, juices, pastries, toast, bagel, etc and then one main item. The first morning it was blintzes which were pretty good and the day after it was lemon-poppyseed pancakes which were absolutely amazing!! I couldn't get enough. All three of us fell in love w/ the pancakes and would definitely return just for the breakfast. We met some nice people at breakfast which was a plus. Parking is difficult so if you don't need a car, don't bring one. We reserved the garage in advance so that was nice but it was VERY difficult for my husband to reverse into the tight spot w/ ice and snow everywhere.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with friends