“Outstanding!!”
Review of L'Aromate

L'Aromate
Reserve with OpenTable
L'Aromate is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #545 of 5,719 Restaurants in Montreal
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Centre-Ville (Downtown)
Cross street: Metclafe
Description: Au ceour meme de la vie urbaine de Montreal, rue de Maisonneuve Ouest, coin Metcalfe, laissez migrer votre plaisir. Le jour, pour les gens d'affaires, un bar-bistro rythme et convivial; le soir, un bar-resto chaleureux juste assez anime pour qui adore s'impregner d'un veritable esprit fraternel. De plus, la gamme de produits L'Aromate, integree a notre savoir-faire culinaire, vous est maintenant proposee au bistro dans la section epicerie fine; sans oublier des produits fins gourmets, du pret a emporter jusqu'au service de traiteur. Dorenavant, savourez le menu du Bistro L'Aromate : de notre table d'hote a la votre. At the heart of urban Montreal, Bistro L'Aromate is a friendly bar-bistro during the day for the local business and a lively bar-restaurant during the evening. Come enjoy the range of products L'Aromate has to offer and experience our culinary expertise.
New York, NY
“Outstanding!!”
Reviewed October 10, 2013

The braised lamb is remarkable, and the omelettes are flavorful, perfectly cooked and a great way to start the day. Best restaurant in Montreal, hands down.

• Visited June 2013

Montreal, Canada
“Great food expérience”
Reviewed September 29, 2013 via mobile

Situated in downtown Montréal and walking distance from the theatre district, this high class restaurant is worth trying. Very well balanced menu with numerous interesting choices. The service was excellent and other than a slight slip up on one of the entrees (we had ordered the lamb with sauteed sweatbreads that weren't on the plate - only after we asked we were told that they didn't have any that night), the food was well presented and tasted delicious. A little Over $200 with a bottle of wine before tip.

Visited September 2013
Montreal, Canada
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A culinary delight !”
Reviewed September 22, 2013

Dinner out with a friend at l'Aromate turned into a real culinary delight. I had always noticed this attractive restaurant downtown attached to a hotel but never tried it.
We tasted many of the dishes offered, starting with a featherlight deep fried shrimp-fried in that perfect light and crispy batter all cooks strive for- in gazpacho. We had scallops seared to perfection, beef tataki, and the most tender marinated octopus. Next a dish of gnocchi was pure comfort! Then a black cod dish with homemade kimchi and Asian flavours was excellent! It was a feast for the eyes as well as our mouths and all plates were beautifully presented. To round it off we had a lemon curd dessert which was light and satisfied our sweet tooth without being overly sweet or heavy. The different textures and subtle tastes in that dessert were a delight!
Although this restaurant is known as a bistro, the dishes we had was pure fine dining. We heard that both the chef and patissiere have started working here not so long ago...a team to remember and follow!
The service was friendly and the surroundings very pleasant. The evening was a total success and I cannot wait to go back.

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank Beavanbel
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Terrible service, LONG wait time, good food”
Reviewed September 6, 2013

I rarely feel the need to write a review about a restaurant, but this one takes the cake for making their customers feel unwanted.

First of all, lets get the positive out of the way. The food was excellent! I had a Duck confit grilled cheese which comes with a poached egg on a bed of greens and bacon bits. It was delicious and I would come back to taste this again. That meal will run you ~20$ before tax. Definitely on the pricey side. My wife had an excellent omelette with spinach and brie. Very tasty, and again, very pricey.

Now for the bad. The service is horrendous. Our waitress repeatedly spoke to us in french despite my wife and myself speaking to her entirely in English. For a restaurant that is connected directly to a hotel; you would think they would address their customers in their language. But not here!

The wait time is abysmal! There were literally 2 tables to serve in the restaurant. My wife and I, and a businessman. It took a lil over 30 minutes to get our meal. 30 minutes! To make 2 plates. Not once did a waitress come up to us to excuse for the wait. They just sat by the kitchen chit chatting and giggling the whole time we were there.

Besides being rude to us by not speaking our language, the waitresses also were very inattentive. I waited 10 minutes after getting my meal served till I could get their attention since I wanted a refill of water.

I loved the food, but the wait time, poor service and high price make it less than worthwhile.

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank Christopher N
Reggio Emilia, Italy
“RUDE, TERRIBLE & UNPROFESSIONAL SERVICE”
Reviewed August 19, 2013 via mobile

I never write negative reviews and was contemplating if I should write this one or not. What is making me do it is the fact that I'm still thinking about how terrible we felt during our experience at this restaurant and how terrible I feel for the other diners that were yelled at by the head waitress.

I'll start by saying that it took forever to receive our meal. I'm not talking about steak, but scrambled eggs, toast and bacon. It was brunch.

When a nice man that had arrived there before is with his family asked why it was taking so long for their meals to arrive he was rudely told that the wait time (of more than an hour) was normal. She continued to raise her voice never once apologizing about the wait and argued with him and his wife about how their kitchen takes orders etc.
There was nothing normal about the service.. It was terrible.

There was clearly a problem in the kitchen (as it's open for anyone to see). The head waitress kept going over to see what the problem was and then would take her frustration out on the clients. The man and his family left and were asked to pay for their coffee and orange juice. When he produced a $100 bill he was told they had no change for it and had to use a card.

Another table of 6 people waited so long that they eventually got their meals for free.

At one point you could hear a lot of glass/plates from the kitchen break.

As we finished eating, paid and left they apologized to us for the wait and when we paid with our $100 bill, we were told that they would be happier to find us change than they were for the other gentleman.

How rude!! I was offended for the man that wasn't even there.

I'd also like to add that the place was not even full at all. There were 14 people inside with one table served already... So 12, and of those 12, 4 had left bc of the terrible service.

It took is over 2 hours to have brunch.

I have never experienced such rude and moody wait staff. That woman took out her inability to manage her team on her clients and it was totally inappropriate and quite frankly embarrassing.

It was an uncomfortable situation and we'll never be returning there again.

• Visited August 2013