“great fish”

Cross street: Rachel
montréal
“great fish”
Reviewed July 2, 2012

in the heart of the portuguese district. frah fish you can actually choose.
Helena the owner/cook is there to help most nights.

Visited September 2011

• Korean first
vermont
“Poor service--cannot recommend.”
Reviewed June 16, 2012

We had to remind the waiter for our appetizer, waited 45 minutes for entrees to arrive. Two people were served first and then it took another 10 minutes to serve the other two people. Very awkward. Food was ok. No apologies from the aloof staff. Maybe we hit a bad day? Others seem to have had better experiences here.

• Visited June 2012
1 Thank p169649
Montreal
“Amazing experience, once again”
Reviewed May 16, 2012

We were a party of 5 and decided to try plenty of the tapas on the menu as it was a great way for my guests to discover the diverse flavours Portuguese cuisine has to offer. One person in our party is lactose-intolerant, they were flexible enough to build a menu around this particularity.
It started off with the perfectly cooked tuna cubes with sesame seed and its own Tartare sauce. Delightful in its simplicity, delicious in its taste. Following this was the warm cherry-tomatoes and goat cheese. Although a little bland in flavour, and the tomatoes not being ripe enough, it was still refreshing. I would have preferred the cherry-tomatoes’ skin to be slightly cracked open to facilitate its manipulation. It’s a very difficult task to pick at a firm cherry-tomato with a fork. It could me messy if you pierce it and it blows up on your clothing. Luckily, they provide a spoon to ease your worries.
The deep fried cod balls with the piri-piri sauce were delectable. The garlic shrimp, happily bathing in their spicy piri-piri sauce, were inconceivably scrumptious. I know it’s not proper restaurant etiquette to plunge your bread in the sauce, but I did. Hey, I’m paying for this meal, I may as well eat it…regardless, this is the second time I have this dish and it’s also the second time I eat ALL the sauce. On the table, you are provided with regular bread an typical Portuguese corn bread. Don’t have too much of that, it’s a pretty dense bread and you could easily fill up on it, except you won’t be hungry for the rest.
The octopus salad followed. No special tricks for chef Helena on how to cook the octopus.
It was p-e-r-f-e-c-t -i-o-n. It was not too firm, nor too soft and finished with a lightly grilled touch.
The piece de resistance was the halibut with the truffle slice and oil. I had a whiff of truffle as soon as the plate was set under my nose. I did not believe that the marriage of the two could actually complement the flavours. They did. It could have had a little bit more salt (I’m usually not one to salt very often) but there wasn’t a salt shaker in sight.
We couldn’t settle for a specific dessert, so we took a panoply of them on a single plate. Three-tiered chocolate mousse, Pasteis de Nata, Figs stuffed with chocolate, Molten chocolate mountain and little almond cakes. Do I really need to say anything else?
The service was impeccable, quick and very discreet. We were only interrupted in our conversations to get the information about what we were going to eat next. The plates were immaculately presented. Every dish was a freshly painted canvas of colours and scents. A must if you’re ever in Montreal. Reservations mandatory. Note: It was packed on a Tuesday evening.

• Visited May 2012
Whitehorse, Canada
“Fresh seafood, great ambience”
Reviewed April 23, 2012

The thing I love most about dining out in Montreal is the lively ambiance of the restaurants. People are out to have a good time, and restaurants feel warmer and less pretentious. This place was no exception.

The staff were very helpful in selecting tapas and wine for our table to share. We took their recommendations (which closely matched our own list), and they were attentive the rest of the evening with explanations of the dishes and beverage top-ups. It took a while to flag our waiter down at the end to get our bill, but that seems to be the norm everywhere.

The desserts were the highlight for me. Definitely save room for dessert! I also love Portuguese white wine, and again, I'd recommend going with the waiter's pick.

It's best to make reservations, and since parking is nearly impossible in that neighbourhood, I'd suggest taking a taxi. Valet parking is also available (maybe on just the weekends).

• Visited April 2012
New York City, New York
“Quite authentic (except for the prices)”
Reviewed April 20, 2012

My family on my mother's side is Portuguese. My mother, grandmother, aunts and uncles are all fantastic cooks.

You will find many of the traditional Portuguese dishes on the menu and they are well prepared. I really enjoyed my dinner there with friends.

The restaurant has an extensive collection of Portuguese wines in its cellar.

• Visited April 2012