“Four out of Five For Food and Service!”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Portus Calle

Portus Calle
Ranked #522 of 5,668 Restaurants in Montreal
Good for: Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Le Plateau Mont-Royal
Cross street: Rachel
Montreal
“Four out of Five For Food and Service!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2012

I'm surprised by all the negative reviews preceding mine. It seems as though we ate at a totally different Portus Calle! Well... we called earlier in the day to reserve and when we arrived they sat us at a great table next to the window. We went for the tapas. Two salads (one garden and one tomato salad), four cod croquettes, fried calamari, grilled vegetables and Portuguese sausage. The service started with a complimentary mise-en-bouche (salmon tartare on a small spoon). It was very good! Marinated olives are complimentary along with dayly-fresh bread, served with quality olive oil. We ordered the Portus Calle bottle of red wine ($45) which was fine. The total bill was $140 (including coffee, dessert and tip) which isn't cheap considering we were eating bit-sized portions BUT everything we ate was fresh and delicious. This place is always very busy and lively which is great. The service was excellent. We didn't have to run after the waiter to get our bill! The only down side (which is a big down side of us) was the techno music which really doesn't go with this place. It ended up getting on our nerves.

This is how we rated the atmosphere:
- 5 star for the look of the place which is beautiful and cozy
- 1 star for the music which is awful
- 3-star average

• Visited September 2012

• Korean first
Montreal
“Average in every aspect + seriosly overpriced”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2012

I didn't have any expectations as my friend picked the resto. However when you open a menu with cheapest main course priced $30 you start hoping for great taste and a touch of creativity. Very disappointing. While people are very nice and ambiance is OK our service was very slow: we spent 3 hours in the restaurant and it was not our choice. The bread was served in textile bags that were quite uncomfortable to use and it was fridge cold! My fish soup was in fact a spicy canned tomato soup (at least it tasted like this) with 3 pieces of 1 kind of fish. The funny thing was that my friends' main rice course sauce tasted very similar to my soup. My main course was OK but it had 2 thick bones in it, which I find again inappropriate for $30 dish. Taste was either flat or spicy canned tomato. I would say that it tasted like $12-14 food, not $30+. Never back again.

• Visited September 2012
1 Thank zhuksh
Miami Beach
“Underwhelmed”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2012

We went to this restaurant based on a review in the New York Times and were expecting something really terrific. We were both underwhelm and over priced. The service was very good and a large selection of wine. We decided to go with one of their rice /fish dishes which is supposed to be somewhat similar to a paella. However, it really lacked any flavor. May be if I had one of the other fish items on the menu, I would have had a better experience.

Visited August 2012
1 Thank MiamiBeachExplorer
Montreal, Canada
“Not worth it.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2012

IdaFiat sums it up on the dot.

I asked for my lamb to be well done, it was raw when i received it, i told the waiter i asked for it well done, he brought it back to the kitchen, not even 5 mins later i got the exact same plate, with the lamb just thrown on the plate.
It was tasty but not worth the price i paid. It is by far a portuguese restaurant.
if you want a quick meal, do not go there, youll be there ALLLLL night!

• Visited August 2012
2 Thank Biinx13
Montreal, Canada
“Terrible service and ambiance”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2012

Took my girlfriend to this restaurant on Saturday night for a "romantic dinner."
Considering the prices and some of the reviews I read before reserving, I was expecting a certain level of service. The service was basically non-existent, the staff at this restaurant is incredibly miserable. We had to ask for everything (drinks, menu, wine, bill etc...) 3 or 4 times before we actually got it. It took us forever to get served! The food was okay, nothing great, I would not go back...

• Visited August 2012