“ok mexican, but one dish really stood out... jaime alcaraz montreal”
Review of Limon - CLOSED

Limon
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: Le Sud-Ouest (Southwest District)
Reviewed March 21, 2013

the food is gereally ok, but my dish was excellent...went with friends, and we all agreed that the chicken burrito with cheese and avocado was EXCELLENT....certainly would recommend that over the other things we had... jaime alcaraz montreal

Reviewed February 21, 2013

Limon is an eating experience. The decor is eclectic, with giant photographs of chihuahuas in wrestling masks, a direct view of the kitchen, loud music and ambient lighting. Portions were good sized and everything was fresh and delicious. The mixed ceviche, served under a "lid" of avocado, was delightful. The crab cakes with chipotle mayo were crispy and scrumptious. The barabacoa enchiladas didn't wow us, but they were nonetheless ample, tasty and served with fresh sides. The tacos were the real thing. Although we stuck with fairly cliché fare, the menu offers a lot of variety, which we'll explore on our next visit. The mojitos are very tasty (served in mason jars), and the margaritas are the stiffest I've had anywhere: no sweetness at all. My only criticism of this place is that the service could be a bit more attentive.
It seems a lot of people assume Mexican food should always be inexpensive, the same way people assume that Mexico is a "cheap" country to visit. The same patrons who give Limon a low score for value probably wouldn't have any problem paying these (quite fair) prices in a nice French or Italian restaurant. Quebec cuisine is more than poutine, and Mexico has more than taco stands. If you feel ready to put the words "gourmet" and "Mexican" in one sentence, you will probably enjoy Limon very much.

Reviewed February 5, 2013

When I thought Mexican I wasn't prepared for the more eclectic place that Limon brings. They offer the standards in Mexican cooking however I had a great filet mignon cooked in their unique style. Atmosphere was relaxed and we were not rushed. Service was good.

1  Thank plastx2
Reviewed January 3, 2013

Every time my friends and I walked past this restaurant we noticed there were very few people inside. Granted, it was new, and in a peculiar situation of sharing space with a breakfast/lunch restaurant of a different name. Limon took over the space at 5pm, with its own chef, wait staff and plates.
When we had dinner there one evening, there was only one other table of diners. Over our margaritas (C), we discussed the ambiance: tables set up much too close together, ten or more in a long row parallel to the windows in the center of the room, reminding us of a school cafeteria. We did like the menu's selections: authentic regional Mexican specialities from the Yucatan, Oaxaca, Vera Cruz, etc. One stunning problem was serving size vs. price of the appetizers we selected: calamari with chipotle sauce and guacamole and nacho chips at $11 and $9. The shockingly small handful of calamari was served with a tasty and spicy chipotle sauce served in a shot glass! We stared at it in disbelief that the restaurant had the nerve to charge so much for so little. The guacamole came with a very generous spread of taco chips--far too many for the small amount (perhaps one-third cup) of guacamole.
Although I enjoyed my meal of chicken enchiladas with mole sauce, my companion was not enthralled with his meal: enchiladas barbacoa. He thought the portion was small and the plate empty; there should have been black beans ( a cheap and plentiful addition to any authentic Mexican meal!) or something else on the plate with the meal in addition to the undistinguished scoop of rice.
The server was very attentive and pleasant throughout the meal. On our way out we thought that in a job where one is so dependent upon tips for one's salary, it must be really hard to work at a place that has so few diners on an average evening.
We so much wanted to like Limon and have it succeed at its Sherbrooke Street, Westmount location. However, IF we return, we will not order any appetizer or a $12 Margarita that disappoints. Because this restaurant strives for authenticity in its Mexican offerings, I think it's worth a second chance. We'll see.

1  Thank christine&gordon
Reviewed December 24, 2012

Only ones in the restaurant on Friday night in the Sherbrooke branch. Surprisingly the food was good,hot and presented in an interesting and imaginative fashion.Calameri entree not too breaded and crispy,guacamole perfect. Spicy shrimp main course was good with a good number of shrimp. Service attentive and knowledgable